Notify
Tools

Ruger Scope Repeatability
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
Sirs,

How are Ruger scope rings about returning to zero after you remove/reinstall a scope on your revolver? Are they generally fairly repeatable or do you have to do a bunch of sighting after you take the scope off? The mounts look like they would return to zero fairly well but I wanted some feedback from others with scoped Rugers.

Thanks!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
they go beck close enough that it doesn't matter at handgun distance, like .5-1.0" at 50 yards.
There is a trick. Lightly snug each thumb nut, then tap on the the off side (screw cam side) with the handle of a screw driver as you tighten the thumb nut by hand. This will seat the screw cam full and repeatably. When both nuts are hand tight, tighten them with a flat steel choke tube wrench.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I don't like to take them off, even 1/2 an inch can make a difference, sure it might only be off 1/2 an inch at 50 yards, but what about 100 yards? which is not too far of a range for a good hand gunner. I always check my zero before I go hunting and I think you should also.

I never found them to go right back to zero, never.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While they may be satisfactory when it comes to repeatability they are know to come loose when shooting, especially with heavy loads. After shooting a string of rounds I always check to make sure they are tight. I have found them loose many times.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only remember one setup that was foolproof and that was the old B&L mount system. There was a base on every gun and you could switch the scope from gun to gun. The scope had no adjustment and the base was adjusted on each rifle. The spring and cone system locked the scope exact each time. Some of the new quick release rings work but nothing is as good as the B&L. I wish they still made them.
Today, any time a scope is removed the gun should be re-sighted.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have fired thousands of full-power rounds through 3 Ruger SRHs and have never, ever had the rings "come loose." And most of those loads have featured 320 grain bullets with near-max charges of H-110.

Taking the setup off and then returning it gets you close -- maybe within an inch or so at 100 yards, but I firmly believe in re-checking EVERYTHING and leaving nothing to chance.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9325 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

What is your secret(procedure)for getting the rings to where they don't shoot loose? I have had this happen on my Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunters in both the 44 Rem Mag and a 410GNR(454 Casull necked down) so perhaps I am doing something wrong while tightening them down.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The key is to make certain the area is completely clean and void of any dust, grit, fouling, corrosion, etc. Even a minute amount can cause the rings to experience a slight shift, and with the forces that the .44 Magnum and similar cartridges create, that will contribute to it shooting loose.

I also dab a bit of Lok-Tite on the threads.

My current Ruger SRH is a 7.5" version, and it's had 8-900 rounds through it with the current scope atop it. Since the original sight-in, I have not adjusted anything, and it's still dead on. I used it last week to take out a 'possum from app. 60 yards. Guess the 320 grain bullet may have been a bit of overkill...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9325 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a fox run past my tree stand last year and when the 320 hit it, it slammed the fox into the ground and there was not a wiggle from it. Not overkill, just fun.
We have too many fox and we lost 45 chickens one year. Now I pen them and a fox still got in the coop and killed 17. I had to net the outside pen.
Now we have coons get in the barn and eat all the cat food, make a mess and leave droppings on my lumber.
No one traps anymore to keep them thinned down. Price of fur isn't worth the work and expense.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I am probably the only person in the county who still traps with any degree of consistency. No, there's not much $$ in it, but I still do it out of necessity (we have a few chickens, ducks, etc.) and because I truly love doing it.

No young people want to learn about it. Before long, trapping will be a lost art.

As to the 320s, a fox I shot one evening a couple of years ago had a similar reaction. The bullet took him through the chest and exited the hip with virtually no damage to the fur.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ