THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Bullet choice for smith and Wesson .500 on black bear.

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet choice for smith and Wesson .500 on black bear.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm booking a black bear hunt with hounds in new mexico this coming year. I was going to take the .505 gibbs but I was told a long shot is 20 yards so I figured I would take the Smith and Wesson. 500. My question is what bullet should I use. I have some 420 grain punch bullet or barnes 375 grain xpb. Both loaded pretty hot. The guild said average bears are 200 to 250 pounds. So do I need more penetration or more expansion?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
not for nothing - i've killed 200+# hogs with a 357, 10mm, 45 acp (that one SUCKED), 45 colt warm cowboy loads --

so, my recommendation is that shot placement is FAR more critical than "whack" -- use a load you can hit a playing card with, at 25 yards, every time.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they well both work.

Having shot black bears with 41 and 44s I don't know of any 500 bullet that well not work.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess both bullets will most likely do the trick, I'm just wondering if the barnes hollow point would cause to much damage and meat loss, and I'm worried that the punch bullet might over penetrate and that may be bad shotting up at a tree.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You don't need lots of penetration for this application so I would opt for the XPB with a full head of steam.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea I think the barnes is the way to go. I'll load some up this weekend and get them dialed in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 375 gr. XPB is unbelievably accurate in my .500, like 1 1/2" at 100. Did a 8' brown bear in AK with it at 129 yds. with one shot.
Black bears are not as tough. Xs work, but so do 250 gr. Keith .44s. Did a NM blackie with one in an Anaconda. No problems.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used the 275 xpb on deer and black bear. It loads to 1800 fps easily, shoots flat, low recoil and always passes through.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the wound channel look like with the barnes. Is there to much meat loss?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
What does the wound channel look like with the barnes. Is there to much meat loss?

They do a lot of damage. I would put up with meat loss if it means putting the animal down quickly.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Golf ball sized exit wound and you will be grinding some burger. I don’t like looking for my game after it runs in the thick stuff where I hunt. So, I’ll trade some hamburger for dead right there.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Golf ball sized exit wound and you will be grinding some burger. I don’t like looking for my game after it runs in the thick stuff where I hunt. So, I’ll trade some hamburger for dead right there.

Exactly!

Semper Fidelis