THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Anyone have experience with .40 s/w Blackhawk?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with .40 s/w Blackhawk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I'd build a dandy since Ruger quit making these years ago and I haven't been able to find one.

Had a 7 1/2" 9mm/357 combo rebuilt to .40S/W.
Shoots very nice, am happy with it. BUT, even factory ammo is weak as can be.
I'd like to find a little hotter load than #9S case full. I figured it would be about equal to a .38 but, it's more like a popgun than anything else.

I've tried: Red Dot, H110 and #9s is much better than those two are.

Just wondering if anyone had one of those guns in the past and found a decent load for it.

I have more powerful guns so that's no problem. Just wanted a bit more from this than i've found so far.

I went with 40 because i have a 5 gal bucket nearly full of brass and haven't found over a dozen 10mm's yet.

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BUT, even factory ammo is weak as can be

What weak? Have you actual ran them over a crony?

I would think you would be getting 1200 plus out of 165s. or better they get mid 1100a outt of 4 inch autos.

please post the velocities you are getting.

I wouldn't think H110 would even be a choice in a 40.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Thought I'd build a dandy since Ruger quit making these years ago and I haven't been able to find one.

Had a 7 1/2" 9mm/357 combo rebuilt to .40S/W.
Shoots very nice, am happy with it. BUT, even factory ammo is weak as can be.
I'd like to find a little hotter load than #9S case full. I figured it would be about equal to a .38 but, it's more like a popgun than anything else.

I've tried: Red Dot, H110 and #9s is much better than those two are.

Just wondering if anyone had one of those guns in the past and found a decent load for it.

I have more powerful guns so that's no problem. Just wanted a bit more from this than i've found so far.

I went with 40 because i have a 5 gal bucket nearly full of brass and haven't found over a dozen 10mm's yet.

Thanks,
George

Sounds more like your revolver is just slow. 40 S&W loads are in the 38,000 PSI range and that is not weak.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you continue to think it's weak then have it bored out to 10MM. That might be more to your liking.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't run it over a chrono yet.
So little recoil I haven't felt it was worth
setting up.

8-9gr #9s, 175 cast.

P8: IF I had the brass I likely would have gone that way. Read above: Re: 5 gal of 40's, 12 pcs 10's.

Thanks, maybe one day I'll make it to the range and set things up for a couple or five rifles and check this out too.

The past 6 years my health has kept me from the range except a very few times.

I shoot 'em in a trap in my shop.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you want a real 40 caliber magnum, rechamber it to use 38-40. That case holds a ton of powder. I have done this and it works great. For those who don't know, the 38-40 was developed in about 1884 and is really a true .40 caliber; not a 38.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't, only want a bit more power
with this. was hoping someone had one of the factory guns they made some years ago and had a loading experience. Oh well, had my pant legs wet before.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My IPSC pistol and even my G23 run pretty well. The 1911 with a long AOL gets pretty good velocity if required but factor is 170 so no need to run hotter.

I think in the US AA no5 would be the go to. Vv also makes a good powder for the .40 3N37 for lighter bullet weights.

Posts: 688 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try good old fashioned Unique. I hot rod my .45 Blackhawk with the .45 ACP cylinder I'm getting 1200+ fps. with a 230 gr. semi wadcutter.
Don't remember if it was with the old 7 1/2" bbl. or the newer 5 1/2' bbl.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We have no idea if the revolver or the loads are slow as no chronograph and precious little loading data has been offered. Good discussion is difficult with a lack of information to discuss.

If you are indeed running "8-9 grains of #9" powder, then you are below the published starting load for a 175 grain cast bullet.

Sounds like the only person wetting your leg is yourself. I suggest getting loading manuals for the powders you are using and shoot across a chronograph into your trap to find out what the loads are doing, instead of going about this haphazardly.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't, only want a bit more power

Always work well for killing bullet traps. Eeker

As stated before unless your crony them you really have no clue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MSH:

That's all the powder I can get in the
case! Any more swells 'em up and pushes
the bullets out. Try it!

I'm judging by the recoil. Pip sqeek loads.

PD: Once I get healthy enough to make the range again damn right I'll do so as stated above.

I need to look at the burn rate chart again. I saw Clays was hotter than anything I had and got some. Haven't loaded any yet. That MIGHT be good enough.
Between surgeries trying to do much is the shits guys. IF you can't understand that, you sure as hell need to give it a try. #26 two weeks ago, since Nov '12 and counting on two more soon.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If you want a real 40 caliber magnum, rechamber it to use 38-40. That case holds a ton of powder. I have done this and it works great. For those who don't know, the 38-40 was developed in about 1884 and is really a true .40 caliber; not a 38.

Great choice, I like the way you think.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run green dot under my 175 gr cast bullets they cycle the action just fine.

I have no idea of velocity I use them just for training.

In a light weight semi auto a forty isn't that hard recoiling a black hawk is a lot heavier.

There is really only one solution that is trying other powders and to crony them.

I once loaded some 158gr 357 and was comparing them to some 158 WW factory. The recoil and muzzle blast was a lot less then the factory.

When I ran them over the crony the hand loads were a 100fps faster then the factory.

Don't know what powder WW was using put it sure seemed impressive when you pulled the trigger.

Lots of flash, blasts and recoil less performance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would try working a load up with HS-6. It starts at 7.4 grains yeilding 1027 fps. and tops out at 8.1 grains giviing 1108 fps. Thats out of a 4 inch auto pistol with 165 grain bullets. I load 6.5 grains under as 180 grain Truncated cone and find that pretty snappy in my S&W 40. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

love it!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aren't we comparing apples and oranges ie. semi autos vs. revolvers. perhaps you are losing pressure via the cylinder. barrel gap?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have shot some cast 200 grain bullets in my .40 Beretta that I was carrying some for bear protection. Had a .41 on the other side. I was shooting Unique and it definitely had some recoil. Not sure of the velocity but it felt alot stouter than 180 grainers and no comparison to 165's at all. Accuracy was excellent.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 180 grain bullets in my 40 S&W, and 200 grain bullets in my 10 mm.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The Western Powder loading guide says 12.2 to 13.6 for the 170 Cast with AA #9. Top load is 1235 fps and 34,900 PSI.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with dpcd on the 38-40. However I know all too well the quest on working something (new).Wasted a lot of money over the years doing it too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still a revolver, you guys are trying
to compare semi's to.
wake up and read the OP.

Some years ago Ruger chambered Blackhawks
in the .40 S/W, that's what I was asking
for info on.

Thanks,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 10 March 2019 07:34 Hide Post
Aren't we comparing apples and oranges ie. semi autos vs. revolvers. perhaps you are losing pressure via the cylinder. barrel gap?
Peter.

george, here is my post from 3/10!!!
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that, seeing as you had this custom built, perhaps the chambers have not been cut correctly, allowing too much gas to escape past the bullet, before it exits the cylinder. Do other shooters notice excessive flash from the cylinder/barrel gap. can you put a piece of cardboard or stiff paper on each side of the revolver to see if there are any small shavings of bullet material or powder debris being shot out of the side of the gun? How about taking a video of the gun being shot? Honestly, I suspect the gun at this point, without having any experience of shooting pistol cartridges from a revolver. Do 9mm or 45 ACP cylinders have to be cut a special way? What about the barrel?
You say you had it rebuilt. have you consulted the guy who did the work?
Peter.