THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Anyone use Ghost Rings on there pistol?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use Ghost Rings on there pistol?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted
Has anyone used ghost rings on there pistol and if so did they like it? I really like them on my rifles and I was looking at a set for my Super Blackhawk and just wondering about opinions on them.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deep Space Hunter:
Has anyone used ghost rings on there pistol and if so did they like it? I really like them on my rifles and I was looking at a set for my Super Blackhawk and just wondering about opinions on them.

Me too thought about them just haven't done so.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO !
Proper operation of a 'ghost ring peep sight ' requires that the peep is close to the eye !!
At that location you don't even notice the thin ring
but the eye automatically centers the ring. When the ring is not close to the eye that doesn't work !!
Ghost ring peep on a handgun is not good , but on a rifle or shotgun for slugs it is excellent -- fast and accurate !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have ghost ring peep sights on three handguns, a Ruger 5” Blackhawk 44 mag, a Ruger 6” Security Six 357 mag and a Glock 27. Just ask my wife or any of the people watching her shoot for her concealed handgun license using the Ruger 357. She shot the center out of her target. Not one of the 50 timed rounds hit outside the 8 ring. In Texas, you can use any iron sighted handgun to qualify and it does not have to be your carry gun. I bought her a Glock 43 with a laser to carry. You can’t use a laser to qualify.

My wife does not shoot handguns or any firearm very often. Before shooting the course, she had only shot handguns three times. The first time out she shot a Ruger 22LR auto, a S&W 22LR Revolver, a Glock 26 (9MM) and a Colt Agent (2” 38). She did not shoot any of the four good enough to pass the course.

She said it was too hard to keep the front post on the target, even with the top of the rear sight and with equal amount of light on either side of the front post (centered in the rear sight). I told her to concentrate on the front sight but she was still missing most of her shots. She had no confidence in any of the four guns.

The second time out, I brought my Ruger Security Six with the peep sight. I loaded it with 38 Special ammo and told her to look at the front post thru the peep and put the post on the target. WOW! What a difference! She put all six in the black of the target. Not all in the 10 ring but close. She shot 30 rounds with all on the paper. Now she believed she could shoot a pistol. And she wanted to practice some more before shooting for score.

On the third trip to the range, she got better and better. She loved the peep sight. She said just look thru the peep at the front post and the bullet goes where the front post is. This time she shot 50 rounds and kept all of them in the black. She said she knew she could pass the course using the peep.

At the range, there were three instructors and 15 men and women shooting. Everyone was looking at her target during reload breaks. She shot better than any of them. Peep sights on handguns work!

Posts: 257 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with you, Turk. I made my own aperature rear sight for my Freedom 97 in 45 Colt. Works great! Concentrate on front sight thru the peep and keeps as good or better group on target at 50 yds as a red dot.

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I've never thot about it . but I guess it stands to reason . I wonder if there is a factory made ghost ring peep rear sight insert for Ruger adjustable rear sights. ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot, Google up "one ragged hole".

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
I've never thot about it . but I guess it stands to reason . I wonder if there is a factory made ghost ring peep rear sight insert for Ruger adjustable rear sights. ?

There may be others, but here's one.....

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like something I need to try on my SRH. For the price it looks like It may save the expense , size and weight of an optic. If it doesn't work I won't be out much.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Looks like something I need to try on my SRH. For the price it looks like It may save the expense , size and weight of an optic. If it doesn't work I won't be out much.

That was my thoughts as well. And I won't have to buy a new holster.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I;ll stay with regular target type sights on my pistols..No red dots that run on batteries, and I have practiced point shooting for 60 years with my pistols,ostly auto, Browning HP and Colt 1911, and you can get pretty good at it in that much time..I have target sights on my hunting pistols which are all revolvers, but Im a curmudgeon and definatly outdated, but hell I still have a flip phone to the dismay of my family!~ rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray; I have several friends that got rid of their smart fons and went back to flippers.
Deep Space Hunter; I'll try one and see . If its an overwhelming success I'll either modify my holster or make a new one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a peep sight for my Single Six, an improvement for me as I don't shoot open sights well. I also still have the flip phone, not ready for a change yet.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the Warren peep on my Ruger blackhawk...sure helped me! My old eyes and open sights don't mix well any more.

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make one for a Dan Wesson M40 revolver?

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried them on s couple of Rugers and in the beginning they were a help. After a relatively short time I switched back to the regular sights and discovered I had improved with them to the point that they were better than the ghost ring. I'm glad I did try them even though I ended up not keeping them on the guns.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that sucker would have to have a hole the size of a golf ball to be fast and effective, that's the purpose of a Ghost ring, I like them on a rifle for sure, but not ready to confirm them on a pistol as Ive never had te opertunity to shoot ghost rings on a pistol..the hole on my ghost rings on rifles is 1/4" but differs from a receiver sight in that the out side metal of the ring is very thin where the receiver is rather thick. That optical eye oberservation would be very small as the length form eye to sight increased thus voiding its use perhaps or so it would seem to me as I have to be about 4 inches with a rifle more or less...never measured it, but need to be close as you can be without positioning your eye in danger..I also find the very close to the eye tang sight the most effective, its only fault is shooting up hill that changes the the position of the peep and can punch you in the eye if your not aware and make that adjustment.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote