Find
Notify
Tools

I'll Take My 44magnum !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci...eadly-44-Magnum.html

After using my 44 for metallic silhouette matches and a bunch of deer, I like my 44 mag so I'll leave the sling bullets to the rest of you ! 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the author of that article is either mathematically challenged or intentionally biased. The projectile from a 44 mag is around 10 times the speed of these sling bullets.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...that author doesn't understand really, really basic physics. Nor does he know how to plug numbers into a ballistic calculator to determine energy.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember that the Daily Mail is challenged in many ways !! faint

I can't get HPs in my 44mag to whistle ,why not ?
They also forgot to mention another whistler ,our F4U !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the article:
quote:
"And German researcher and slingshot enthusiast Jörg Sprave has since analysed their kinetic energy to make the startling discovery."

He has a website about slingshots and other similar weapons that is quite interesting:

http://www.theslingshotforum.com/

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But think of it this way, as the battle front moves, you could re-use your fired ammo with the slingshot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six rocks or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a sling, the most powerful rock chucker in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Well, the article is typical Daily Mail B-S, especially using the term "stopping power", a favorite of American gun scribes 40 years ago!
Energy numbers are clearly biased towards velocity, so a more fair test might be plain momentum.
240x1200 = 288,000
1.7 oz is (according to my calculations) 743 grains.
100mph is (according to my calcs.) 146.7 fps.
so, 743 x 146.7 = 108,998.
So, the Roman sling "bullets" are still inferior tom the 44mag. Of course, they might still "take your head off"!!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David kille Goliath with a sling shot, but he had some heavy duty help..The rest of these guys are senile or just plain stupid...I'll take a 44 mag any old day and have a shoot out with them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a reason I stopped using slings, sling shots, throwing sticks, rocks bb, guns pellet guns or other primitive weapons most of the time when I was 9.

That's when I was given the ok to use a 22rf rifle and 870 20 ga. by myself my kill ratio sky rocketed after that.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote