New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two new 41 Magnums
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First NIB with all paper work is a 657 no dash 4 inch. This revolvers will not be fired by me. It is older than me. I can’t bring myself to defile her. It will be my pleasure to keep her pure for the next owner.

The second revolver on my knee is a 57 which has been over stamped 4inch, 41 magnum in Nickel. This is my first Nickel revolver. Pinned and recessed of course. This is a 3T revolver if you care about that. This revolver had just enough use that I will shoot it. I will add better pictures of her after a Balistal bath. Model 57-1 were introduced in 1981 without recessed cylinders or pinned barrels. This revolver clearly had a pinned barrel and recessed cylinders. Also, the nickel 57s were first discontinued in 1986.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sweet guns. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can click on the pictures for a large in focus view.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did they make a model 357PD or night guard? I don't want a 44 mag. Might have to settle for the 325 NG or PD. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, they did do the 357 scandium frame 41 mag. Like all the 3 models even I would not want to shoot it with true blur loads. But no one else had to be me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

She is back from the spa and ready for a hot date. Click to see larger. This is the nickel 57 over stamped -2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 57 is not a dash 2 it is an over-stamped no dash.

The 57 was introduced in 64. The other N frames already had Number Model numbers, so in 1981 when all others went to Number-3., the 57 went to 57-1! The Other N frame Magnums kept pinned and recessed cylinders up until 1981 when the -2 became -3. The 57 lost these features at -1 in 1981.

The Nickel 57s were discontinued in 1986!.

Sorry about the late post. This revolver has me reading and insomnia running.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
LH, from what I have read, I assume that you are not just showing off some fine S+Ws + they are but possibly an interest in sales. If so, prices would be nice.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC, Oh no. I just got these. I did not mean to imply selling. I have a categorical mind and describe things by walking through the category of what they are.

When I was in elementary school I first wanted to be a biologist because I loved the reading and assignment if things by category. I switched to law in the 4th grade because I quickly learned all hard sciences had to much math.

I almost never sale anything that I buy for me.

I got my eye on something fairly special. We will now in about 5 days if I will have it to share.

I hope so bc there is a lot to break down with that example.

To square the circle. The nickel revolver here by serial number was manufactured between 1975-1980.

If looking at 57s and you wonder why dash1 and dash2 revolvers are not pinned and recessed like the 27 and 29s, it is because the 57 Dash-1 was introduced in 1981 when the 27 and 29 being introduced in Number Model in 1957 became the Dash3. The 57 was introduced in 1964. 1981 is the year pinned and recessed was done away by Smith and Wesson. I could tell more, but I am saving it for the next 57, I am angling for.

The interesting thing about my 57 Nickel is it is a no dash 57. However, it got stamped 57-2 and a 0 was stamped over the -2.

posted Hide Post
Is your model 657 a square or round butt? For something that supposedly didn't sell well, S&W produced numerous variations.

.....fortunate son

Posts: 20 | Location: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: 15 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Square.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I finally found a 4 inch 57 in Nickel with case in 2005. I had been looking for one for many years. The 4 inch is not easy to find and in nickel even harder. Enjoy your revolver! It was the first one I had seen in person and I started collecting Smith's in the mid 70's.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id like to find a S&W mod 57 6" 41 just for a shooter and pack in the back country.."outside condition" is of no concern if the gun is tight and the barrel is good and the price is right..Even a 44 would suit me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 57 nickel, ported w/ 8 3/8" bbl. I would like to find another 4"' or 6"

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
love .41 mag, have 2 a s&w57 6' from 1965 and a ruger blackhawk 6 1/2"

Posts: 318 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 41 mag pistols .They are
My favorite revolvers .The model 57 is a 6 inch blued model.The other 41 mag is a 6.5 inch barrel ruger black hawk .It kicks way worse than the model 57 lighter barrel .I trust them for deer and black bear .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KWard doesn't that 6' barrel lose a bit of velocity? Be well, Packy.

posted Hide Post
I like the 57s. Had one and in a moment of weakness traded it on another "gotahave". Currently have two oddball 41s - both 2.5" - Charter Mag Pug and Taurus Titanium Tracker. These little guns generate some surprising velocities with Factory Ammo

Labradar Muzzle vel (Tems 35 - 55 Deg F)

180gr barnes XPB ........... 1,195 fps
210gr fed A-frame .......... 1,191 fps
230gr underwood SWC ........ 1,263 fps
250gr Grizzly WFNGC ........ 1,169 fps
215gr SWC HiTech 5.0gr WST .. 755 fps

Above from Charter Arms - Taurus runs about 30 fps slower

Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Charter Arms Pug in 44 spl. + love it. I was not aware that they offered one in 41 Mag. I'll bet that is a thumper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
230gr underwood SWC ........ 1,263 fps
250gr Grizzly WFNGC ........ 1,169 fps

Wow

Don't think I would like shooting them in those small guns.

My 27oz tracker is bad enough.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have the Charter Arms Pug in 44 spl. + love it. I was not aware that they offered one in 41 Mag. I'll bet that is a thumper.

That’s one on the list!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, even with the recoil factor, I'm intrigued.

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
Ray, I've got to agree with you about a hunting hand gun. Mine is a 6" M57 dash-1, blued.
I got it at a price because none of the previos owner could get it sighted in.
None of them looked down the barrel from the front, lol, guessing that it wasn't safe.
The barrel had started to unscrew! A quick trip to S&W, a few minutes in the shop, and I am a very happy camper. I'd probably never sell it!
Mine resides in a Diamond D holster, with a "drop." It hangs a little lower than the belt-line, and is just fine for out hunting, though this heavy a gun means that you're not carrying a rifle. It's enough handgun for any hunting in the western hemisphere.

Packy-I am not clear whether you cast, but if you do, you might look into Accurate Molds as they have heavy semi-wadcutters, heavy flat-nose, and wadcutters. Good luck.

Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gene, I have beaucoup molds from RCBS, Lyman, Hennsley + Gibbs, + a few customs that I bought from Veral Smith (who I am not sure is even still around). I have been using the 210 G. Keith but I would like to see what they have available. Do you have a contact for Accurate Molds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So for interest, I just saw a pair of model 57s on Texasguntrader.com in the Austin area. A boxed set of 2-4". One blue from 1973 + one nickel from 1983. He's asking $3800.00 for the pair but will split them. I have no dog in this fight; just passing along info to those interested. The pics look good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one in my early days with DEA, it was easy to hide and easy to carry stuck in my waistband with a couple of rubber bands around the top of the grip...It also tore gobs of bloody flesh from my hand and surrounding digets!!! Yep, I traded it off for a Walther .380 as I recall!! BOOM

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote