THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    bfrshooter now you did it. Thanks A lot

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bfrshooter now you did it. Thanks A lot
 Login/Join

posted
Well now I am thinking of adding another revolver to my collection. After seeing you post on your BFR's with regards to accuracy and quality build now I am thinking of adding a custom model if that is what they call their special shop. I looked at them on the site last night and read a ton on the BFR's of late. I have seen them years ago and they left a bad taste in my mouth as they didn't look well built but now it seems a lot has changed and quality it very good.

I am thinking about getting a 475 Linebaugh long. Can I get this done or not.

I also Have a few worried is that they only warrenty for 1 year. but is that kind of standard in the industry?

Next is what really bothers me is that if you RELOAD and shoot your home made bullets out of it, IT VOIDS warrantee. WOW

Don't know if this is something to worry about or not but after reading it it makes me wonder if this might just be the standard for most gun makers and I didn't really know it.

Now I have read a lot of your posts regarding accuracy that you are having. I seem to be cut of the same cloth as you are. IF I am not getting under 3 inch groups at 100 or atleast capable of it I am not happy with that load. So what have you done as far as accuracy goes in most of your guns at either 50 or 100 yards?

Also Do to the longer cylinder I see to feel that you can load much heavier bullets.

Opps Really need your input on this topic as I just remembered. When I looked at the site and saw that they have two different cylinder lengths one LONG and one they call short LOL. NOW it seems to me that there is no inbetween here. Like matching a clyinder for the cartridge itself. So If I wanted a custome 480 I am still getting the standard SHORT cylinder not a cylinder cut to specifics is that right or not. What I was worried about is that there could be a large jump for the bullet to get to the barrel so could affect accuracy.

I don't know if this is true or not but just from looking it looked like only two cylinder lengths were available.

All This is your fault LOL. Thanks For any help.

Brian

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
445, ALL gunmakers have the same disclaimer about the warranty being void if you shoot reloads.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First you don't need anything more then the .475. It is fantastic and will take any boolit. It has enough power for anything and is super accurate. I have shot mine to 500 meters and was even hitting a small swinger at 400 yd's. I get groups from 9/16", 5/8" to 1 inch at 50 yd's and believe it of not, the Lee 400 gr is extremely accurate.
Don't worry about the warranty, every gunmaker says the same thing and none of them want you to shoot reloads. It is a lawyer thing but I find they overlook it and you don't have to tell then anyway.
I would not bother with a custom gun unless you want some embellishments, they shoot great as they are and getting a caliber that is easy to get brass for is the best.
It might be nice to have a 10" barrel in the .475 though, mine is 7-1/2". Great deer gun.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I was thinking that the warranty was kind of universal for all makers. BFR I really want a 475 LLLLLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGG. I really do. SO If I do go and get a 475 long will it have to come from the custom shop?

I am glad about the accuracy you are getting from yours and makes me even more excited to get one.

BFR I was thinking of getting a 7.5 barrel but do you wish you had a 10 incher instead if you did it all over again.

I do scope all my guns so wonder if it is better for a longer barrel or not.

What kind of velocities are you getting with your 475?????????

Thanks Brian

posted Hide Post
BFR what about this

Really need your input on this topic as I just remembered. When I looked at the site and saw that they have two different cylinder lengths one LONG and one they call short LOL. NOW it seems to me that there is no inbetween here. Like matching a clyinder for the cartridge itself. So If I wanted a custome 480 I am still getting the standard SHORT cylinder not a cylinder cut to specifics is that right or not. What I was worried about is that there could be a large jump for the bullet to get to the barrel so could affect accuracy.

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mess with a custom .480, get the .475 Linebaugh. (Of course it shoots the .480 too and is called the .480/.475.) I tried .480 brass and didn't like it. It has the short cylinder and my 45-70 has the long one. The short cylinder is still very long and will take any weight boolit you want to shoot.
I got the 7-1/2" because it is standard and was on sale from a distributer. My friend has a license and it cost me $715 out the door. I wanted a 10" but it would have to be ordered and would cost me a lot more. I am still happy with it though. It is easy to handle in the field.
The boolit jump is an old wives tale. My 45-70 bullet is so far down I need a flashlight to see it but it too shoots 9/16" groups at 50 yd's.
They come with a scope base standard. I use Ultra Dots because they are easy to hunt with and can take the recoil without breaking.
The guns are stronger then Rugers because they are 5 shot and all the castings and parts are made by Ruger's foundry and fit by another company for Magnum Research. You might say they are custom Ruger's.
They may not be as pretty as a Freedom or fit as tight but they are very accurate and more versatile.
I don't know what a .475 "long" would be and you don't need the super long cylinder with the Linebaugh. The standard cylinder will take heavier, longer boolits then you would care to shoot. I have gone to 460 gr's and still had a lot of room. They shoot better with around 400 gr's anyway.
Now if you do want a long cylinder, they have the 45-70, .450 Marlin, .500 S&W, .460, 30-30 and some others.
My most accurate loads with my 411 gr WFN does 1329 fps and my 429 gr WLNGC style does 1341 fps. Plenty fast and nothing stops them.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The standard length BFR's cylinder is 1.845" long and encloses the rim, so that's your max loaded length. The Maxine's cylinder is 3.00" long. On some of the early BFRs they had a shorter cylinder and the barrel stuck back into the frame opening. When they anounced the 500 S&W I was hopeing that they would make a medium length frame for it, but it didn't happen.
I did see on Gunbroker awhile back that someone had a 475 built on the long frame. The 475 long is a 1.6" case and you can just cut down win 45-70 cases. When the 475 was standardized they went with a smaller rim, the same size as the 480. I'm guessing it was to fit in the Freedom Arms smaller frame?
One thing to know about the BFR is that they measure the barrel length from the front of the frame, not the end of the barrel. I have the 6 1/2" 475 but the barrel is closer to 7 1/4".
I was talking with the custom shop about a year ago, thinking of getting the 50AE and an extra cylinder for 500S&W x 1.4". You can buy the gun directly from them, the extra cylinder was about $300, you can order any custom barrel length. The total price was going to be around $1300 with a delivery time of 3 weeks. I don't know what it is now, but should be way faster than 18 months(what my buddy had to wait to get his Linebaugh made 475).
I have a 45-70 BFR also with the 10.5" bbl. I did some playing with 405 and 500gn cast. I got the 405's up to 1750fps. The gun was still controllable, but not fun to shoot anymore. I did shoot a 1.4" group at 50 yds with open sights at that velocity. I relaxed on one shot and it almost got away from me. I can understand the need for a 475 Long(check my by line), but the standard length 475 would be a better all around gun in my opinion. My 45-70 weighs almost 5#. It is not comfortable to carry in a hip holster. I think BFRShooter has a cross chest something(brain quit). I picked up an EJH cross draw holster for the 475 on Gunbroker and it rides pretty good. It's a very nice holster for only $40.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=68183229

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a shoulder holster on every gun except the 45-70. Need to buy a bigger holster. I use slings on all of my revolvers and they hang right at my hand. Great for tree stands too. I doze off once in a while and don't want to drop a gun. The sling is a great aid to shooting because you can push out against it. I put swivel studs on the butts and use the 6 foot utility sling from Midsouth.
Glenn, I love those grips!

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Oops, not mine. That is there photo from Gunbroker that the link points to. I do have that holster. I bought a regular(not cross draw) for my Son's 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawk last year, and it fit like a glove. I almost didn't want to give it to him when it got here. I ordered one for me this week.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote