THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    S&W 29-2 44 Magnum, I think it is cool...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 29-2 44 Magnum, I think it is cool...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a S&W 29-2 44 Magnum today.

I am not a collector but I think this is a cool handgun: S serial number put this gun at pre 1970 manufacturing date, 4" barrel and blued.
Paid the equivalent of a 1000US $ here in South Africa

The gun is absolutely pristine with absolutely no wear marks from handling or carrying.

Would I be a sinner if this gun is shot and used as a plinker and hunting gun???

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could shoot the heck out of it and it would still be worth way more than you paid for it. I think it'd be a sin to NOT shoot it. I have a 4" nickel 29-2, but a later mfg. date (1979), and it's a hoot to shoot. Have at it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting, plinking and hunting with a 29-2 44 magnum puts you in very good company. Shoot it and enjoy it.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really forward to owning and shooting this gun!!

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post a report of chasing bush pigs and warthogs with it?

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nice gun indeed. I had a 4" 29-2 years ago that was ported like yours + it was a dream to shoot.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently have 9 model 29's. My original was an 8 3/8 blue. I probably have put at least 20,000 rounds through it and love it. Have taken mule deer, Aoudad sheep, badger, and I can't count the number of rabbits I shot. I love it.
Shoot it and enjoy.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your not a collector, you don't need a closet queen, go shoot it and enjoy what it is designed for..That model isn't all that collectable as a matter of fact, its just scarce and that adds to its value..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, gentleman.

This gun is going to slot in well with my Ruger 22 pistol, 38SP snubby and Kimber 45. Planning on casting lots of bullets for a warm 44SP load for practice and then some full house Magnums loads for hunting and paddling in croc country.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that would make it better was if it was a 629.

Stainless steel handguns hold up to every day use. A lot better then blued ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Stainless steel handguns hold up to every day use. A lot better then blued ones.

a 44 revolver has been in my sights for a couple of years now. For some reason single action just don't do anything for me and I was thinking of a Redhawk. We have got a multitude of other Rugers - no1's, 2 22LR handguns and a 77/44 in the gunroom. Obviously I was thinking of a companion handgun for the 77/44.

In the 2nd hand market most of the Redhawks have 6" or longer barrels and I want something to pack when paddling and hunting. On your side of the Atlantic I would have bought a new Redhawk or 629.

On this side I am just going to shoot and enjoy one of the USA's most iconic handguns and calibres!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Rugers, Smiths and Taurus's 44's in the house.

All double action.

I had two Blackhawks put sold them both as I do not like single action revolvers'

My 5.5 inch Redhawk is the most liked it is a could compromise in barrel length

Plus it gives be the best velocity of them all.

Yes it is nice to live in a free country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It certainly is. Let's hope we can keep it that way.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

I traded into a 629-5 a few months ago. Have $1200 in it. It has a 3" barrel and Lew Horton (whoever the hell he was?) wood grips. It is my walking and hiking carry gun here in Alaska.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, you got a good deal. Those Lew Horton's bring a premium.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lew Horton

Was a big dealer/wholesaler out of the MPLs St. Paul area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of his 3" 44 spls. years ago that was stolen. I recall when S+W put out their Texas Wagon Train commemorative in the 80s in 44-40 I contacted them to see if they were going to offer a new N-frame in that caliber since they were already tooled up. They said no, but if I wanted to order 50 of them they would sell them to me + stamp on any name I wanted. Obviously that didn't happen. I believe that Lew Horton bought way more than 50 when he made his run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still have my 29-2 with 3Ts and 8 3/8" barrel. My Dirty Harry revolver.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are great guns + inherently accurate using the 250 G. Keith bullet. I have had several over the years + still kick myself for ever selling any of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have 6" 629.
Always considered porting it?
Any comments on those that have? positive / negative?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can see my ported 4" in post number 2. It definitely keeps down muzzle flip for faster follow up shots. Recoil does NOT feel much different to me.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Balule,
I have a ported 44 mag with 4 inch barrel, and I will give you a tip so you do not make the mistake that I did.

While servicing a deer feeder, my buddy spotted a large rattlesnake sunning right below the feeder and decided to shoot it with his pistol.
A few shots later the snake was awake and looking for an escape route, so john told me to shoot it.
So, out of the holster came my 44 ( all Texans ae packing in snake country) and I began shooting the snake with snake loads (#12 shot) and slowed it down to a slow crawl (pun intended) the next shot turned out to be a full house 240 grain anti personnel load which split the snakes head from the eyes forward.
Snake dead and my left ear almost dead. It still rings often.

So the moral is to remember you ear protection with short barreled magnum handguns.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of mine was a ported 4" 29-2. It was a sweet revolver. My son who is now 43 years old, but at the time was in junior high decided to take it to school + show it off. Thank God, he didn't take any ammo. Today that would be the crime of the century but back then I just had the piece seized (I got it back) + he had to do 3 days in juvy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Balule,
I have a ported 44 mag with 4 inch barrel, and I will give you a tip so you do not make the mistake that I did.

While servicing a deer feeder, my buddy spotted a large rattlesnake sunning right below the feeder and decided to shoot it with his pistol.
A few shots later the snake was awake and looking for an escape route, so john told me to shoot it.
So, out of the holster came my 44 ( all Texans ae packing in snake country) and I began shooting the snake with snake loads (#12 shot) and slowed it down to a slow crawl (pun intended) the next shot turned out to be a full house 240 grain anti personnel load which split the snakes head from the eyes forward.

So the moral is to remember you ear protection with short barreled magnum handguns.

I appreciate learning from other peoples experiencs! These days I seldom shoot anything without protection even when hunting.

Now I am cooling my heels waiting for my license for this revolver, probably still 6 months.

My vision is that a lot of shooting with this gun will be reloads at 44 Special level.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I know there was mention of SA v. DA. I love my two .44 mags. One is a 629 Classic Hunter 8 3/8” and the other is a Ruger SBH 4 3/4” that was basement custom. Throw the same loads in each, the Ruger is much more pleasant. I know the grip helps.

I’m also the guy that hates .357 because it’s just violent with the blast, but I’ll shoot any .44 over .357 and thinking about one of those 629 PD mountain or whatever, but may want a Casull. That should explain my disdain for the .357.

That gun should serve you well.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a K-frame 357 lover in the early 70s until I discovered the 44. I still have model 19s in the safe but there is no exemption to performance.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
The wife bought me a factory engraved 29-10 with a 4" barrel as a wedding present (yeah, she's mine). After admiring it for a while, I proceeded right to the range to blast away with it! Even the new production models are pretty well made. It's certainly a good bit fancier than the Redhawk I have (though not as rugged).

I'd love to take a deer with it - will have to remember ear pro if I do!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mine's the Dirty Harry 6½ inch barreled Model 29-2. Blued, with target hammer and trigger, red ramp front sight and white outlined adjustable rear sight. Goncalo alves target grips.

I love it.

I once traded a 4 inch Model 29-2 for a S&W 4-inch Model 63 .22 caliber revolver and an Ithaca Model 37 deluxe 12 gauge pump actioned shotgun.

Back in the '70s, everybody wanted a Model 29.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sure did! After Dirty Harry came out, S+W couldn't make them fast enough.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I once traded a 4 inch Model 29-2 for a S&W 4-inch Model 63 .22 caliber revolver and an Ithaca Model 37 deluxe 12 gauge pump actioned shotgun.
I would have done the same thing! Pretty sweet deal right there.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What little hunting Ive done with a pistol was with a Mod 29, 44 mag with a 6" barrel and aMod 57 41 mag with a 6" tube..Liked them both and come to think of it I had a mod 58 41 mag and shot a buck mule deer with it at 40 yards in the head and it took out about 8 inches of spine, thats penetration for sure, very impressed..Today I only have a Browning HP and a 1911, and a chief special. My kids and grand kids have the rest..

2-12-22, today I picked up a near new mod 57 S&W 6" in 41 magnum, always been a favorite of mine. Back in the game..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best memories I have is taking my M-29 44 mountain revolver to South Africa. I wish I could do that again. H-110 + Lyman devastator and young eyes was a pure delight on plains game.

But I guess I would have to rent/ borrow some young eyes Roll Eyes

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Balule,

now that is funny! I never bother with the shot loads, but I would probably be using a 250 grain cast at about 1000 fps if just out working on the farm. My ears have been ringing for years, so I don't pay too much attention to it.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the next shot turned out to be a full house 240 grain anti personnel load which split the snakes head from the eyes forward.

I when hog hunting I shot a 5'5"" inch rattler.

With my 44 loaded with 315gr WFN at about 13000fp

Took it on the tip of the nose and split the head front to back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that would do it! Smiler

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I traded my 6" 629 for a 9.5" SRH and never looked back. Wanted a 10" gun and didn't find it as I was happy with the Ruger. Built like a brick outhouse. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At last some good news. After 8 months the powers that be decided today that I am not a threat to national security and my license for the 44Mag has been approved.

Now I can get excited, probably still 4 - 6 weeks to get the license card in hand.

250lbs of lead in the workshop is in my way, good stuff for the 44!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
250lbs of lead in the workshop is in my way, good stuff for the 44!

If one casts 240 gr bullets 7291 with out waste for the 25olbs of lead.

There is always some waste so lets say 7200.

That is a good start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good start. I hope it is not pure lead. Wheel weights are ideal + so is linotype. To make a Lyman # 2 alloy you need 9 lbs of wheel weights to 1 lb. of 50/50 solder. But straight wheel weights will work just fine. If you are getting pig, then you will need to add tin + antimony (which is already there in wheel weights).