THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Relative SA accuracy: Ruger vs. BFR vs. FA

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relative SA accuracy: Ruger vs. BFR vs. FA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I would expect Freedom to win every time in terms of accuracy. But how do the BFR revolvers stack up? I've had plenty of Rugers.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well. Only own one BFR but consider it as accurate as I can point it. A BFR reminds me of a Ruger on steroids. Fit and finish is better than a Ruger but lacking compared to a Freedom Arms.

To confuse the issue even further I have owned one Ruger that was as accurate as either the BFR or FA.

I have never owned a FA that was not capable of shooting tiny groups if I did my part. The old saying is..........you get what you paid for is very true.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snowwolfe. I am trading into a BFR in .454 Casull.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have yet to meet a BFR that won't run with or past an FA83. They are put together well and they are fitted with a match-grade (Badger) barrel. I have a few box-stock Rugers that will also run with anything and everything with regards to accuracy. That FAs are consistently good, but I have found that to be the case with BFRs as well.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good to hear, Whitworth.

– John Green, author

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I have yet to meet a BFR that won't run with or past an FA83. They are put together well and they are fitted with a match-grade (Badger) barrel. I have a few box-stock Rugers that will also run with anything and everything with regards to accuracy. That FAs are consistently good, but I have found that to be the case with BFRs as well.

Sounds like FA envy to me Wink

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
No, I have an FA83 in .454 and it get's neglected a bit as it's just not as accurate as its stable mates. Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I will start out easy with the Lee 300-grain bullet in Starline .454 brass with Unique, probably. Looking for something around 900-1,000 fps that is nicely accurate.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a black bear once with a .429 315gr at 950fps it weighed about 250lbs went right through it side to side.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Shot a black bear once with a .429 315gr at 950fps it weighed about 250lbs went right through it side to side.

Exactly were did you hit the bear and how far did he go before death?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anticipating that manufacturing staff know their business, excluding chance, the mechanism with tightest operable tolerances will be the most accurate - and the one most likely to malfunction if not maintained.

Mass produced mechanisms by being manufactured at a price will have necessarily looser tolerance than one in limited production. Freedom Arms revolvers have grotesquely tight tolerances - that is, they shoot extremely well for a long, long time. They jam were you to slather the lock work with lubricant and neither clean it up nor shoot it for a year. The message to be learned is to maintain your "back-up" Freedom Arms as though it were your primary. . . . Someone should have mentioned this to me.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:

Right through the lungs about 100 yards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doggonit! Finally, years later, a thread for BFRShooter to weigh in on and thoroughly trash FA, and he is not here...

Did we lose Jim? Is he no longer with us because of death, or did he just decide to leave AR?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:

Right through the lungs about 100 yards

That is not bad performance at all. I have seen bears run that far when shot by some buddies with much more "powerful" rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Doggonit! Finally, years later, a thread for BFRShooter to weigh in on and thoroughly trash FA, and he is not here...

Did we lose Jim? Is he no longer with us because of death, or did he just decide to leave AR?

Last I heard Jim is alive and kicking. He was removed from AR.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is not bad performance at all. I have seen bears run that far when shot by some buddies with much more "powerful" rifles.

I knew old timer would feed his family and a lot of neighbors during the depression.

He shot hundreds of deer said shoot them in the lungs with a 22lf they run about a 100 yards, shoot them in the lungs with a 300sav they run about a 100 yards.

The only different is you get a better blood trail with the center fires.

I also found this to be mainly true also as with any thing there are exceptions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Relative accuracy between the aforementioned revolvers.

Before we get into the revolvers, one must first have a load and more specifically a bullet that not only has the potential, but maintain accuracy for it's entire flight. Some bullets go "astray" at a certain point in their flight. One of John Linebaugh's friends in Rhame ND, who's name I cannot remember right now, has many hours of video of bullets in flight out to the target at 1500 yards. Some bullets or bullet styles are not stable throughout the flight. Some destabilize very quickly, others will stay true to their flight path for the duration of the transitional flight.

Most people give the Freedom the nod for out of the box accuracy. They are very uniform in their manufacture, so they seem to shoot consistently from gun to gun.
The Freedom in 475 would regularly print 4 inch groups at 200 yards, scoped, off bags at the bench, with me or my buddy
on the handle.

I've been around some BFR's but never owned one. My Brother in law has an old one ( pre JT ) in 45-70 with a 10" barrel. It would shoot under 1 1/2" at 100 off bags/bench with iron sights using Hornady 350 RN and Marlin data with 3031. It shot very well, I was genuinely impressed.

Ruger: John Linebaugh, at one of his shoots, bolted factory stock, out of the box guns into a fixture to test their accuracy. The only thing I'm aware of that were done to them, was checked for correct chamber, throat and barrel dimensions. They would print about 42 inches at 1000, with all six chambers. Really, that isn't all bad translating into 4+ inches at 100 for that average shooter.

Now have the Ruger massaged by a one of the custom makers and the story can change markedly. My 38 WCF by John will regularly print 1.5" groups at 100 with iron sights, IF I do my part. I have shot a local variation of silhouette and IHMSA chickens at 300 yards are only dependent on my skill for that day. The gun is always capable.

Hope this helps.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
This is an out-of-the-box Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, shooting Federal 300 grain factory loads. I put an Ultradot 30 on top and shot this group at 100 yards off of sandbags. Someday I will throw a scope on top and see what it can really do.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whit,

I forgot to mention the Super Redhawks. Thanks.

They may be the "ugly duckling" of double actions, but every one I've been around will flat SHOOT.