Find
Notify
Tools

500 S&W Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,

I have founds a lot of loads for my 500 S&W using H110, lil'gun, and titegroup.

I need some loads for Unique that are on the lighter side.

Any recomondations?

Thanks
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Based on the case capacity, Trail Boss may be a better choice for reduced loads. You can find loads for two different bullet weights at hogdenreloading.com.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Lyman manual lists 18gr of Unique as their min for 1370fps with a 350gr bullet.

I have been shooting a 14gr load of Titegroup behind 350gr cast lead as my practice load. Gets up to about 1100fps and is incredibly accurate. I use CCI 200's in this load.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I've been using 18 grains of unique and a 275 grain Barnes for deer hunting. Very good load in my gun.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey buckeyeshooter,

Just curious, how much of the case does that 18 grains fill? I have to watch against double charges on the smaller cases.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is over 1/2 but not by much. It would be possible to double charge but it would be compressed. My guess is you would see it before seating on a single stage press.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
It is over 1/2 but not by much. It would be possible to double charge but it would be compressed. My guess is you would see it before seating on a single stage press.

Thanks. That's why I run everyone off while reloading, cuts out the distractions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:

Thanks. That's why I run everyone off while reloading, cuts out the distractions.

Another good reason to use Trail Boss.It really fills a case up!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan of this one. You get 20% less powder by weight in a can and the same price as the other powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Ross has some load suggestions for the 500.

Here is the link to the article

http://www.john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaytod:
John Ross has some load suggestions for the 500.

Here is the link to the article

http://www.john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf

Excellent read!!! thanks for posting,,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never been a fan of this one. You get 20% less powder by weight in a can and the same price as the other powders.

Because of its bulk ,you get more loads than a standard 1 pound can of what ever.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the suggestion of John Ross' article, I tried IMR 4759.

I have used it in 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh and 500 S&W with the same results. Generally, it provides a approximate 3/4 power level load.

A full case in:
45 colts with 335's gave about 950
475 with 400's gave about 1080

An 80% load density with a 410 custom KT in the 500 S&W gave 1075 fps. With 4" barrel.

No possibility of a double charge and good loading density.

This works extremely well in the big cases. However, the bad news is Hodgdon has elected to drop that powder, citing low demand and high costs.

In my correspondence with Chris Hodgdon, I suggested that the above mentioned application be explored, and the powder subsequently re-released with a new, more marketable name. My suggestions were

Trail Boss HUNTING, or Trail HUNTER which would many would correlate to a reduced load but with bolder hunting velocities.

The powder's bulky structure does well in this application, but there will be those that dislike it for that same reason. Oft times we cannot get everything we want.

If you use this powder and find it's above attributes to be true. Give Hodgdon a call and express your interest in it continues production.

ON a last note, it is one of the powders that receive a favorable nod for many cast bullet applications in the Lyman Cast bullet loading guide.

I've not used it in rifles yet, but I can see where it would get the nod by Lyman for that application as well.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
quote:

Because of its bulk ,you get more loads than a standard 1 pound can of what ever.

Yes, but it is more expensive cost per shot than bullseye or unique.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about this or a "Mild" load?

Starline brass
685 grain LWFN ( no gas check)
CCI LRM primer
26 grains of WC 820
MV 1000-1100 fps.

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote