New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 spec.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone factory load a decent 44 spec. cartridge for self defense or hunting?

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
doubletap, grizzly, corbon all make heavy .44 spec loads.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2312 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
....and Buffalo Bore, good stuff. tu2

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand the Factory loads using Gold Dots have a good reputation for defense.

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Does anyone factory load a decent 44 spec. cartridge for self defense or hunting?

Self defense against what and hunting what.

Many different loads.

Defense against two legged predators or large for legged ones.

Hunting very large game or smaller stuff.

hard to find one bullet that does a great job with all.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo bore hard cast

Speer gold dot

Between the 2 should have you covered for 2or 4 legged beast

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't trust hollow points at speeds around 800 fps. Buffalo Bore Is good idea. Thank You.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady has the critical defense load for 2 legged vermin.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
I've killed whitetail using my .44 Special Colt SAA and Winchester's "Cowboy" loads.
A "good load" does indeed depend on the intended target.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried one on Radio Patrol as a young cop on the Texas border in El Paso, Texas..I shot Keith simi wadcutters loaded pretty warm, Im thinking they were close to 1000 FPS..I later tried a 4" 44 magnum as they were just out, It was heavy and kicked and loud so I stayed with my old 44 special loads in it...I never quite forgave Clint Eastwood for making me buy that 44 magnum...When it all came to poop or get off the pot, I settled on a 357 combat magnum for police uniform work as did 99% of the officers on the border have..I still like the 44 special and my favorite hunting pistol is the 41 magnum..but would I love to have and old triple lock 44 special.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, may I ask why the triple lock and not a new Stainless model? I'm not being critical of your choice just curious. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Swamp, I am guessing by your question that you may not be a handloader. If you have ever thought about getting into it, the .44 Special is one of the easiest and most versatile calibers to load for. It's just a real pleasure to work with.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old triple locks are just smooth and have that old world quality I like in most guns..I would settle for the later smith with the 6" barrel. I carried the 6 inch on patrol for awhile but its uncomfortable in a patrol car..so I switched to a 41 mag. mod 58, 4" military sight as opposed to target sights..I tried about all of them at one time or another,all us young rookies did..didn't take reason into consideration.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The old triple locks are just smooth and have that old world quality I like in most guns..I would settle for the later smith with the 6" barrel. I carried the 6 inch on patrol for awhile but its uncomfortable in a patrol car..so I switched to a 41 mag. mod 58, 4" military sight as opposed to target sights..I tried about all of them at one time or another,all us young rookies did..didn't take reason into consideration.

It was nice to work when departments were not so anal about what firearm you carried.

The first 10 years of my 33 year career was working for one.

I carried many different ones but mostly I found my stainless security 6 4 inch 357 to fit the bill best loaded with 125gr JHPs

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
Ray, may I ask why the triple lock and not a new Stainless model? I'm not being critical of your choice just curious. DW
If you ever shot a triple lock, you would not need to ask. They are wonderful revolvers! With the strength of the triplelock, a 240 grain Keith at 950 fps or a bit more would be very effective!

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers, I am seriously considering the Ruger 5 shot GP 100 with a 3 inch barrel to carry when I'm in the desert or up on the mountain. I had a 2 3/4 Security Six that felt real good. Don't know why I sold it.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dwheels: I considered the GP100 in .44 Special, but ended up buying a S&W Model 69. The GP100 just seemed too heavy. That is the L-frame 5-shot revolver in .44 Magnum. I load 250 gr. SWCs at about 1000 fps.Another gun I carry even more is the S&W Model 60 in .357 with the 3" barrel from the S&W Custom Shop. You might want to look at those S&W revolvers before you make a decision. I am about 100 miles southeast of "Happy Valley" in the desert.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The gunsmith in South Carolina (I'll have to remember his name) that built my Keith # 5 w/ ivory stocks,also builds 44 spls on a S+W N frame,ala mod. 27 or 28.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I never quite forgave Clint Eastwood for making me buy that 44 magnum...

Well even Clint's character Dirty Harry admitted he actually shot .44 Specials in his model 29 in the second movie...... Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6" 629 that I shoot 44 spec. +P loads in. Its a wonderful revolver. I also have a Mdl. 60 that is just a 38 spec. that I feel the same way about. I still miss the Security six and having one that shot 44 specials would just be the ticket for me to pack around. I don't want to hijack the thread so I won't say any more about what revolvers I like but the 44 special is one of my very favorite rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any pictures of that Keith #5 gun NC?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting 250 grain Keith's at about 950 fps out of a Ruger Bisley flattop. It'll get the job done. Over 7.5 grains of Unique.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rbrbrb6, I re posted pics last night on the misc. forum under the heading of My Keith # 5. Enjoy the pics.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Winchester 200 gr Silvertip HP.
Shoot well and do the job for me. Works on predators, two and four legged. Kills deer just fine. I wouldn't try them on anything heavier.
Found two boxes at auction last fall.
I go to a lot of auctions, find lots of older stuff that still works fine.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When working in the desert or back country, give me a 6" barrel, in 357, 44, 41, 45 LC IN town alleys bad places without bears or such and bad folks is the prey, I like my Browning HP and a colt 45 1911 or one of its variations.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with you Ray on the in-town variety, my choices as well. For the great outdoors when I used to go backpacking in Big Bend I would carry a 3" bbl Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 spl. At that time the lightest pistol with the most power. And lightness was a premium when you are in the desert when any extra weight should be water.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir,
Years later as a DEA Agent I packed a Bull dog 44 special and with a good handload it kicked liked a team of mules with one hind leg between them..and of course then and today I have a 9mm Browning HP, that I traded for in 1960 when I was working in Mexico and the 45 was not allowed as it was a military issue in the Mexican Army..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120