THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Help with low recoil loads for 300 gr 44 Mag & 2400

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with low recoil loads for 300 gr 44 Mag & 2400
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm working up some loads for my 329PD and need some recommended ranges for Cast Performance 300 gr WFNGC and Alliant 2400.

I don't have any load data and want to stay away from max, but want to make sure I'm above minimum recommended load.

I'm going for 1,000 - 1,100 fps.

I got some good data on the 240 gr Hornadys I'm working up - going to try 17/17.5/18 gr of 2400 there.

Any help would be appreciated.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
What do you plan to do with the load? Hunt, animal defense?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess my first question would be why so heavy a bullet if you are looking for low recoil... I've shot two friend's 329s and had a 357/.41 Magnum and they are not pleasant guns to shoot...

Second would be choice of powder. Have always found that unless "pushed" 2400 leaves a lot of unburned powder. Would suggest something a little faster burning like Unique or Blue Dot for mid-range loads.

If it were me I'd look at a 250/260 Keith or 280 LBT with 9-10 grains of Unique... That should put you in the velocity range you are looking for and won't loose much penetration over the 300 with a lot less recoil....

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for something between 44 special and 44 Mag power level in a self defense round and a bear round in my 329PD.

On the self-defense round, I have Hornady factory 180 gr XTP in 44 Special that I use. SUPER Easy to shoot, but would like something stouter. The Hornady factory 240 gr XTP in 44 Mag is not something I want to shoot. The 180gr load is around 1,000 fps; the 240 gr load around 1,350 fps. If I can get the 240 gr around 1,000-1,100 fps that should be fine.

On the hardcast loads, I have a 44 Special 260 gr Grizzly factory at 950 fps that is easy to shoot. For the 44 Mag, I've tried the Buffalo Bore low recoil 255 gr Keith at 1,350 and the HSM 305 gr Bear Load at 1,260 fps. Neither one is manageable.

The reason I bought the 329PD is that I wanted something light to carry. I have a double stack 1911 in 10mm with a 6" barrel that I can lay down pain with all day long with Double Tap loads, but that's a damn heavy gun. The good thing is that when empty, I can use as a club.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can give you a great SD round...as for the 2-legged type of vermin...

Using a .44 Magnum case, Speer 200 grain Gold Dot HP with 10.0 grains of Winchester 231/HP38. Runs just short of 1100 fps and is very controllable.

The load duplicates the no longer available .44 Magnum Speer 200 grain Gold Dot SD loading. For using other powders look in the Speer #14 Manual. Nice thing about that bullet run at that velocity is it ALWAYS expands. I used that load exclusively in a S&W 629 MG and my friend used it in his 329.

As to a bear load, again I would suggest a 250-280 run at 1100 fps with a faster burning powder like Unique or Blue Dot... That is going to be the least amount of recoil with still getting the penetration you want...

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks - looked at the 260 gr Cast Performance and the 280 gr AFrame. Read some folks running bear loads with the 280 gr Aframe at around 1,100.

Which of the two bullets above do you like?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm working up a load for the Wife and her 329. Starting loads of 231 with 240 (Lyman mold) SWC bullets. Going to try to work her up to a hard cast, 240 to 260, in the 1000 to 1100 fps range.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8grs of herco a 315gr HWFN 44mag at 1000fps is nice penetrates like crazy.

Any load with a 240gr around a 1000 to 1200 are nice to shoot.

I load a 240 cast load at 950 for playing very easy to shoot.

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a bear with one if needed.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go the CP 260...larger meplat and the A-Frame is unlikely to expand at that low a velocity...and they are EXPENSIVE!! GREAT hunting bullet however if pushed at full velocity..

For a jacketed bullet, look at the Speer .44s...they have them in Soft point that probably won't expand either from 240-270 grains...

https://www.speer-ammo.com/pro...ed_skucaliber_s=.429

GT Bullets also makes a great line of bullets for low prices...the 280 Keith would work real well as a penetrator....

http://www.gtbullets.com/index...n_page=index&cPath=8

The 190 cast HP would also work in place of the Speer 200....

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The Speer 270 gr Deep Curls looking interesting!

I got my 240 gr XTP loaded up with 2400 at 17, 17.5, and 18 grs. Going to shoot some of each. If controllable, will increase. And do 18.5, 19, 19.5. The factory 240 gr XTP from Hornady at 1,500 fps brutal in a 329PD. I think 1,250-1,300 should be optimal.

Then onto the bigger bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you chrongraphing them it is the only sure way to tell.

Muzzle flash and recoil is a poor indicator.

I have found faster powders give the best lower mid range velocity.

Never had much luck with 2400.

posted Hide Post
A 240 grain cast SWC traveling 750 fps from my 3" 624 got me around 21" of penetration in wet newsprint. I have yet to recover a bullet from a whitetail using this load on shoulder shots.

I would suspect the same bullet traveling at 1,000 to 1,100 fps would be effective and a pleasure to shoot from your revolver. And at a diameter of 0.430" plus or minus, I consider it pre-expanded.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Grizzly makes a 260gr hardcast load at 950 fps. Easy to shoot, but would not even shoot thru a derelict plasma TV at 5 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://alliantpowder.com/products/default.aspx

They have 2400 load with a 300 gr. jacketed bullet

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
http://alliantpowder.com/products/default.aspx

They have 2400 load with a 300 gr. jacketed bullet

I went with test loads of 15.0 and 15.5 gr of 2400 for the 300 gr hard cast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grizzly makes a 260gr hardcast load at 950 fps. Easy to shoot, but would not even shoot thru a derelict plasma TV at 5 yards.

TV's are not flesh and blood shooting them have no relationship to shooting animals.

I personally have shot a 250 bear with a 315 gr hard cast 44 at 960. The bullet had no problem completely penetrating side to side.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

TV's are not flesh and blood shooting them have no relationship to shooting animals.

I personally have shot a 250 bear with a 315 gr hard cast 44 at 960. The bullet had no problem completely penetrating side to side.

you are correct, but it was on hand at the ranch dump. I was surprised the 260 gr hard cast would not penetration from 5 yards. And it mushroomed the 180 gr XTPs flat. Going to try some hogs and since we shoot so many, I might as well use some of the carcasses.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Got back from shooting this weekend.

Run 3 bullets: 240 Gr XTP, 280 gr Aframe, and 300 gr Cast Performance. All with 2400.

All loads were accurate and controllable, a few pretty snappy, but not bad. All well above 44 special, but below 44 mag full power loads.

Going to load up another set with .5 and 1.0 gr increments next. Once I settle on a good, accurate controllable load I will chrony.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your well on the way.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Sounds like your well on the way.

BTW - very easy cartridge to reload!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW - very easy cartridge to reload!

As are most center fire rimmed revolver cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Well, finally finished up earlier this year. Didn't realize I started so long ago! Over a year ago!

These are the loads I settled on. Good accuracy, recoverable recoil.

Alliant 2400, CCI #300, Starline brass, 1.585", 4.25" barrel 329PD

240 gr Hornady XTP 18.0 gr 1,060 fps
300 gr Cast Performance 16.0 gr 1,080 fps

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I was thinking you could just send that hard kicking gun to me and I will deal with it. And I might even split the shipping with you. But I think you now have a handle on the 329. If someone wants to sell one in 45 LC or 45 ACP let me know by PM. An NG or PD either one. Good luck and Be Well, Packy.

Picture of Gary D. Peek
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got it handled............

JMHO-YMMV

dd884

Posts: 2 | Location: Avery, Texas | Registered: 18 June 2020Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as others have said, 2400 is likely not the optimum powder for this goal. unique or power pistol may be better

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote