THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    458 Fat Colt or 54R case for ruger slop.

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Fat Colt or 54R case for ruger slop.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
I took a 7.62x54R case and cut it down to 1.28", then sized in the Lee 45 Colt factory crimp die(it has the carbide sizeing ring at the bottom). It fits real nice in my sloppy ruger 45 colt Blackhawk cylinder. The chambers are about .485", the sized 54R case is .480".
The rim is too big, so I turned it down on the lathe. Water capacity is 44.6gns, a Win 45 Colt case holds 42.5gns and the Win case over expanded and sized to .480" holds 44.1gns H2O.

Has anybody tried cut down 54R cases in the Ruger 45 Colt?
New Norma brass is $1 each, unless anybody knows of a different source?
I suppose I could try neck sizeing only like Bfrshooter mentioned.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lar, your even more of a nut then I am! dancing
I measured some fired, sized and loaded cases, they are .480" at the base which means my chamber is somewhere around .482". The easy way to get around the slop is to do what I do, neck size to just below a seated boolit after they are fire formed, with the Hornady die. They will look a little like a bottle neck case. Sure is a lot easier then making other brass to fit.
The Hornady dies make the most accurate loads of any dies I have ever tried. They have the proper dimensions. Other then special Redding dies and some BR custom dies, I have retired all other brands, especially RCBS dies.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good stuff lar45...

now we have to try the 1.6" version Big Grin

shooting 45-70 bullets in a revolver is an awesome idea dancing

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HHI812
posted Hide Post
I had reamer drawings from a gunsmith who was converting the long 357 Maximum cylinder and Dan Wesson, using .458" bullets. He also had a conversion for the short cylinder frames using .458" bullets using I think Remington 45 Colt brass. Gunsmith's name was Johnson, and the letter he sent me was I think post marked in the early 90's? I sent the drawings to someone who posted the photos in one of these forums recently? Just don't recall where at the moment? One was named 460 Alaskan or Ultra?

Posts: 298 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Ya, it was in one of the posts here. That's what gave me the idea of trying the 54R case in the Ruger. I took a Rem 45 Colt case, ran a 45 acp expander all the way to the base and then sized in a Lee 45 Colt factory crimp die. It left the case at .480" and fit the Ruger cylinder very nice.
I think I should find a 44 mag cylinder and try to cut a tight 45 Colt chamber in it.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote