Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting loads for 50 AE?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I see few loads for the 50 AE and need a variety. I could use some lighter weight bullet loads for practice and some hunting loads, principally for whitetail and hogs. Not Federal hogs but ferals. Thanks in advance. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done quite a bit of hog hunting with many loads. I'll have to look at my load data tomorrow. But every hog I hit went down very quick.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have a few factory loads from HSM. But mainly I have the Starline brass, RCBS dies, and 325 Gr bullets coming from Midway. Supposedly shipped already. I am not sure if I will need powder as I have H110 800X, and others here. Will see if I can load from what I have. Thanks and Be Well, Packy.

posted Hide Post
By 325 grain bullet weight, I presume you are loading the Speer. The 14th manual lists the following loading data;

H110 29.4 1298 32.6 1437
296 29.5 1279 32.7 1409

800X is going to be too fast for your application.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about the 800X. I use it for loads in the 45 Super. How about a 275 gr plated HP? It is what I bought for my 50 GI and I had hopes I could use some of them for the AE? I just went to the shop to look, the 275 gr are from the now defunct Rainier company. At least I have almost 500 of them. So I guess I have mine. These are for .50 cal guns I won't use in as high of volume as 45 acp and 9MM. Anyone have a load? Thanks to MS Hitman. Still looking for all the data I can find. And Thanks to Steel for checking. TIA Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So my plinking loads are 335 grain Rainer bullets behind 28 grains of the lil gun. My hunting loads are speer 300 grain total metal jacket behind 30 grains lil gun. Hawk 350 grain bullet with custom .050 thick jacket for added penetration behind 28 grains of lil gun. And last but, one of my favorites is the 400 grain barnes buster behind 24 grains lil gun. Besides my plinking rounds, all ammo killed well, cycled well, and no pressure issues. I'm sorry I cant seem to find velocity numbers. I killed a large 300 pound boar with the barnes buster rounds and it penetrated the shield, both shoulders and was not recovered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All rounds fired through a desert eagle both 6 inch and 10 inch barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks loads Steel! Where do you find a ten inch barrel? I looked on the web site but not much there. Lots of caliber change kits but I only want a longer barrel for the sight radius and small velocity gain. But the weight out forward has better recoil attenuation. The gas system helps as well. I shot it about four hours ago and my buddy said the concussion wave was bad beside me. It was milder to me than a lot of 44 mag loads I have shot and that from a 9.5" barreled SRH. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add the front sight was really hard to see indoors at the range. I have whiteout and a florescent pink plastic that can be set on the blade. I think a small patch of pink plastic at the top and white below that may do the trick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the 10 inch barrel from someone on the forum. I have a leupold 2x-8 handgun scope on the ten inch barrel. That application is good for tree stand or blind hunting due to size and weight. My six inch barrel has green and red fiber optic sights which make it easier to see the sights. I like the six inch barrel for hunting on the move. I have a shoulder holster and the gun packs really well for hog hunting with dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.50AE Desert Eagle goes Hog hunting. - Topic
http://forums.accuratereloadin...591018191#6591018191

Here is a write up of a hog hunt I did with the 10 inch scoped .50ae with the barnes buster bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Steel. You have provided info I couldn't get from most sources. Good hunting and Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone share H110 loads from a current Barnes manual? For a 275 gr in the 50AE? TIA. Be well, Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did the loads out of the 10 inch barrel seem to hit harder? Did you have data showing the effect of the ten inch over the six inch barrel? Chrono data? Thanks Steel. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I honestly did not test it, but there are you tube videos where they do. That would be your best bet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up Kentucky Kentucky ballistics desert eagle .50ae vs .500 magnum the rematch on YouTube. It's a cool comparison on a 10 inche desert eagle vs 10 inche .500 sw magnum using comparable bullets. Pretty interesting, the .50ae did very well against the .500sw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the shootability could be better in the Desert Eagle. A gas powered pistol with that heavy barrel doesn't seem to kick that badly with 325 Gr Factory loads. Really would like to get a ten or twelve inch barrel though. That would be my test gun. I have an SRH Ruger with 9.5" barrel that's a pussycat to shoot. If it were a 45 LC I would not have looked at this D.E. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the .50ae did very well against the .500sw.

steel: Not a valid comparison. The 500 S&w Mag used a 440 grain hard cast and the 50AE used a 350 grain full metal jacket. Looking at Hodgdon load data for 325 grain bullet and H110 powder the 500 Mag maximum velocity was 1951 fps and the 50 AE was 1431 fps. That is a more accurate comparison of the 2 cartridges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the .500 and .50ae and love both rounds. They both use the same bullet but the .500 has more case capacity. So the .500 will always outperform it, but it is nice to see the .50ae hold it's own, when everyone always underestimate the .50ae as a hunting round

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 50 Guncrafter Industries or 50 GI. It uses a bit lighter bullets to achieve decent velocities. The 50 AE is quite a bit larger yet. Then the 500 S&W gets even larger. So I have two of those calibers. I just am amazed at the prices they want for the X frame. But probably you could get a four shot 54 caliber round in it. Use minie' bullets of 54 caliber. Just dreaming there. Be Well, Packy.