THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Speedloader for S&W 627, 8 shot

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedloader for S&W 627, 8 shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've looked at two different speedloaders for the aforementioned pistol. I would like to carry at least one with me while hog hunting.

Five Star

https://www.5starfirearms.com/...der-p/nf35708000.htm

SpeedBeez

https://www.speedbeez.com/prod...ader-8-shot-38357-2/

I favor the SpeedBeez, but it seems there are problems with the grips/cylinder release interfering with the use of this speedloader on the Smith 627.

any thoughts or recommendations.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moon clips. Most of the 627 8 shots are cut for them. That's what I use.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I think Dillon carries the speed loaders as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I went to moon clips on the revolvers I regularly carry about 20 years ago. They're MUCH better than speed loaders.

They're quicker, handier to carry and the shells are held so you don't end up dropping them like when you try to unload into a speed loader.

And when you cut a cylinder for moon clips you don't lose any features. You can still single load (rim headspaces on the unmachined outer portion of the cylinder) or still use a speed loader if you'd like.

If your gun isn't cut for moonclips, someone like TK Customs will machine it for $125 to $150. I've been really happy with every one I've had done.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have good results over the years using moonclips w/ my 1917 + 625 S+W in 45 ACP.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys notice any accuracy difference when using/not using the moonclips?

My 627 isn't super-accurate compared to either 586's either way, but it's better with the moon clips in my (admittedly not very extensive) testing.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not own a 627, but have a 625. I get distinctly better accuracy using the .45 Auto Rimmed than using the .45 ACP in full-moon clips. Group size is about half the size with the AR brass. A friend who has a Model 25 had the same results when he fired his revolver from a Ransom Rest. My theory is that there is a much more consistent hammer strike with the AR brass. The ACP cases are a little loose in the clips and the clips themselves seem a little springy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I have had the same results. Admitadely, when the half moon clips were invented it was for expediency + MOA was not really an issue in trench warfare.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get decent accuracy with the full-moon clips but much better with .45 AR brass. I use the full-moon clips for informal steel plate matches and the accuracy is totally adequate. I use the AR brass loads when I hunt jack rabbits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be time for a new revolverSmiler
https://www.ruger.com/products...specSheets/5050.html

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned an 8-shot S&W 627 for years and have fired it a lot, including competition. Full moon clips have proven to be the way to go, for me, hands down. Federal brass has proven to be by far the smoothest at dropping into the cylinder.