Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a new holster
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,

I bought a S&W 25-5 from a fellow on another forum and i'm looking for a holster for it. I have holsters from Mernickle and really do like them quite a bit. I'm torn between a chest holster and a traditional strong side belt carry. I find that the chest holster I have for my 10MM is more comfortable when hiking with a pack or riding in the side by side or truck. It doesn't bang against my rifle when hunting either. Not to mention it's easily accessed while sitting or standing. I'm leaning heavily towards the Chest carry for that reason. The gun is the 6.5" model(wish it were a 4") so that is the other reason i'm thinking of the chest rig.

I've looked at Galco and actually have several of their holsters for my 1911s and other auto pistols. I mostly have Mernickle for the single actions.

What other holsters are out there besides Mernickle and El Paso Saddlery?

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check Diamond D.
https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com
First quality. I had a Guides Choice Chest Holster for an Xframe.
Now have one for my NFrame 6" comfortable, out of way, easy access.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Those look well made + a chest holster is definitely a boon when backpacking. When I did a lot of backpacking in the early 70s, I had a Kelty D4 pack that I made a holster myself to fit on the waist strap. We have a lot more to choose from these days, thank goodness.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Diamond D fan as well. In the Guide's Choice I have one for a Dan Wesson 8V. Fits like a glove and is comfortable after 8 hours. The Wife has one for her 329 that she lets me carry from time to time. Other than the bulk, I don't even notice it.

If you want something other than leather, They make nylon chest holsters. I recently picked one up for a RSRH and I'm liking it so far. Nice people to deal with! While I was there I told the counter person I was looking forward to getting the nylon one for a 4" S&W 500. He said not to; get the leather rig instead for that gun.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a chest rig myself.

Seat belt webbing a free uncle mikes nylon belt holster a few buckles.

Have less then 5 dollars in it works well.

Go to most any salvage yard and ask them if you can cut some webbing out. For a holster project.

Most well say yes just have it. It is a good way to get into a friendly conversation with them.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty nice looking holster. Might give them a try.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Diamond D for me as well. I have two. Love them! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought this might help in making your decision.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I might as well give my .02.
I have two Diamond D's that make me happy.
One is a strong-side for a 4" N-frame, the other a strong-side with drop for a 6" N-frame.
They are comfortabe and easy to draw, but secure.
Maybe, not so much in a side-by-side, though.
In a pickup, on horseback and walking...doing good.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can also check out the Chesty Puller rig from simplyrugged.com. I use it with several different holsters depending on what I’m doing.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, that Diamond D is sure nice work! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, that Diamond D is sure nice work!

Yep, they're well worth the money. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
You can also check out the Chesty Puller rig from simplyrugged.com. I use it with several different holsters depending on what I’m doing.

I forgot about Simply Rugged. They make a nice holster as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome work! Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote