THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    PSA on the 625-9 SW cyl release

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA on the 625-9 SW cyl release
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Howdy,
I have a 625-9 mountain gun (ss 45c) and as ya'll know, i've hunted with it for years - last 2 years, it's spent most of the time in a holster, due to work and life piling up.

here's the PSA -
Couple nights ago, I took it out to clean it, and the cyl release lever had fallen off, leaving only the tiny threaded stud sticking. The good part was, is it was in a confined space, I was able to find both the lever/button and the screw cap to put it back together.

HOWEVER - these was no thread lock on the stud, and it's a low torque straight slot screw cap - so, check it once in a while, tighten as needed, and/or put some low strength thread lock on it.

if it had happened outside of a confined space, it would have resulted in ordering parts, or a weapon malfunction

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38452 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I found mine loose on a SW 329. Check your gear regularly, you never know.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would put a touch of thread lock on it. It’s not like it’s something you need to remove very often for maintenance. Even then, I’d check it occasionally.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
As soon as I get my hands on a big bore S&W revolver I blue Loctite the screw head (nut) for the opening latch and the screw for the front of the rear site. If you're really using the gun, both of those will loosen up and cause problems.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good to know.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Been there done that. It has been so long I have forgotten which S&W it was. Blue Loctite is your friend used sparingly. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
While we're talking about it, I've found out the hard way that on Blackhawk's I also needed to use a bit of Loctite on the Base Pin Latch Nut (on the frame just forward of the cylinder) and the Ejector Housing Screw (forward end of the ejector housing).

Watch the Extractor Rod on the S&W revolvers too, but that one is more problematic to Loctite.

I'm sure there are others handguns that shake loose here or there too, but those are the ones I have the most experience with. And my safe queens never shake loose (or even get dirty) so if you don't carry or shoot any of them much there probably won't be issues.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure there are others handguns that shake loose here or there too, but those are the ones I have the most experience with. And my safe queens never shake loose (or even get dirty) so if you don't carry or shoot any of them much there probably won't be issues.

dancing

As a police armorer for a 500 person department I inspected hundreds of handguns a year.

When handguns are carried 8 to 10 hours a day year around they get all kinds of wear and tear on them.

That is why I prefer stainless ones they just hold up better.

Blued ones soon show wear shortly.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
PDog --
you just described my my first model 25 .. long time police holster wear .. seller claimed low round count.. shot like a dream ... even though it looked like it had been vapor blasted! and just one of the reasons i like stainless!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38452 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote