New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me S@W 686
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Years ago I brought a 99 percent 6 inch 586 for the right price.

I only fired 6 rounds in it to sight it in.

It sat in the safe unused as carrying and using a blued handgun results in finish damage and reduces value quickly.

A friend brought a 6 inch 686+ I showed him a my 586 he wanted to buy it.

I told him I would trade my 586 for his 686 as I normally don't sell firearms I acquire nor does he.

After a few months we traded.

I had a hard time getting the 686 sighted in properly. Had to use all the elevation and right windage up.

I was not a happy camper.

Then I was dry firing it and noticed the front side plate screw was lose.

After taking care of the side plate screws I notice the sight base screw was loose also.

Took care of that and now the rear sight is in the center of the adjustment range.

I have now shot, carried it a lot and it still looks like the day I acquired it.

Mu friend told me he has yet to shoot the 586 he like pretty guns.

If I am having a good day it well put most of the shots under a inch and half standing at 20 yards. Most in a ragged hole haven't shot it further.

The single action pull is 4.5 pounds the double action bottoms my 8 pound trigger gage out I am guessing around 12. The 7 shot cly. is very easy and fast to stage making double action shooting fast and accurate. At 10 yards fast double action I can dump the cly. into a 2 inch target dot.

I hardly ever shoot a double action revolver single action

With 9.5 grs of herco under a 158gr XTPHP or 162gr hard cast SWC. 1302fps for the xtps and 1330fps for the hard cast

Just ordered a 200gr wfn mold.

I have been carrying it on my morning four mile walks and running bear baits.

Might carry it deer season instead of my 41mag and wack a deer with it.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it would hunt very well, with such great accuracy. My only concern with the 200 gr bullet would be stabilizing it at 6" bbl velocity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My only concern with the 200 gr bullet would be stabilizing it at 6" bbl velocity.

We shall see when I get some cast

Might be awhile been in the upper 80's here well have to cool down a bit.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A 200 WFN in the boiler room ought to do for a Wisconsin whitetail, PD. Whose mold did you order?
I had a four-inch, six-shot 686 not long after they first came out. It was kinda heavy, but boy was it accurate.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother sent me two Lee double cavity molds.

He said have a happy birthday.

I just think he wants me to cast him some bullets.

That I well do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds promising. I load and shoot 180 grain WFNGC boolits fueled by Win 296. Mine is also the plus version with 7 shot cylinder, 7 inch barrel and unfluted cylinder.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of velocities are you getting with the 180's

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting 1271 fps average velocity shooting the Montana Bullet Works WFNGC 180 grain bullet fueled by 14 grains of Win 296 and CCI 550 primers.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote