THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Meplat size % of bullet diameter
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meplat size % of bullet diameter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Comparing a 500 Linebaugh 450 gr ( Keith style ?? ) to the 480 Ruger , Accurate Mold 480/380V . .344 meplat compared to .396 meplat.
If both leave the muzzle at 1200-1300 fps , the 380V looks like it would Hit harder.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will admit that the 500 L. Makes the 480 R. Look kinda puny . But, perhaps looks can be deceiving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick either one into the vitals' and you well have a dead critter.

If I had a choice I would take the wider meplat

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the 380V is accurate in my gun then that mold will probably be one that I get along with the 400 gr Lee mold.
Lots to try, lots to learn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Got to go shooting with a friend with his hunting revolver last evening . What a lovely gun it is too. My pics do not do it any justice.
500 Linebaugh by John Linebaugh, color case by Doug Turnbull, Dall Sheep grips by Clerance Catledge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote