Find
Notify
Tools

Early Mod 57 41 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received another 57.

This one is a 4 inch revolver with Target Stocks, Target Trigger, and Target Hammer. The revolver is pinned and recessed.

This is a very clean example with slight turn line. It has been shot very little with no movement in the cylinder.

Now, the cool part. The Model 57 was introduced into production in 1964. I have seen a few verified pre production revolvers from 1963.

This revolver dates between 1964 and very early 1965. We know this because the Model stamped in the frame is Mod over 57 instead of Mod 57.

The stamping Mod over 57 ended very earlier in 1965. This is also an S serial number revolver. The S serial number was changed to N in 1969.

You can in large photos by clicking on them. If you want different images just pm me.

Thank you.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
My Mod 57 is similar to yours but not quite as early. Mine is Mod 57 in one line but the serial #S3195XX and pinned and recessed. Mine has a 6" barrel. DO you know when it was manufactured?

Congratulations on a great revolver in my favorite caliber.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I lost my 6" mod. 57 in a burglary in 1980, never recovered.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Sorry NC, I know how that feels. I lost a 8 3/8" Mod 57 a few years ago to theft.

Loved that .41.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
My Mod 57 is similar to yours but not quite as early. Mine is Mod 57 in one line but the serial #S3195XX and pinned and recessed. Mine has a 6" barrel. DO you know when it was manufactured?

Congratulations on a great revolver in my favorite caliber.

God Bless, Louis

My best summation based on SN I have seen yours is 66. I am betting yours shipped around 1968.

I have seen what has been reported as Serial Number S230489 as being reported as the lowest known serial number. That revolver by Jinks letter shipped in 1965, but I have seen preproduction revolvers manufacturers in 1963 verified.

Roy Jinks letters most often only give shipping dates.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with buying a new revolver is you have to buy a new holster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 70s I saw a new 6" model 57 in the display case at the Wards dept. store in my home town. It was only $175 and I probably caused a rust issue in that gun because of my drooling over it. It was too much money for my dismal budget so all I could do was look. I have had a 6.5" Blackhawk 41mag for a long time and it is an accurate hunting revolver, but isn't as classy as the Smith.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have both the Smith and the Ruger and carry them both when tracking wounded bears and such. I admit the Smith is a little more pleasing to the eyes but with some trigger work; meaning creep and poundage the Blackhawk is an excellent weapon. I like a really good trigger and the Smith usually has a pretty usable trigger to me. I would love to have a Redhawk in .41.

God Bless, Louis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like a mod 57, Ive had several over the years, If I could find a well used one at a right price Id buy it in a heartbeat, just want a rough one because of the price and the use it would get bouncing around in my PU..Got such a critter holler at me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that would make the OPs 57 any nicer would be if it wore a pair of factory "Coke" grips! Funny you should mention a worn 57 for a truck gun Ray. I just bought an early S prefixed model 58 for that exact same purpose. Worn finish but tight action and it rides in the center console along with a couple speed loaders of Platinum HPs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the 57 come with coke grips? I thought only the 29s and the Model 1955 Hand Ejector which will Jinks letter to a 29 cane with Coke grips?

And thank you sir. It is going to rain all weekend.

I was suppose to shoot some 57s of mine and fish with my brother.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking 57

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't S&W also make a M57 .41 Mag. with 4 " bbl with Non adjustable sights intended for Police use ?

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Didn't S&W also make a M57 .41 Mag. with 4 " bbl with Non adjustable sights intended for Police use ?

Hip

Model 58 was the fix site police version.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. I had one years ago but I always liked the appearance of the model 57 better + the fit to my hand.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A coworker had one in the late 60's--I barely remember it though.

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a pure aesthetic point of view, I hated the big, blocky, chunky target grips.

Always preferred the Magna grips.

However, after shooting a few N frames know, I can say those big Target grips are awesome. I have small hands. Those big Target grips are fine and prevent the revolver from torquing and slamming into the hand. The revolver does not move with those Target grips. Love them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 58's are seemingly harder to find these days than the 57. And apparently worth more, if Internet pricing is any measure.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that you don't see them that often. It seems in this particular climit these days that anything shooting related is going for a premium.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock Model 58 came with a rather unique set of magna style grips in that the bottoms were rounded versus flat bottom or beveled. The Model 520 fixed sighted 357 mag was the only other N frame with those grips. The 58 does have a very business look to it with the heavy barrel and exposed ER but it can be spiffed up with a little work. Both these guns are Model 58s. One stayed as a 1 mag and the other became a 45 Colt with 5"barrel and the same combat sights as its brother.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hip

Picked this up off Gun broker 5 years ago. Probably a police version from the apparent wear.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah---that's what my friend had !

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That last pic looks like a 58 w/ 57 grips (or any N frame) installed. Nice wood.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The 41 magnum cartridge is one of my favorite handgun cartridges. It has become so hard to find ammo, or even components for mine that I rarely shoot my pistol anymore so as to conserve what brass and bullets I have on hand. Mine is not a S&M but a Ruger Black-Hawk
That I carry in a chest rig inside my rain gear when hunting Alaska along with my 375 mag bolt rifle so I'm armed while processing a moose or caribou, or doing camp chores.
I have done a lot of hunting with that 41 mag, as well, and had a 41 mag short barreled double rifle made on a 20 gauged browning shot action when following my dogs in New Mexico mountains for black bear, and puma. makes a light little rifle for treed cats.
I'm afraid that when our new president gets through destroying our right to own any firearm finding ammo will be imposible for any type of firearm, for hunting anything.

......................................... CRYBABY old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, just one more reason for handloading + casting. I know that in a worse case scenario that all components would eventually run out; let it never come to that. The current pres. just like all the others swore an oath on the Bible to uphold the Constitution; not destroy it.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I looked for 25 years for a 4 inch Nickle 57 and I finally found one about 2005. Very good condition with wood case and tools, it's not going anywhere for hopefully a long time.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to find another 4" mod. 57 again. I have a nickle 57 8 3/8" magnaported but its not a 4".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 57-1 nickel with 4 inch barrel & black Pacmayr grips in very good condition that I would sell or trade if the offer was right.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for, + where are you located in Texas? P.M. me please for conversation.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Gents

You have stirred my interest. I have a 6" blue Model 57 original in wood presentation case. I have owned it for many years. Not for sale. Hunted and killed a boar with it in Florida back around 1980.

Serial number is S2561XX. Anyone know the date of production?

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S-prefix would be a very early gun, mid 1960s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Sunrise, too late for me as you traded immediately. Good for you. Enjoy your trade piece. Who would have thought that there would be this resurgent interest in the 41 Mag.? I am glad for that but sad that I missed an acquisition. Oh well, still interested in another 4" or 6" model 57.

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
That serial number would be 1965, I have one in the same range

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just posted on another thread that I found 57, blue 6", in great condition, Its not pinned and recessed to my sarrow but the price was right, and it shoots great, and its in my pickup, ready to go..I intend to cull some whitetail in Texas this year...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S&W produced the mod. 58 which was a large N frame M&P so to speak. Had the std trigger and hammer, no target sights, miltary sights instead, came in 41 magnum only and only in 4" barrel..A number of them were produced and they are not particularly rare..A nice gun, Ive owned several of them throughout the years..I see them on Guns International from time to time, and other blogs..Pricewise they run around $800 to a $1000 it seems.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple of model 58s in the past but even though quite accurate, I always ended up trading them off. Appearance really. I don't have a problem with fixed sights but lack of the under-barrel ejector shroud was a turn off for me. If Bill Jordan's original plan was ever achieved, it would have been the perfect patrolmans pistol. 4 " 41 Mag in a K frame. The reality was it couldn't be safely done but I still like the concept.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last day of deer season on my ranch in the Big Bend country of Texas, in the pu going meet a Mexican cowboy/guide and his hunter and pick up the deer they were bringing out of the mountains horseback, on the way I see a huge Mule deer buck looking at me from the sotols, about 50 to 60 yards, out comes my 58 and he dropped at the shot that hit the neck and opened up his spine for 8 inches, I could have gutted him through that wound..very impressive,especially to my hunter when I showed up with the deer shot with a pistol..That was my first deer with a handgun..Ive only shot a few deer with a handgun over the years..Observed a number of my paying hunters using 44s and 41s, and a couple with scoped bolt action pistols in wildcat calibers. Interesting stuff..I really liked those 58s..but preferred the 57 long barrel..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I found a Redkhawk .41 in stainless with a 7.5" barrel a little while back and it went home to stay. Still have not shot it yet but am looking forward to trying it out. Will probably put a Burris Fastfire on this one to hunt with.

God Bless, Louis

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
The problem with buying a new revolver is you have to buy a new holster.

Not if you own a trainload of SW N frames. Same gun, different size hole and ammo. You need a holster for 4 inch, 6 inch and 8 3/8 and got it covered.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Mod 57's One is a new production model and the other is a -2. Unfortunately, the previous owner had it magnaported.
Both are 6" and in mint condition. love 'em

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote