THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    American Hunter First Look new Ruger .454 and .480
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Hunter First Look new Ruger .454 and .480
 Login/Join

posted
Ruger has finally listened to big bore revolver fans and is now offering a Bisley Super Blackhawk in the .454Casull and .480Ruger chamberings!!! Both guns will have five shot cylinders of Carpenter Custom 465 stainless steel with recessed case heads. They will have 6½" barrels and the long ejector from the 10" Super Blackhawk and Hunter models. They are a distributor special, only available only through Lipsey's. Read more about it below:

http://www.americanhunter.org/...er-super-blackhawks/

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanHunter?fref=ts

One of Us
Picture of r_p_narramore
posted Hide Post
Came here to post this. That .480 sounds nice.
http://ruger.com/products/newM...ckhawkDE/models.html

Posts: 53 | Location: Eastern KY | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I tested both models rather thoroughly and am impressed overall. Both are very accurate.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the street price will be?

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The cylinders are a tad bit longer than standard..." Max: What is the length of the cylinder?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic review on Gun Blast. Looks like a very good revolver at a decent price once the mad rush is over to see who can buy the first one's. My best guess is they will settle in at around $800 after thy been out for a month or two.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobmn:
"The cylinders are a tad bit longer than standard..." Max: What is the length of the cylinder?

60 - 70 thousandths -- but to the rear to accommodate the counter boring.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LovesLevers:
Fantastic review on Gun Blast. Looks like a very good revolver at a decent price once the mad rush is over to see who can buy the first one's. My best guess is they will settle in at around $800 after thy been out for a month or two.

Didn't take that long. A bunch of them on Gunbroker now, and some have sold for $729

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They look rather spectacular.

I bet they are ouchy in the 454 at full house loads.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see several 454s but no 480s yet.

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
They look rather spectacular.

I bet they are ouchy in the 454 at full house loads.

A bit..... Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't you the one that wrote the book on big bore revolvers?

Maybe two books? I can't remember, but I think I have them both in my library, as well as Keith's book, and Taffin's book.

Good reading all!

Do you reckon they will build 500 JHR/Lindbaugh or other?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aren't you the one that wrote the book on big bore revolvers?

Maybe two books? I can't remember, but I think I have them both in my library, as well as Keith's book, and Taffin's book.

Good reading all!

Do you reckon they will build 500 JHR/Lindbaugh or other?

Guilty as charged! Thanks for the kind words!

I wouldn't look to Ruger to build anything bigger in the near future. Took them a long time to actually go down this road.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read both of them cover to cover a couple of times.

You are the reason I got into big bore handguns. I hate you, but just a little bit!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have read both of them cover to cover a couple of times.

You are the reason I got into big bore handguns. I hate you, but just a little bit!

Haha! Misery loves company! Glad to have you in the fold!

I'm actually in the process of writing book number three.....

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not in .475 Linebaugh as well?

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left: A few possible reasons. The cylinder length is 1.78" according to the review on www.gunblast.com. SAAMI specifications on overall cartridge length of the 480 Ruger is 1.650" and the 475 Linebaugh is 1.765" which equates to less possible margin if bullets jump the grip before it ties up the cylinder. The maximum average pressure is 48,000 psi for the 480 Ruger and 50,000 psi for the 473 Linebaugh. In the past Ruger had an issue with brass sticking in the cylinder of the 480 Ruger Super Redhawk. The last reason may be that the Hornady website shows 475 Linebaugh suspended but 480 Ruger ammunition as available.

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Errr...I bought a 5.5" Ruger Bisley 45 Colt/45 ACP Convertible a couple of months ago, now they bring out these to join my other various BH, SBH, RH & SRHs. I would have waited. Ruger you are going to suck my future retirement fund dry! On the other hand, it's about time Cool!

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefteris Vassiliadis:
Why not in .475 Linebaugh as well?

The .480 makes sense as it is actually Ruger's cartridge. Having owned and hunted with a number of .475 Linebaughs, the .480 really isn't giving up much.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of mr.pepper
posted Hide Post
Even though I have the 480 SRH I still want one of these.

''People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path.''

Posts: 184 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Is the .454 still that stout compared to .480 or others? I've always liked it.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It and the .45 Colt, properly loaded, are both stout rounds.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Took my new Ruger Super Blackhawks in .480 Ruger and .454 Casull for a spin in North Carolina a few weeks ago, and got lucky......

There's pork in the freezer......

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and got lucky

You got laid, or you shot something???
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope they haven't handicapped the 454 with smaller than caliber cylinder mouths the way they do all the 45 Colt guns. Anyone have a chance to set gage pins in the cylinder mouths yet?

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I sure hope they haven't handicapped the 454 with smaller than caliber cylinder mouths the way they do all the 45 Colt guns. Anyone have a chance to set gage pins in the cylinder mouths yet?

Andy B

I haven't measured mine yet, but it shoots everything I have fed it well. Shot this five-shot group at 50 yards with Double Tap's 360 grain .45 Colt +P load. I am very happy with the accuracy.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
What optics do you have on that gun Whitworth?
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
A red dot -- Ultradot 4 -- no magnification.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm! That second photo of yours with the BIG hog makes the red dot look pretty large. Perhaps it is the Ultra Dot 4? Tried any reflex sights?
peter

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Hmmm! That second photo of yours with the BIG hog makes the red dot look pretty large. Perhaps it is the Ultra Dot 4? Tried any reflex sights?
peter

Peter, that's an Ultradot 4. They're a bit on the big side but they're not heavy and they're tough. I'm in the process of testing a JPoint reflexive site, but even the smallest MOA dot is pretty big with that one.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max, you sure have cost me money. A friend recommended your Big-Bore Revolvers book, which is excellent and I've read it through twice. Then I picked up a FA .454 Casull at auction. I handload, so I have a couple boxes each of interesting, exciting, and Katy-bar-the-door rounds. I'm not getting younger and have some hand arthritis, but those Pro-Aim gloves you recommend are wonderful.

I read your review of the the new Ruger and loved its looks. I'd already broken my rule of no new cartridges for the reloading/supply chain with the FA, so I found one for $729. I enjoy it so much, I'd almost look for the .480 Ruger version, but I really shouldn't add yet another cartridge! I usually shoot autoloaders, typically the 1911. But if I'm going to shoot a revolver, it might as well be a serious revolver.

Thanks for a great book and the review on the Ruger SBH, sir.

Posts: 110 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by England:
Max, you sure have cost me money. A friend recommended your Big-Bore Revolvers book, which is excellent and I've read it through twice. Then I picked up a FA .454 Casull at auction. I handload, so I have a couple boxes each of interesting, exciting, and Katy-bar-the-door rounds. I'm not getting younger and have some hand arthritis, but those Pro-Aim gloves you recommend are wonderful.

I read your review of the the new Ruger and loved its looks. I'd already broken my rule of no new cartridges for the reloading/supply chain with the FA, so I found one for $729. I enjoy it so much, I'd almost look for the .480 Ruger version, but I really shouldn't add yet another cartridge! I usually shoot autoloaders, typically the 1911. But if I'm going to shoot a revolver, it might as well be a serious revolver.

Thanks for a great book and the review on the Ruger SBH, sir.

And thank you for the kind words! They're much appreciated! I think a .480 SBH is in your future..... Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, a five-shot Blackhawk in .480! Never thought I would see the day!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Max, I am going to have to look up the Pro-Aim gloves that England mentioned, as I am in the same boat.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Max, I am going to have to look up the Pro-Aim gloves that England mentioned, as I am in the same boat.

Bill, they are well worth it. I have had mine for years and I finally split a seem while testing the .480 Ruger SBH. However, they are fixable.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any chance you know what the cylinder gap is?

I have a BlackHawk Hunter 45Colt and it is around .010". My model 83 is less than .0015"

Wanna guess which one shoots better? :-)

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TNT, wanna guess which one is LESS reliable? I have Rugers and FA's...plenty of both and plenty of full custom revolvers. The .0015 tolerance is best suited for target revolvers and not serious hunting revolvers. Just a speck of dirt or a granule of powder can and will tie up the cylinder on that near zero tolerance bbl/cyl gap. Ruger could make that tolerance much smaller if they wanted too..but they don't because they want reliability over extreme accuracy...you know, the kind of extreme accuracy 99% of handgunners can't utilize anyway. No hunting revolver needs to shoot one hole groups at 25 yards. Yep, nice but not necessary...and it helps in marketing them FA's at 2K+. Who wouldn't be impressed?

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Any chance you know what the cylinder gap is?

I have a BlackHawk Hunter 45Colt and it is around .010". My model 83 is less than .0015"

Wanna guess which one shoots better? :-)

I will measure the cylinder gap. That said, my .454 FA83 shoots well, but my SBH in .454 will shoot circles around it. I too feel that Rugers make for better field revolvers than FAs. Plus, you can safely carry them with a full cylinder.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
How's the recoil on that 480?

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRx:
How's the recoil on that 480?

It's not so bad with some loads like the 325 grain loads from Speer and Hornady. Recoil is fairly "lively" with the 370 and 410 grain Buffalo Bore loads. These revolvers are pretty light.

Semper Fidelis