New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can’t fix stupid!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, somehow I managed to load a batch of 44 mag bullets (Hornady 300 gn) and some and primers but no powder. Of course, a bullet, possibly two my gunsmith suspects,are lodged in the barrel in such a way that it is partly in the barrel and not completely out of the case and the cylinder will not open. It is a SuperRedhawk. And live rounds in the other cylinders. My local gunsmith could not tap them out so fearing irreparable damage he soaked it in WD 40 for 3 weeks and sent it to Ruger thinking they would remove the barrel, clear it out and all would be well. Ruger responded that they considered it irreparable and offered to replace it at a reduced price. Mighty nice of them since without a doubt I am the problem, not the gun. I really do not think they wanted to mess with it. I would really like to have this gun put back into working order if possible since Mag Na Port worked on it and I am attached to the gun. I am open to suggestion if anyone knows of a shop which might be able to salvage my gun. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I think it was speerchucker that made a stuck bullet remover using grease and threaded pipe and rod. Should be able to do a search and find it. Might be tricky with two bullets stuck but IF you got one pushed into the cylinder just right you might be able to open the cylinder and then get the other out. The hard part would be attaching to the end of the Redhawk barrel.

I think he had his on utube.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, accidents do happen, that's why we call them accidents. I bet you'll double-check everything in the future. That is not a reprimand as we have all done thoughtless things but looking back with the proverbial hindsight being 20/20 that in all honesty there was a large part of ourselves to blame. I had a friend that I used to load for but he got so interested that he wanted to start doing it himself. That's a good thing. Dbl. charging your cases is not. He blew up an S+W 686 + blamed it on the RCBS scale. Maybe, but if the truth were known I'll bet there was some beer involved. Regardless RCBS sent him a new scale + revolver no cost. Cheaper than a suit. Just a thought here. I know they make a screw bullet puller on a shaft for use on black powder guns that have a wet charge + need to pull the bullet. Also, I would not use WD-40, I would use Kroil oil. It displaces to one millionth f a particle. It WILL penetrate anything.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. How would I find speerchucker videos? Also, this is all on me. The only thing I can figure is that the powder measurer must have run out and me not noticed it. I “usually” look down in the cases after I have charged them with powder to see if powder is in them and if it appears that the level is the same. Obviously my mind, such as it is(I am married so I lose IQ points daily),was on something else that day, probably politics and the swamp. Anyway, I am going to cast around and see if I can find a shop which will attempt to get the barrel off. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I think the hydraulic pressure of the grease was brilliant. Liquid can't be compressed, the basis for hydraulic drives and cylinders. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long is the barrel? I would use a long drill then tap them.( 1/8" six point socket on the tap) Piece of all thread, a fender washer on the crown, and then a nut to pull em out. Like removing a stuck case from a die.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tapped a more then one bullet back into their cases/cylinder stuck just like you have/had.

Did Ruger send it back to you.

I don't under stand why your smith didn't try.

As far as one or two bullets it is fairly easy to measure that and know.

A tight fitting brass rod but I have used a steel rod.

If you want you can get a little fancy and drill the end to fit the bullet nose better.

Doesn't take much effort to do.

To bad we didn't know each other most likely in less then 5 minutes I would have solved your problem.

Normally finding the rod takes longer then fixing the problem

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
look in the Gunsmithing forum.....second column down...Mechanical Drawings for barrel shanks and parts....Bottom of page 5

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I am curious to see if Ruger will return it.

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also wondering why a gunsmith would even think about shipping a loaded firearm.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be missing something, but is there a reason you can't unscrew the barrel? I can see on a standard redhawk, but on the super redhawk the ejector shroud is part of the frame isn't it? Unscrew barrel, remove cylinder and drive bullet back out of barrel. I've only worked on blackhawks, so I may be missing a key bit of info.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I may be missing something, but is there a reason you can't unscrew the barrel? I can see on a standard redhawk, but on the super redhawk the ejector shroud is part of the frame isn't it? Unscrew barrel, remove cylinder and drive bullet back out of barrel. I've only worked on blackhawks, so I may be missing a key bit of info.

I’ve had a barrel break off in a SRH. They are tight.
It may unscrew easily......but they are known for being a pain.

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A jeweler should be able to cut the bullet in the cylinder/ forcing cone. I had this done to a 357 that had several bullets in the barrel.

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote