THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    A telescopic sight for my Ruger MK III pistol?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A telescopic sight for my Ruger MK III pistol?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've given up on the electro-optical dot I had been using with my Ruger MK III target pistol. I want to install a 2x or 3X telescopic sight in its place. But I have avoided telescopic sights except for a Nikon (Philippine made) 4X I installed on my Ruger 10/22 at least 15 years ago. My only experience with scoped pistol shooting occurred more than 30 years ago when I went target shooting with a friend and his special 8-inch barreled Python. I had major problems seeing the target because the slightest movement caused the target to be blacked out.

Hoping that technology has substantially improved them, among long eye relief handgun scopes within the magnification I prefer, which ones have the widest field of view at proper distance for two-handed shooting from a rest/support?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pistol scopes have not changed. You need a rest to shoot them accurately. A laser is pretty much the same, you chase the dot all over the place.
I shot NRA Bullseye for many years with an Ultra Dot one handed. With 2 hands it was Extremely accurate.
Open sights are better than a scope or laser.
My opinion, but derived after Many thousands of rounds in IPSC style and Bullseye competition.
Best money you can spend is ammo. Buy a case of good standard/target ammo. Shoot often, shoot a lot.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger MkIII suppressed with a Bushnell 2-6 Trophy scope on it. In the last 5 years I've taken about 400 groundhogs with it and Rem. subsonic ammo out to 101 yds. It's a fantastic set up.
These scopes are not made any more, but I see them off&on for sell on sites. Alternative sights would be Weaver and Simmons 2-6X scopes.
Don't handicap yourself with a fixed power scope.
Scope blackout is merely a function of proper eye alignment which is corrected by practice.
Red dot scopes are short range, big animal scopes. Most dots cover up small animals past 50 yds. and make 100 yd. shooting at 100 yds. very difficult. I have UltraDots on my .500 S&W and .475 Linebaugh for use on lions, Cape buffs, deer less than 75 yds, groundhogs out to 50 yds. They're not useful for run of the mill hunting and lack versatility of variable scopes.
Open sights will be harder to use as you age, and, like red dots, are difficult on small animals/targets at longer ranges.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you find one, the Bushnell 2x6 Trophy is an outstanding pistol scope. Large field of view and the eye relief stays the same throughout the adjustment range. I believe the new Weaver 2x6 sold through Natchez is the same scope. Mine is identical.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 2X Nikon for several years on mine and shot a bunch of prairie dogs with it over the years very efficiently. That was a great optic and fun to shoot at extreme range with the great target turret system Nikon put in many of their optics. I also have a newer 2-6X Weaver myself on an XP-100 i used for coyotes and do like it. I'm gonna have to adjust the parallax out of it since there is some at longer ranges. But it is a very good optic IMO for the money.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 4X EER on my MkII 5.5" Hvy Bbl& 6-7/8" Govt Model.
Leupold 2X EER on my wife's 6-7/8" slab side.

1200fps high velocity ammo zeroed at 50yds.
6oclock duplex post +4' is 100yd zero w/ 4X scope.

Mine are mounted in Leupold Rem 541 2 pc bases w/ Leupold QRW mediun rings since introduced.

Rotate 2 levers 3 revolutions & open sights are still installed/zeroed.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being unable to afford a Leupold 2x28 mm pistol scope, I bought a NIB Weaver 2x28 mm. Although it is discontinued with warranty no longer usable, I felt the likelihood of this fixed power scope malfunctioning on a 22 LR pistol is miniscule. Regarding its small field of view, I practice sighting while always using a rested position.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote