THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Lyman's #452651 325-grain bullet

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman's #452651 325-grain bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have Freedom Arms Model 97s in 45 Colt. Recommended overall cartridge length is 1.600 inch. Actual maximum overall length is 1.610 inch. Crimping on its crimping groove, does Lyman bullet mold 452651 achieve 45 Colt overall cartridge length of not greater than 1.610 inch?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
According to the Lyman Third Edition Pistol & Revolver Handbook, page 255, the OAL for that bullet in a .45 Colt is 1.585”.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MS Hitman:

Many thanks. Lyman's tech support had no answer. I'm still waiting for a call back.
Does any of your reloading manuals furnish H110 loads for +P pressure levels? Hodgdon's online loading data for +P shows H110 information for Ruger, Freedom Arms, and one other revolver. I do not trust these data because no overall cartridge length is furnished, only a trim to. Ruger and Freedom Arms model 83 revolvers have significantly longer cylinders than does Freedom Arms Model 97. Yet Freedom, as you are aware, rates both revolvers a capable of handling the same pressure levels - and loading data??? - as Ruger old model Blackhawks.

My concern, especially using H110 is that a small difference in cartridge case's [overall length] powder capacity of FA 97 will result in a huge increase in pressure.

If you have knowledge on loading the FA 97 with Lyman's 325-grain bullet with H110m CCI large pistol magnum primers, in Starline 45 Cot brass, please let me know. I have been loading Saeco's 300-grain SWC-GC. I'm trying to step up a little more.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Same book I referenced earlier calls for a trim to length of 1.275”, if that helps. I have only loaded .45 Colt in the Rugers, and .454 in the Model 83.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

posted Hide Post
I have a 4 1/4" M97 in 45 Colt. I have used the reference Lyman dual crimp grove bullet over 21.0gr of H110 in starline cases and a Win Large Pistol primer (crimped in top cr grove (1.59") to function in M97). My notes indicated it chronoed 1,135 fps for 4 rounds at 5 long paces and 65 Deg F.

I have found that CCI 350 Mag primers give an additional 30 +- fps in 300gr + loads and h110 in the .45 Colt, so I'd start at 20gr.

I've also used the 315gr Lee FNGCDC (which weighed 320gr). It has been very accurate and has a substantially larger meplat vs. the lyman. Avail from Matt's Bullets (or cast your own). https://www.mattsbullets.com/i...h=71&products_id=257

22.0gr H110 in Starline cases crimped in top cr grove w/Fed 155 Mag LPs chronoed right at 1,140 fps at 5 long paces and 65 deg f.

Differnt lots of H110 will give slightly different results, so start a grain or two low and work up using a chrono.

FWIW,

Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
paul....its relative to each shooter i know but what kind of recoil did that load produce? the 21.0 of H110

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As you probably know, the M97 has a smallish grip and weighs about 35 oz (4 1/4"). Recoil can be a bit snappy but doable with a firm grip. Shooting hand can slip a fair amount under recoil (especially if hands are sweaty or extremely dry) exposing the hand to various frame impacts depending on how you grip the gun. I've found a set of golf gloves help with slippage and sharp edges. If gloves not practical, a bit of bow string wax on the grip panels helps keep with the slipping under recoil.

Not as fast or snappy as full .44 Magnum loads in the S&W 329 Ti/Sc, but more than the S&W M69 L Frame .44 Mag.

Like you said, recoil is very subjective. Hope some of that helps.

Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use a weight lifting glove with my BFR in 45-70. padding helps a lot.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul105:

PM sent.

posted Hide Post
Replied via PM

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As I have mentioned before. although real for a variety of physical reasons, recoil is primarily mental. (I.E. what you can take,etc.) Col. Cooper addressed this + I agree. I don't shoot any handgun anymore that can hurt me. I did my load research years ago. When I went to the shot show several years ago I was at the S+W booth + they had the NEW titanium .44 Mag.revolver. The booth guy told me, "Man, I work for S+W but I couldn't even fire a full cylinder, that was painful." On another occasion, my neighbor's wife wanted some protection but knew nothing about guns. So I told Dave to bring her over. In my youth + foolishness I I recommended to her since she was scared of the kick + she would be carrying a 9MM then firing a 44 Mag just once should ally her fears of recoil. My thoughts being -(remember she was a woman + I was a man + the 2 logics seem to never come together)-that once she fired the one with the most recoil, everything else would be gravy. I had her on the range, right behind her, cradling her 2 hand grip, + slowly chanting the mantra of squeeze, squeeze, etc. when shre jerked the trigger; it went over her shoulder + connected with my forehead. No good deed goes unpunished.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I have mentioned before. although real for a variety of physical reasons, recoil is primarily mental

How one holds and handle hard recoiling firearms if far from a mental issue.

The physical aspects are very real.

My personal limit is around 300gr at 1500fps. I have scoped TC14" 44mag that launches my 315gr load at 1520 it is a handful.

I like my red hawk much better with at same load at 1280.

My 460S@W load a 300gr at 1500 is easier to handle but follow up shots are a lot slower.

I have introduced a lot of new shooters to magnum handguns.

I used reduced loads for the purpose.

In truth they are firing a 44 357 41 mag handgun.

I had 3 nephews around from out of state this summer.

No firearm experience 10 to 15yoa. They all shot revolvers and semi autos.

I told them all now you can go back to school and brag to your friends that you shot .22rf 38spl 9mm, 40S@W, 45acp, 357, 41, and 44mag handguns.

Only after shooting all the others and after carful coaching I let the 15yoa fire one 1500fps load from my 460S@W. Then he wanted to fire another one.

Big smiles on all their faces.

Building confidence is the name of the game.

To many take new shooters and put them behind guns with loads they can not handle.

A sure way to ruin their confidence and desire to become shooters.

Posts: 19363 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote