New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogless bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have this great farm in WV that has enormous cornfields close to a mountain where a bunch of bears live. The farmer has let me hunt there the last 8 years. I've been extremely lucky taking 6 bears in those 8 years.
I thought I was going to get skunked this year. Sat for 5 hours a day for 6 days. Saw 3 bears and 1 monster coyote, but all were moving so fast I couldn't get a shot.
Then on the last day, #7, I sat another 4+ hours. 10 minutes to the end of legal shooting and I took one last look at the river where the bears cross from the mountain. He was there!! He came to the corn quickly. I waited until he crossed the road to the corn and fired. He dropped, then rolled in to the high grass. Couldn't find him until the next morning

I shot this 200# bear from the hay bales in the back (my "blind") , 144 yds. with my XP-100 .375/.284 and a Lehigh 250 gr. Fracturing bullet. It looks like a big HP, but the nose is skived in to 4 pedals that break off and go their separate ways. The base double shouldered him. The pedals went in the lungs, spine, and intestines causing about 1" of damage in each tract.
The bears do massive damage in the farmer's corn. This is #6 in 8 years. I guess I found a honey hole.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the same problem up here. The Bears go into the corn and create cop circles; mowing down all the corn in a 50' circle under the cover of the 8' stalks. Bow season for Bear starts tomorrow.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
We don't have a bear problem here in central Texas (mores the pity) thanks in large part to Ben Lilly. I always liked Edward Abbey's comment, "It's good to have bears in the woods if for no other reason than it will keep you humble".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
humble and awake !!!!!