New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB Moon Clips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone want to sell some half moon or full moon/star clips? I just bought a Pre 26 Smith and Wesson 45 Auto.

It can be fired wo clips, but you know.

Posts: 10570 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I wish I had some extras for you friend. But most, if not all of mine are sitting ready and loaded with standard ball. Might need them one day. I picked them up a few years ago from Midway USA and Dillon Precision. I made up a short '37 Brazilian. Good luck and Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from Dillon. Also, have bought them at Army Surplus stores, good luck.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my way to Dillon. Thank you guys.

Posts: 10570 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I was going to recommend Dillon but I was beaten to it. It is more classic with the clips but you can also use the 45 Auto Rim. Good luck finding brass these days though.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lazy but I like to use the ACPs in moonclips. You can reload quite fast. You can keep differing loads in separate clips, ..... I'm nothing like JM but I was pretty fast at the reload at one time. I keep JHPs and flat point ball on different clips. For the woods I can keep one shot load to come up next. Vary it for your own use. YMMV Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500: If you are a handloader, and can find some .45 Auto Rim brass, you might enjoy using it. I have a S&W Model 625 and found with the same loads, the AR brass cut my group size in half from .45 ACP and full-moon clips. A friend who has an early Model 25 thought I was crazy. He has a Ransom Rest so he tried both kinds of brass in his gun, and also found the AR brass shot considerably smaller groups. I don't know why. My guess is that there is some spring in the clips and results in a less consistent hammer strike but I don't know how to test my theory. I use my 625 mainly for shooting jackrabbits so I don't need a quick reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no issue using 45 Auto Rim. I also have no issue for the range using 45 ACP single loaded and extracting by means of a wood dowel. The 45ACP Smiths have a rebated cylinder that allows the cartridge to headspace in the cylinder correctly. The star just can’t grab the rimless, well rim.

I have seen a few very early M1917s SW that did not have that feature. However, the modification was introduced early in M1917 SW production.

Of course, 99 percent of us know that.

I just want to have some clips with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understandable as it is classic.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the full-moon clips I use from Dillon also. They also sell a handy little tool for removing fired brass from the clips that is easy to use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. That is a handy little tool. I don't think mine is the Dillon but mine does each shell at a time + I think that Dillon has one that offers one that removes all six in one operation. I think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can find a large assortment of moon clips for sale on Ebay

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6589 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few that I don't need. I got them from Wilson I think. They won't work with my 4 screw model 25. The told me some of the early guns did not have enough room between the rear of the cylinder and the recoil shield ( i think that's what it is called). But that was not the problem on my gun. The outside diameter when the clip is loaded is just a tiny bit too big, in other words the OD of the loaded rounds is larger than the OD of the charge holes in the cylinder. I can load 2 or 3 rounds next to each other and they will chamber and fire fine. I don't know if you will have the same issue or not. I recently got some AR brass and that's what I'm using now. I'll be happy to send you these to try.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
for easy range shooting, these work fine. No need for extra tools, demooners, etc. They're made of nylon and are hand-friendly.

https://www.ezmoonclip.com

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2308 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dillon was short of short on moon clips, but I found some here:

Revolver Supply Company

Waiting for them to arrive and will see how they work in the M1917 S&W.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try TK custom, they make them for about anything. I just ordered some for my 642. They were having a 2 for 1 sale but I am not sure if it is still on.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you two get your clips and are they working? Just wondering? Be Well, Packy.