THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    The 10MM list of firearms just gained another

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10MM list of firearms just gained another
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ruger just released their GP-100 Match Champion chambered in 10MM. This is the proper size revolver for this caliber in my opinion. I was a bit disappointed when they first released it in the Super Redhawk as I felt(still do) that the platform is way to big for the caliber. Now they release it in the GP-100 and the game changes for me at least. It's going to be a bit before I can pick it up since we are going on vacation here in a few weeks and the wife would shoot me with it if I dipped into her fun money.

https://ruger.com/products/gp1...Champion/models.html

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least the grips are not plywood. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No they are the same Hogue Walnut that are on my current Match Champion. They are very comfortable even with max loaded 180gr or 158gr loads.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the most exciting thing I've seen from Ruger in a long time Smiler

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am a little disappointed in the extraction system, which requires moon clips. I thought Ruger perfected a spring-loaded extraction system that opened like a flower to extract 9mm cases decades ago. Apparently that didn't work all that well.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I am a little disappointed in the extraction system, which requires moon clips. I thought Ruger perfected a spring-loaded extraction system that opened like a flower to extract 9mm cases decades ago. Apparently that didn't work all that well.

That would work just fine.The big advantage of the moon clips is the fast dumping and reloading of the revolver.I have a S&W 45ACP Jerry M.set up for moon clips and it is slicker than snot on a glass doorknob.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the red hawk version at the SHOT show range day.

I experienced 50 percent misfires shooting double action. Out of several cylinders full.

Light firing pin strikes all of them.

Personally I prefer rimmed cartridges in revolvers.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as i remember it the 10 was supposed to repliate the 41 so why not use a 41 speaking of that i di have a smith 610 which usually sits on the shelf while the 57 get used intead

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 10mm but I like the 44 special better. I think that the Ruger GP100 with a 3 inch barrel would be just the ticket for me.I could load it up down and all around. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
I like the 10mm but I like the 44 special better. I think that the Ruger GP100 with a 3 inch barrel would be just the ticket for me.I could load it up down and all around. DW

Or, as with any 10mm revolver, like the old S&W 610s, you can have a wheelgun 'smith (e.g., Hamilton Bowen) ream out the chambers of the cylinder to 10mm Magnum specs.

That gives you the option of shooting .40S&W, 10mm AUTO, or 10mm Magnum out of the same gun using the same moon clips.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote