THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Anyone have load data for 45 Colt/ Ruger 6 shot, 395 gr cast bullet ?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have load data for 45 Colt/ Ruger 6 shot, 395 gr cast bullet ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted
In light of my last reply , this may be an odd question . But I found part of a box of these and I don't have my casting supplies yet . So I want to try these 395ers.
Any thots ???
Thanks in advance
Glen.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of bullet for a 45 colt not much powder space.

Maybe in my 460 I understand the desire to play with them.

But when one see's a 300 gr or so hard cast smash through 30 to 40 inches or more of flesh.

I don't think I would take the time with them in the colt.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem is, they are all I have at the moment for cast Boolits. Or even heavy weight jacketed. I think I will start with 17.5 gr of H110. Make sure my cylinder pin in well oiled. I only need a cylinder full until I get my casting supplies in and can cast up some 327 gr Mihec 45 Ruger solids.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate powders has it. Following are max loads:

Accurate #7 - 12.2 gr for 970 fps
Accurate #9 - 14.3 gr for 1024 fps
4100/Enforcer - 16.3 for 1064
5744 - 18.8 for 985

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made up a stout load using a 335 grain GC cast bullet, but I had to use 454Casull brass trimmed 45LC length because the Starline LC brass would let the bullets jump crimp from recoil and lock the gun up. I was running 1193 ft/sec with this load and it was a handful out of my Bisley Vaquero. I didn't like the Bisley hammer as it didn't feel safe in my big hands so I installed a standard Blackhawk hammer which has less steel in it and the loss of hammer weight caused it to not strike the small rifle primers hard enough and I had eratic ignition. Sometimes it would fire them and sometimes it would just go "click", so I don't shoot the heavy bullets anymore. I can't imagine shooting 395 grain bullets from a 45LC. Be careful! You can probably go up close to 20 grains of H110 but proceed slowly. I was using 23.5 grains behind the 335s.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whelenite:
Accurate powders has it. Following are max loads:

Accurate #7 - 12.2 gr for 970 fps
4100/Enforcer - 16.3 for 1064
5744 - 18.8 for 985

Great, thank you. Ive got some #9.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That well be a good load a 395gr bullet driven at that velocity well smash through a lot of flesh.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

That well be a good load a 395gr bullet driven at that velocity well smash through a lot of flesh.

Yeah, and it'll kill on the muzzle end too.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Yeah, and it'll kill on the muzzle end too.

I've shot 320gr Keith bullets from my Blackhawk at 1,200 fps and that's enough for me as far as recoil. 395gr? No thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For H 110, Ive revised my starting load to 15 grains. I'm doing lots of thinking about it before I load some up. I found a bunch of my load notes and chrony data today. I was shooting Buffalo Bore 325 gr +P in my last 45 Colt. A 4 5/8" Blackhawk. They chronographed @ 1328 fps avg in that gun @ 12' . It was lively but not terrible. Higher velocities like over 1400 fps tend to bother me alot more.
The 400+ gr bullets in the 480 @ 1200 fps . Were fairly easy shooting compared to the 325 gr @ 1475 fps. I would imagine that the 400ish gr 45 boolit @ 1050 fps will be more pleasant to shoot than a 325 gr @ 1325 . Or possibly even 1250 fps.
Thats my theroy anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One way to look at is , this 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk. Is just a 1" shorter barreled gun than the Super Blackhawk Bisley 454 that Max was shooting. Basically the same weight and identical shape. But 200-300 fps less velocity.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CTF: Did you ever shoot those 395s?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hogdon has load data for those bullets as well.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Max, I see it for .454 Casull, but not .45 Colt -- not that I would be all that eager to light off six of those babies ...

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. Would have bet good money I'd seen it listed in the Hogden manual, but alas, it is not.

Rob

posted Hide Post
Can't do much with a 400gr bullet in the .45Colt without exceeding "Ruger only" pressures. It's not going to perform as well as a 335-360gr but it will at least make a hole in something. Hodgdon lists 21.0gr H110 as max for the 360gr so I surely wouldn't go higher than 20.0gr. Brian Pearce has 400gr data that starts at 20.0gr and maxes out at 22.5gr and 1314fps but that's 50,000psi Redhawk data.