New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 26 Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Today, I received my Model 1950 Hand Ejector 4th Model 45. Also, known as the Pre-26.

The serial number range is between 1953-1954. I have seen a later S 96906 twin lettered to 1953. I am almost certain this one is from 1953. This example is truly a 99 percent firearm.

This is a five screw frame. The first five screw in my possession. The barrel is tapered. The Hand Ejector 1955, 4th Model Target in .45 that followed uses a large/heavier, none tapered barrel, and target, Coke Bottle stocks that were meant to be used on the .44 Magnum. The Model 1955 45 can be found missed marked as the Model 1950. However, they are two separate models. The Model 1950 45 Target and the Mode 1955 45 Target can best be compared to the K38 Target Masterpiece, later the Model 14, and the K38 Combat Masterpiece, later Model 15.

There are approximately 2,768 Model 1950 Target 45/26s. This makes this firearm significantly more rare than Triple Locks, Model 1908 Hand Ejector, New Century. There were 15,375 Triple Locks made. The Model 1950 Target 45/26 would be discontinued in 1961.

There a very few, less than 500 hundred, Model 1950 Target 45 4th Models out there in .45 Colt (Long Colt.

The Model 1950 Target 45 4th Model later Model 26 did not survive. However, the Model 1955 Target 45/Model 25 did survive. Smith and Wesson still catalogs a Model 25.

The Model 1950 Target 45 military, fixed barrel brother is the Model 1950 Military 45. Likewise, very few less than a couple of hundred of the Military Model were chambered in 45 Colt (Long Colt). The Military Model would become the Model 22.

Both the Model 1950 Target and the Model 1955 are designed to shoot ball ammunition. Some do report good results with different loads. Most do not report this.

My Model 1950 Target 45 carries a 6 1/2 inch barrel, I believe the stocks are Magna, the trigger is semi-target and the hammer is semi-target. This is not a 3T firearm. This is a S Prefix serial number firearm. The S was first used on N-Frame firearms in 1946. Think of the tapper barrel of that similar to the tapper barrel of the N-frame 357s. The tapper barrel is simply more elegant and svelte. I love it. The barrel is pinned. However, the cylinders are not recessed as only the magnums had recesses cylinders. The recesses ing to enclose the cartridge head would not work on the 45 ACP cartridge. The chambers are recessed toward the mouth of the cylinders which allows the rimless ammunition to be fired without half moon or star moon clips. This feature was first seen on the Smith and Wesson Model 1917 after sometime after serial number 20,000. I say after serial number 20,000 because I have seen, personally a Model 1917 made before serial number 20,0000 that would not chamber the 45 ACP. The cartilage fell all the way to the mouth of the cylinder. Of course, for extraction purposes one must use the moon or star clips, or use a stick or dowel as a make shift ejector rod.

The S prefix denotes safe action for a Colt like hammer block. K-Frame firearms also started using S Prefix. The 1968 Gun Control Act created a situation where serial overlap would cause a violation of the Act. So, in 1969 the shift on the N-frames was made to N Prefix firearms to prevent overlap with the K-Frame S Prefixes. The N-Frame S serial numbers were much lower than K-Frame S serial numbers, but eventually the numbers would have caught up. So, the switch to N Prefix was made. The S prefix N-frames are generally considered more well finished.

Smith and Wesson would change to Numeral Models in 1957. However, I have seen the historical, factory letters that reference 1956 and 1957 as the year of the change from 1950 Hand Ejector to a specific Model Number.

This Model 1950 Target 45 Hand Ejector is my crown jewel of my humble N-Frame collection. I am humbled to be the holder of this revolver now. I have another S serial number 57 on the way which was made between 1964 and early 1965. The Model 57 was introduced to the market in 1964 with preproduction pieces dated to 196. We will discuss that next time.

The week I purchased this example another sold with much more wear for just under $3,000.00 dollars. I am still trying to smooth my soul for passing and then loosing on a Model 1950 Target .44 Special, Pre 24 with box and papers.

Please click on the images for larger photos. Forgive the poor quality photos.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

If you want any particular photo or view let me know.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking handgun

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Nice Smith.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking desirable Smith. I have a 4 screw 1955 as well as a number of 5 screw Smiths. Be very careful the 5 screw Smith bug has a terrible bite!

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE! I had a 1955 in the wooden presentation case several years ago. Those are great quality revolvers.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice Smith! The 45LC is one of my favorite pistol cartridges

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote