Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy cast loads for the 1911
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Curious who has worked up loads for the 1911 using cast bullets running 250-255. I have the Lee 452-255-RF mold to cast for .45 Long Colt, and it looks like it would feed through my Ruger Commander.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have a similar bullet in 45 super loads from Buffalo Bore. Haven't used them in 1911 but in a Block with extended barrel and heavy recoil spring and guide, it works. Never tried a standard load with that bullet in the 1911. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried that very bullet in my M457 years ago. It shot okay over 7.0 grains of AA-5. That was a standard pressure load. I occasionally had a FTF so I went back to jacketed bullets. A 1911 may feed it just fine.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks TX.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 255gr swc 452 hard cast at 875fps using Herco.

No pressure signs. Most likely could go a bit higher that bullet at that speed should penetrate well.

Shoots well out of SR1911s and my P90.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herco would be a good choice, I use Unique.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Could one find a satisfactory load with 571/HS-7 for this heavy bullet loading?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only find loads for 571 for under 230grs bullets

I find a HS7 load for a 260gr bullet at 9.3grs in my lee manual.

I would use that as is with a 255 bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 255gr SWC mold that I have loaded up a few in ACP to see how they work from my Revolver but not from my 1911s. Pretty stout loads though. Now for all my 45ACP I use the RCBS 230gr Cowboy bullet. Works like a champ out of my two Kimber 1911s and my 45 cal revolvers.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
255 gn LEE RNFP
5.5 gn Unique
757 fps from Colt 1911 Gold Cup.

Taper crimped behind the crimp groove.

Picture of SFC Hulka
posted Hide Post
While I have found some great accuracy with cast bullets in .45 ACP, for me the cost savings and difficulty wasn't worth the trouble - plus all that indoor smoke from vaporized lube. I'll stick to cast for the revolvers and jacketed/plated for the self-loaders.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well here I am in the new year with a Springfield XDm in .45 ACP and no ammo, so I have to work up a load with the Lee 255 and Universal Clays or just say bang.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'll be happy to send you a box of my loaded cast 230G. w/ blue dot but that is a temporary fix, but it will buy you a little time. Let me know, I'll be glad to do it, Amigo.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, thanks for your generous offer. Check PMs.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just stepped back inside from shooting my XD5.25. With a lead 185gr SWC over green dot.

With my big snow banks I can stand on my plowed drive way and almost shoot 360 degrees.

Another plus it is easy to find and pick up brass.

Of all my 45acp pistols I find my XD to be one of the nicest shooting ones.

posted Hide Post
This has worked in every .45 Auto I've tried it in (S&W M&P45 FS, HK, Dan Wesson full size 1911, Kimber commander size, Ruger LW CMD) except the Kahr CW45. The Dan Wesson owner was particularly impressed.

Finished chronographing and had 4 left.

Would use these with discretion to prevent excessive wear.

FWIW,

Paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking cartridge

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I had issues with my slide being about 2 millimeters shy of going into battery with these test loads with the Lee 255 over 4.5 of Universal. I sized them to .452, and they likely should be .451 and seated just a smidge deeper.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had issues with my slide being about 2 millimeters shy of going into battery with these test loads with the Lee 255 over 4.5 of Universal. I sized them to .452, and they likely should be .451 and seated just a smidge deeper.

I would agree that is a flat fat bullet not normal .45acp fare.

Looks like a good bullet if you can get them to feed and function in a auto

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
P. Dog, I ran 20 through the XD yesterday. Recoil was stout, similar to the Federal HST +P rounds I was testing. With about half of them, the slide failed to go fully into battery -- maybe by 2 mm -- and I had to slap the back of it to seat the bullets fully. Examination of one round showed the bullet ogive engaging the rifling just forward of the case mouth, so I will try seating them just a smidge deeper. My sizer is .452; sizing to .451 might have helped as well. I did not put them on paper -- just shot offhand at a 50-yard gong. Keep in mind the XD has a total of less than 50 rounds through it so far.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have got by loading 255gr 452s SWC in my 45acp's.

I had some problems loading 315gr WFNs into the mag of my 44mag Ruger model 96 carbine.

I had to seat them just a little bit deeper.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seating them a bit deeper seems to have solved the feed/battery issue. Now to try a larger sample.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Paul105
Did you use extra power recoil springs with the 255s?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Paul105
Did you use extra power recoil springs with the 255s?

No. Very limited use. If I planned to use continuously in a 1911, I'd install a flat bottomed firing pin stop and if not enough, I'd experiment with heavier springs.

FWIW,

Paul