The Accurate Reloading Forums
Which 10mm?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2911043/m/3111026391

30 October 2013, 02:06
Snowwolfe
Which 10mm?
Plan on buying a 10mm soon and the choices are either a Kimber or Glock 20.
Kimber runs around $1K for the stainless match model which also had adjustable sights. The Glock runs about $600 so add about $100 for good adjustable sights.
I would be loading on the warm to hot side and Would be expecting it to be capable of shooting about 2 inches at 25 yards.
All opinions are welcome.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
30 October 2013, 05:41
Dans40XC
Smith & Wesson 1006/1076 will run 180gr @ 1300 w/ ease.

In an unsupported/linked 1911 or Combat Tupperware hand gun you can't get there!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com
30 October 2013, 07:42
MS Hitman
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:

In an unsupported/linked 1911 or Combat Tupperware hand gun you can't get there!

Not that one needs to achieve those velocities, for deer or hogs. 1,100 fps with the 180s, especially cast bullets, will work well.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.
30 October 2013, 08:12
Seasons44
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Kimber runs around $1K for the stainless match model which also had adjustable sights. The Glock runs about $600 so add about $100 for good adjustable sights.
I would be loading on the warm to hot side and Would be expecting it to be capable of shooting about 2 inches at 25 yards.

I would look at Kimber's with caution, they are are hit and miss with quality, a very well know smith see's more kimbers than any other brand.

Delta Elites are another good base gun to start with as well

Simply, Elegant but always approachable
30 October 2013, 08:23
333_OKH
I am a biologist and work in the field alone most of the time. I got a 10mm for the extra power...I am not a glock fan but bought the 29 due to the small size. I do not need any more weight on me. It will do the 2" at 25 from a rest. I only shoot Double Tap ammo. I consider it a tool just like my cruiser axe and backpack. It does very well and in the brush it will hammer a wounded boar or blk bear just fine having done that twice on hog and once on bear.
30 October 2013, 09:35
Snowwolfe
I own a Kimber stainless gold match .45 acp for at least ten years and never had one issue with it. But I heard the earlier models were built better. I did own the Glock before and never had any problems with it.
S&W 1006 is not being made but they appear to be well built from what I read.
Just ordered 500 pieces of Star Line brass, was pleasantly surprised to see it in stock. Keep the comments coming.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
31 October 2013, 06:15
333_OKH
Oh I lied I was shooting that prvi ammo for practice.
31 October 2013, 09:54
Kyler Hamann
Like 333 I'm not a big Glock fan, or even a semi-auto fan, but I think the Glock 29 is in a class by itself for size versus power. If I'm serious I carry a .44 wheel gun, but I end up carrying the Glock 10mm really often.

Free hand I sure can't shoot it as well as a longer barreled gun and/or a revolver, but off of a solid rest I've gotten a bunch of loads to group within 1.5" at 25 yards so it's not the guns fault.

That whole bad rap that the 10mm has gotten about bulging casings and "smiling" brass from unsupported chambers seems ridiculous to me. I've been reloading for the 10mm in Glocks for nearly 20 years. It's no different than the problems from over-loading any cartridge. When people devulge the loads they've come up with that are hot enough to damage brass they are typically way over published data. It seems really easy to avoid.

I guess if someone was on a deserted island with only one gun and it was covered in large bears or hungry T-Rex's I too would be damaging brass. But in the world I live in the standard (safe) 10mm loads are plenty powerful most of the time - and when I need more juice I reach for something bigger in the safe.

02 November 2013, 20:26
HippoHunter
My choice is a Glock 20, with a 6 inch barrel. The Power to Weight ratio, is unbeatable.
03 November 2013, 07:26
JBrown
quote:
Originally posted by HippoHunter:
My choice is a Glock 20, with a 6 inch barrel. The Power to Weight ratio, is unbeatable.

Bingo!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown
06 November 2013, 03:20
gruvco2
if your thinking about shooting hard cast bullets, which is my preference, in the glock your going to need to upgrade it with a custom barrel, like a lone wolf. the customs all seem to have a fully supported chambers which will make your brass last longer. the custom barrel will put your glock cost near the kimber. there are several other 1911's available currently, in 10mm, on both ends of the cost spectrum that are worth considering before purchasing like the rock island armory, colt, and sti. good luck in your search
13 November 2013, 06:08
Palladin8
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:

I achieve 1250fps with a 200gr cast or 200gr xtp with no problem from my Kimber. It's not even the max load.
13 November 2013, 06:23
gsganzer
snowwolfe,
I own a Dan Wesson CBOB, EAA Witness Match and S&W 1076 all in 10mm. You won't be disappointed with any of the 3. The CBOB is a sexy pistol that feels and shoots great. The EAA is extremely accurate and has a great trigger. It's a beast of a gun. My friends call it "Robogun", but it'd be a great hunter. The 1076 is my truck gun. The DA/SA is nice and it feeds flawlessly, accuracy is not on par with the other two though, but it never fails to feed anything you put in it.
13 November 2013, 08:59
drewhenrytnt
I shoot nothing but Double Tap in my Glock 20. The load preferred is 200gr Nosler HP.
2" is no problem at 25-30yds.
That load has consistantly chrony'd 1200fps from the short barrel and 1300fps from the 6" barrel.

Other opinions may differ, but I like a 22lb spring with the tungsten guiderod, a 3.5lb drop-in trigger and a recoil buffer. I also added Trijicon dual color adjustable sights.

This is what I carry for two legged assailants or 4 legged assailants. Wish I would have bought one many years ago.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club
13 November 2013, 19:43
Randominator
I have a Glock 20SF that I carry a lot. I have installed a 6" KKM barrel and it will shot 150 gr. Noslers at 1520 fps. and 190 gr. WFNGC at 1335 fps. Accuracy is less than 2" with both loads at 35 yards.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
14 November 2013, 01:20
Snowwolfe
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
snowwolfe,
I own a Dan Wesson CBOB, EAA Witness Match and S&W 1076 all in 10mm. You won't be disappointed with any of the 3. The CBOB is a sexy pistol that feels and shoots great. The EAA is extremely accurate and has a great trigger. It's a beast of a gun. My friends call it "Robogun", but it'd be a great hunter. The 1076 is my truck gun. The DA/SA is nice and it feeds flawlessly, accuracy is not on par with the other two though, but it never fails to feed anything you put in it.

Trick question of sorts. If you had to pick one of the three to keep and sell the other two which one would win?

14 November 2013, 01:51
gsganzer
Snowwolfe,
I'd keep the CBOB, hands down. It works for EDC, truck gun and hunting backup.

All three are vastly different guns. The 1076 is too heavy for everyday carry but is reliable and works great as a truck gun where you can keep extra mags handy. The EAA is too big for either carry or truck gun, plus it's single action only, without a grip safety. But it's incredibly accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The slide sits low in the frame, putting the barrel lower and reducing muzzle rise.

However, If I was in your shoes and just getting into 10mm's, I'd get a Glock 20. It seems to check all the boxes. Size, firepower, accuracy etc.
14 November 2013, 04:08
tiggertate
True characteristics about the single action Witness but they make several models of Witness in 10MM that are double action and in many sizes including a compact. They even make a polymer frame 10MM version of the Witness.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.
14 November 2013, 04:22
JCS271
I carry my slim frame G-20 with double tap 200gr nearly everywhere I go. It and the other 5 glocks in 10, 45 and 40 that I own have NEVER failed me. My one (and last) experience with Kimbers was my CDP Pro, what an absolute piece of unreliable CRAP. Glocks are $550 that damn Kimber was $1089. Nuff said!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
14 November 2013, 06:25
gsganzer
Snowwolfe,
I can't remember for sure, but I believe I put in a bigger spring on my EAA witness match based on others saying they got cracked frames when shooting hot loads. I just grabbed mine in the safe and racked the slide and it is a pretty stout spring. Google the EAA witness and you might find the same info.
14 November 2013, 23:22
Peter
I posted this back in 2010. Title of topic is "10mm anyone" I believe in the "Pistol Shooting" forum. Anyway it shows a target shot with my EAA Witness Elite match in 10mm.
http://i112.photobucket.com/al..._2006/10mmtarget.jpg
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;
15 November 2013, 02:28
Snowwolfe
Any of you Glock guys install adjustable sights on your pistol? If you did, what sights did you add?

21 November 2013, 10:30
TEANCUM
I'm getting a chrongraphed 1165fps with a hard cast 180g. slug out of my .40S&W G27 with a KKM barrel. Accuracy is great with some trigger work and the weight is awesome for carry either on the belt or IWB.

If you reload....... that could be a possible using Power Pistol.

I've looked at the G20 and wondered what I could get out of that with a KKM barrel and some warmed up hand loads but then again I have other pistols for those needs, but they are revolvers and don't have the 15 round mag.

The G20 has become very popular here in Idaho with a lot of the horse folks that get into the wilderness areas. We have a big problem with wolves as well as having cougars and black bears that all seemed attracted to horses as a burger on the hoof. The cowboys like the power and weight the most but appreciate the large mag capacity as well. In fact the G20 is very difficult to find here due to those guys.
24 November 2013, 06:06
JCS271
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
The G20 has become very popular here in Idaho with a lot of the horse folks that get into the wilderness areas. We have a big problem with wolves as well as having cougars and black bears that all seemed attracted to horses as a burger on the hoof. The cowboys like the power and weight the most but appreciate the large mag capacity as well. In fact the G20 is very difficult to find here due to those guys.

Much the same experience here in Montana. There are a LOT of guys putting up their .44's, 454 etc and going with the G20. It is just a great combination of carrying weight, capacity, reliability for half the price of an S&W 329 .44mag (which I also own and love!).

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
24 November 2013, 14:14
Boxhead
I went the Para 16-40 route and fitted a BarSto 10mm barrel and bushing. I go back and forth with the same mags. Hold 17 10's...

24 November 2013, 16:23
Dave James
I own three 10mm as of right now, my old off duty gun a S&W 1086, about the best damn carry gun I have had!, A S&W 1076 and the Glock 20, have toyed around with going the long slide route on the 20, but for hunting I am looking for one of Smith's wheel guns in 10mm now, great round!

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state
25 November 2013, 00:45
jwp475
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
I went the Para 16-40 route and fitted a BarSto 10mm barrel and bushing. I go back and forth with the same mags. Hold 17 10's...

That is a hell of a defensive rig..... tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill
18 January 2014, 19:47
Doug Pisano
Consider a RIA 1911 Tac FSII in 10MM?? I have one on order. Costs under $700 new. I also have a compact tac I 45acp. Very nice trigger, etc.

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/
19 January 2014, 21:50
jwp475
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Pisano:
Consider a RIA 1911 Tac FSII in 10MM?? I have one on order. Costs under $700 new. I also have a compact tac I 45acp. Very nice trigger, etc.

I believe they are link less are they not?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill
20 January 2014, 04:23
sandyhunter
The Witness slide cracking issues have been in the cheaper Wonder finish models. The Elite Match has not had any such troubles and shoots like a gun costing twice as much.

If you're looking for serious 10mm ammo, Underwood ammo (www.underwoodammo.com) is the way to go. It easily reaches the claimed velocities (unlike much of the overpriced stuff from Double Tap) and is accurate and affordable. What more could one want?
01 February 2014, 04:28
cottonstalk
Its not on your list but a Colt Delta elite in 10mm is a pretty nice gun and if you shop around they can be had at a good price. My father in law has one that's just awesome.

For me I have never had a glock shoot to its sights. They have been accurate just couldn't get the sights to where the bullets were hitting.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
02 July 2014, 22:43
376steyr
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

Kimber has more accuracy, better trigger, better sights. Glock handles recoil better due to wider grip, Safe Action trigger compared to 1911 target trigger, no comparision. More support for rounds with Kimber, if this matters. Out in the woods, not much brass recovery, so bulged brass wouldn't be an issue. 2 inches at 25 yards no problem with Kimber. Cast or JHP both work just fine in Kimber. One other thing, use of hard cast bullets in Glock, keep it clean after each use or just get an after market barrel. I use a Lone Wolf standard barrel for my G20SF range gun which uses lots of 200 grain cast bullets.
The last slight irritation is pointability. The Glocks point high and I have to slightly break my wrist to get sight alignment, compared to 1911 grip frame. Muscle memory is tricky, learning new tricks takes some time. This may be why I have never reached the accuracy potential of the Glock that others report.
28 July 2014, 06:39
Stockbroker
A bit off the beginning thread, but might be of interest in the Glock 20 realm: Great fun with mine with longer Lone Wolf .38 Super barrel.
Drop in, OEM spring, same mags. Might be worth the thought for anyone that likes the .38 Super
28 July 2014, 15:35
Whitworth
quote:
Originally posted by Stockbroker:
A bit off the beginning thread, but might be of interest in the Glock 20 realm: Great fun with mine with longer Lone Wolf .38 Super barrel.
Drop in, OEM spring, same mags. Might be worth the thought for anyone that likes the .38 Super

I have been testing a Glock 20 for the last couple of months and have had some fun with it. Even shot a wild hog with it.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"
30 July 2014, 08:04
richj
I'm amazed at the accuracy, softer felt recoil and a stock 3.5# trigger of the Tanfoglio.
03 August 2014, 02:49
new_guy
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I have been testing a Glock 20 for the last couple of months and have had some fun with it. Even shot a wild hog with it.

Let me know when you need ammo. We recently bought a collection that had A LOT of 10mm ammo in it!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947
03 August 2014, 14:13
jwp475
What do you have?

- Winston Churchill
04 August 2014, 01:19
new_guy
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
What do you have?

I'll have to put together a list, but it was north of 5,000 rounds of factory ammo.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947
04 August 2014, 01:30
jwp475
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
What do you have?

I'll have to put together a list, but it was north of 5,000 rounds of factory ammo.

More interested in bullet weight and type of bullet.

- Winston Churchill
05 August 2014, 21:47
drewhenrytnt
Count me in. I am always looking for 10mm ammo.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club