New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freedom Arms scope mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about scoping a 475L model 83 (6") with either a 2x or 4x Leupold for whitetail this fall. I've tried with open sights, just can't hit the way I want to out to 50yds with them. What's the consensus on bases and rings? T'SOB? Lovell? Leupold?

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I has the TSOB mount and a silver Leupold on my 454 Premier, and could shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. They make quite a revolver.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I've got an T'SOB base from FA holding an Ultradot on a .454 shooting 350s at 1500fps with nary a bobble. The length of the rail should accommodate whatever sight you chose.

FWIW, I liked the trimmer looks of the Leupold dual-dovetail base and ring set and bought one to try first but the ring spacing didn't fit the Ultradot.

FWIW, I have it posted for $40 shipped.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/7041053922

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Leopold base and rings on a 10" barreled .454 along with an Elite 3200 2-6x scope. It shoots consistently shoots groups around 1" at 100 yards if I do my part.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I'll probably go with the Leupold base and rings. Not much of a hotrodder with this gun since I tore the TFL in my right wrist a few years ago. It's probably totally healed by now, but no use in aggravating it. 420 LFN's at 1100'ish should do just fine for deer.

quote:
Originally posted by PWS:

FWIW, I have it posted for $40 shipped.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/7041053922

And that post right there is what started off this whole idea! If they were 1" rings, the check would already be in the mail.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I'll never use the base and rings and nobody else seems to want them so if you just want the base, PM me your address and it's yours for the cost of a small flat rate box.

Mike in Kodiak

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. PM incoming.

Now the question of 2x or 4x?