THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Anyone have good loads for 375JDJ

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have good loads for 375JDJ
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day
Anyone have any good loads for the 375JDJ. I just got my new license to own and possess firearms(new canada rules) so I took my Contender to the range today.One load recomended to me was 44.9 grains H322. The groups I got were about 3" at 100 yds and 5 at 200. That's 3x larger than my 7mmTCU so I wasn't all that impressed. I'm off to try it in RSA in 5 weeks so I'm anxious to find a goo load.
Thanks in advance
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I use AA2520 for my 375JDJ. I can't remember the exact charge but I will look it up once I get home tonight. What bullet are you using? I stick with the 270gr Hornady SP for all that I shoot. Works great on dear elk and bear. Played with the 300 Nosler PT but the results were not so good.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I forgot to mention that I was using Hornady 270grain bullets.
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
52.0gr AA 2520 behind a 270gr Hornady SP. Gives 2060fps and 1-1.5" groups. I load base of bullet even with base of the neck. This is a max load so work up to it.

I once played with H-322 but best accuracy was at a reduced load. In my gun AA 2520 gives best accuracy at a max load so I am sticking it as my powder.

Hope this helps. The 270 should do well on plains game but I would switch to a solid if going after any DG.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 52 grains Varget with the 270 SP. I get 2000 fps with a 14" Hunter rechambered by Bellm to .375 JDJ (effective barrel length is 12 7/8"). This penetrated an Alaska moose on a chest shot for me.
J.D. Jones lists 53.5 gr. as max in his barrels with a velocity of 2170 or so, but my velocity indicates I am at approaching max in mine and I don't like to push things if I don't have to.
I am sure you are aware to start well under these and work up checking for pressure signs.
Good luck,
Rob
BTW, Varget is a Hodgdon Extreme powder so it shouldn't change POI if weather conditions are cooler or hotter where you will be hunting.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 05-16-2001).]

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote