THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    New to the stable; what's it good for?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to the stable; what's it good for?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Just came into a windfall, of sorts. Picked up 7 new guns for $500 (my lucky day, I guess Smiler). One of them is a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. What do folks hunt with this big ole thing? I'm guessing deer. No? Just playing with it for the first time yesterday, found that it is incredilby accurate; more so than any other hand gun I've ever fired. Anyway, any input appreciated. Never handgun hunted before.

TIA for any thoughts,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever your state regulations allow. The 44 is a great hunting round.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to add wild hogs to the list! Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lord have mercy, they allow handgun ownership in Boston, Mass? They barely allow us to have handguns here in the PRK.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
Lord have mercy, they allow handgun ownership in Boston, Mass? They barely allow us to have handguns here in the PRK.

Unless I've been a victim of an elaborate hoax, complete with a phony license, then yes. I, along with thousands of other MA residents, have a license to carry concealed. Mine's usually a Sig P220 in .45 ACP. With real bullets and everything! Wink Like many before you, I'm afraid you've been badly misinformed. One of the recent (and perfectly legal) acquisitions in this latest batch is a POS Intratek Tec 9, in 9mm Luger, with a 30 (I think) round magazine. It's a bit on the bulky side, however, so I don't think I'll be swapping it for my Sig anytime soon...Smiler Don't believe the hype.

Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
what are they good for? i hunt rabbits to deer with mine.i use only 2 loads and in my 7.5 sbh. they shoot to the same place at 25 yds.250 gr keith backed up with 24 gr h110 and a mag primer and 200 gr rnfp with 7 gr ww231 and std primer.dont need jackets or gaschecks in the sbh.i have gotten a little leading when i shoot a bunch of bullets with the hard lube.a softer lube like 50/50 works better for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamo, depends on what you consider accurate, but you are right about them shooting good and if you work at it that thing will give you some surprises. Mine gets under an inch at 50 yd's with cast boolits and I recently shot several 100 yd groups of four shots in 3/4" with one out each time to open the groups to 1-1/4" Mine has just reached 57,600 rounds through it.
Step up to a 320 gr boolit or so (Like the LBT.) and it will take about any animal in the country. I use heavy boolits for deer too and have piled up many, many with it.
That is one gun you will fall in love with.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
Kamo, depends on what you consider accurate, but you are right about them shooting good and if you work at it that thing will give you some surprises. Mine gets under an inch at 50 yd's with cast boolits and I recently shot several 100 yd groups of four shots in 3/4" with one out each time to open the groups to 1-1/4" Mine has just reached 57,600 rounds through it.
Step up to a 320 gr boolit or so (Like the LBT.) and it will take about any animal in the country. I use heavy boolits for deer too and have piled up many, many with it.
That is one gun you will fall in love with.

I appreciate the feedback; thanks. I have a respectable # of long and short guns, and have taken plenty with shotgun and rifle, but never had a 'hunting' handgun before. I've been shooting some factory stuff, just getting used to the feel, and first impressions are that it's amazingly accurate, relative to my 'non-hunting- handguns, kicks a bit (nothing scary), and packs a nice wallop. I wish the handle/grips were a bit longer, however...

Anyway, thanks for the tips, and any more appreciated.

KG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who wants to know....WHERE? DID? YOU? GET? SEVEN GUNS FOR 500 DOLLARS????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posts: 59 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Any thing from jack rabbit to deer and elk, I grew uo out west and always carry a handgun when hunting even if i have a rifle. I have had rifles get messed up due to a fall, and nearly stepped on enough rattle snakes to always carry when out side. in town it is usually one of my Glocks or my Ruger SP 101 .357 but in the woods or desert always have a 44 Mag SA straped on. I have three Super Black Hawks to of them Vaquero Bisleys for play, my custom 6" SBH is my hunting gun.

You cannot always live as you wish, but you must always live as you can

Posts: 14 | Location: SW Kansas 5 miles from the middle of nowhere | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You don't always have to shoot the biggest most powerful load all the time. A 250 SWC loaded to around 850fps is a rather pleasant plinker and should still handle most things.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have several big bore revolvers that I have taken quite a few big game heads with.
My stainless .44 super blackhawk is one of my favorite's and I have taken several hog's with it and a mountain lion.I have taken a few deer with my F.A. .454 casull but you don't need that much power for deer I have also taken deer with my Ruger blackhawk .357 mag

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the helpful thoughts on this. I think what I'll do is practice a bunch with it, and next year see if I can't blood it on a WTD in NH from a stand. As of now I don't do handloading, so will be looking for a factory load that's suitable. Couple other questions, please: a buddy of mine asked me if it was a newer or older model, and said something about "3 screws" (barn door open for wisecracks, here!) and being able to tell what 'generation' SBH it is I have. Comments? Also, do people ever have these 'scoped, or not?

TIA for the help.

KG

one of us
posted Hide Post
The SBH is not a three screw model. Those were the early guns without a transfer bar and were only safe with five rounds loaded and an empty under the hammer.
I use a red dot on mine for hunting because it is hard for me to see the sights anymore. I don't like pistol scopes for hunting because most are too dark in the mornings and evenings. I have never found a long eye relief scope that was bright enough. It hurts to see the deer just fine but the crosshairs and picture through a scope does not exist. Wait for it to get light enough and the deer are long gone.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to all for the helpful information; I really do appreciate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. aephilli!!!

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Shit luck. Bi-polar OCD self-acclaimed 'artiste' trust fund baby neighbor's super wealthy cousin learns that I hunt (I ran into him in the elevator a couple times in hunting garb, carrying some variety of newly-dead critters). Mentions that he'd like to see someone get some use out of his firearms, as he'd lost interest soon after buying them years ago. I say that I'll look at what he's got, see if I can't make use of any of them. I asked him what he wanted for the SBH. He says "$500, as long as you take all the others too..." Being the civic-minded type, always willing to help out, I took one for the team and took them. I haven't yet quite figured out what I can hunt with the Tec-9, but I'll figure something out, no doubt. Thanks to the PDRMA, I can only transfer 4 firearms per calendar year, so I'll have to wait to get the lot, but can't complain.

And lest ye think I'm one of those lucky types, the last time I won something was in the 3rd grade, and I found a star under my lunch plate in the cafeteria. For that I got the 3 foot tall gingerbread castle that had been decorating the entrance to the school for a month or more. It was only ornamental however, I was informed, and said monstrousity--to the tune of what must have been some 30 lbs. if it was an ounce-- was not fit for human consumption. My brother and I over the next week or so determined that they had lied to me. It was entirely edible (or at least not poisonous). After some cursory experiments, we learned that a few well-placed whacks with a hammer to the structure= rocking late night snackville! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
HEE, HEE, sounds like me. They had door prizes at all of our shoots. Loading equipment, you name it. The only thing I ever got was a ball cap. My friends get free guns given to them but I never get anything free.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely funny!!!!

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari, in addition to the animals listed above you can take with the .44 Magnum, out here in Idaho, I know several handgun hunters who use .44 Magnums for elk. One of my hunting partners killed a nice spike bull elk two years ago with his S&W 57 in .41 Magnum.

I use .41 Mag., .44 Mag., and 45 Colt revolvers for handgun hunting and they all work, so long as I shoot accurately.

So long as you know the limits of distance and have practiced, you'll not run into anything that the .44 Magnum won't take down very quickly.

Good luck.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamo If you are a dope dealer the Tec 9 is good for drive by's. Big Grin

The Ruger SB is a good 44.
Start with 44 special ammo and work up.
I use 240gr for deer sized game, I like the 270 Speer for pigs, for BIG big game a heavy cast bullet might be best. Federal Cast Core is plenty good, as are Buffalo bore, but Garrett Hammerheads are the best. His bullets are the hardest and toughest of any I have used.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But if you're a dope dealer the 4 gun transfer per year limit would crimp your style, no?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, they just steal guns and everything else they want. It's mostly honest people that go to the store to buy guns.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
But if you're a dope dealer the 4 gun transfer per year limit would crimp your style, no?

The 4 gun per year transfer law relates to private transactions only, I'm fairly certain. On purchases from an FFL, I don't think there's a limit. The law is intended to prevent persons without an FFL to take up dealing in firearms on the side, I believe.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Kamo If you are a dope dealer the Tec 9 is good for drive by's. Big Grin

Or for folks like Dylan Klebold of Columbine Massacre infamy...

Thanks for the input. Been shooting factory 240s, just getting used to it. The recoil is no biggie, but the grip is a bit short for my hand, I think. It's OK, but just not very comfortable to wield; just doesn't really 'feel good' in my hand like some others I have.

Anyway, no drive bys for me. If at all possible, my shooting is done from a stationary position, with the only real exception being sluicing crippled seaducks while chasing them under power. Legal seaward of the first manmade obstruction here... Smiler

Cheers,

KG

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Kamo

I have a S&W 629 Classic in .44 Mag. I absolutely LOVE it!! I've only had it for a little over a year, but I've taken 1 hog, 1 whitetail doe, 1 squirrel (caught raiding a feeder), and 3 rattlesnakes (including a 5 footer) with it. Regardless of what people say, I shoot the CCI Blazer 240 gr. JHP's in it. They are very affordable ($16-$18 per box of 50) and accurate in my gun (consistent 1.5-2" groups at 50 yards with open sights). I tried PMC and several others and none of them were anywhere near as accurate as the cheap CCI Blazers.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote