THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Having Hand and Wrist Surgery - Recoil Question

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having Hand and Wrist Surgery - Recoil Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
A week from Friday I'm having my CMC joint (small joint at base of thumb) replace and a couple of cysts removed from my wrist. Once I'm healed up, I'd like to start doing some shooting again, but I'm guessing that shooting full power 45 colt and 44 mags is going to be out of the question going forward.

I'm thinking that a .357 mag might be a decent replacement. In similar sized guns, what would typically be the recoil comparison between say, a .44 mag loaded with 240's versus a .357 loaded with 170's? I've never shot a .357 before, but I'm guessing it should be significantly less?

Posts: 808 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like any gun, an awful lot depends on weight and design of the the gun. All other factors being equal, the 357 is a generally a substantially less recoiling round.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tal, you'll definitely reduce the recoil foot-poumds going to a .357 over a .44 Magnum, but standard velocity .45 Colts or .44 Specials will be even more pleasant and still do useful work. I personally have no use for a .357. I find the sharp recoil and ear-splitting report a poor bargain for the middling power level; you can attentuate this somewhat by going to a heavier revolver, but why?
Wish you the best on your surgery -- and a Merry Christmas to boot.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the 357 you have the option to use 38 special cartridges. The wadcutter loads, in a full sized revolver, are barely above a 22 recoil level. A good way to work back up to heavier loads.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had the exact same surgery scheduled for jan 3rd, now rescheduled for jan 23. mine involves shaving the bone and placing tendon taken from wrist in the space created. two weeks in a soft cast and 6 in a hard cast. luckily its on my left side as i am right handed. i have worn a hand brace for 2 years and gotten i don't know how many cortosone shots. good luck with urs.

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, good luck to both of you gentlemen.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pain well tell you want not to do.

Start small light recoil rounds and work up.

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once had seriously sprained my wrist [no break ] It took 6 months before things worked properly again . The problem was the nerves .When firing a shot the recoil made the muscles contract and complete a perfect fast double !
some time later I broke a bone in my off hand but muscle or nerve damage .While in the cast I exercize
Repair would be slower now because of age.ed repeating tensing of the muscles numerous times per day to prevent atrophy - it worked ! When the cast came off my hand was back to normal in jus a few days.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I had carpal tunnel surgery 22 years+ ago. Two years later I was shooting lots of 45 ACP to prepare for competition. My 44 mag was not tolerable at first but 45 Colt was OK soon after. Defensive tactics at work were hell but I wasn't going to acknowledge it in front of other corrections officers. Hope you have a speedy recovery and do all you can in rehab. Packy

posted Hide Post
8.0 of HP-38 with a 255 grain cast bullet in a .45 Colt gives 950 fps and is both effective as well as pleasant to shoot. You may want to look at cowboy loads for the .44 Mag. You don't always have to launch those bullets at warp speed for them to be effective.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
A week from Friday I'm having my CMC joint (small joint at base of thumb) replace and a couple of cysts removed from my wrist. Once I'm healed up, I'd like to start doing some shooting again, but I'm guessing that shooting full power 45 colt and 44 mags is going to be out of the question going forward.

I'm thinking that a .357 mag might be a decent replacement. In similar sized guns, what would typically be the recoil comparison between say, a .44 mag loaded with 240's versus a .357 loaded with 170's? I've never shot a .357 before, but I'm guessing it should be significantly less?

My wife is a hand surgeon. Would you like me to ask her what she thinks?

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have big hands and can't shoot Bill Rugers
tiny grips. Had a pair of big walnut set made.
Still lots of sting.
Ended up finding some Hogue rubber grips in a junk box at the leather store. Best thing I've found for taming the big stuff.
You might get a set of them and see if they'll help.

Good luck with the surgery, don't get in a rush trying to do things you shouldn't.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. The surgery went well yesterday. Fingers crossed I’m shooting by summer!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Glad the surgery went well, and hope your recovery is speedy and complete. Have a great New Year.
beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Tal, you'll definitely reduce the recoil foot-poumds going to a .357 over a .44 Magnum, but standard velocity .45 Colts or .44 Specials will be even more pleasant and still do useful work. I personally have no use for a .357. I find the sharp recoil and ear-splitting report a poor bargain for the middling power level; you can attentuate this somewhat by going to a heavier revolver, but why?

I have to agree with Bill on his advice of the 44 special. My wife had both hands operated on for arthritis took a while but she was back to full use in no time at all. 44 specials are a lot nicer (more comfortable) shooting than .357 . Good Luck too both of you.

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great, now just take it easy til
it's healed up well before trying to get
back to doing things.

I had a R knee replaced Oct 22nd. Second week I screwed up twice. First, slipped off the wheel chair seat, folded that leg til the heel was against my butt. Felt things popping in there. I really expected to bust the scar wide open.

Within two days I tried to step up with that leg being confused which to use. Wrong one of course and couldn't stop myself from going all the way down again. More popping.

At 6-7 weeks, had a big slab of bone popping out from under the kneecap when I stood up. When I sat down, it bound the joint until I pressed it back into place. Damn that hurt popping back over a high spot.
Dr said: "More PT". I sure don't believe more PT will fix it.

It's getting better, still does it, but, seems a lot smaller than it was and lower down the knee. Now it pops back in on it's own when the leg is bent far enough. Anyone watching can see it move.

Can't see the dr til the 9th. Might be over it by then. Should have been at two months. Most people are.

Wish you the best with that hand.
and a great New Year.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had an open reduction of my left lunate, or in layman’s terms dislocated my left wrist and lots of internal to pull it all back together. Shoot left handed so was quite a trauma. Post suregery I got lots of physio, even whilst still in plaster. Made a huge difference. Had to relearn how to shoot with it as it took a long while for the nerves to settle down - pretty much could only feel in black and white and 15 years on can’t control a very light trigger as feeling not sensitive enough. I need a 4lb trigger and on a squeeze basis not knowing when the gun will fire - having learnt to shoot on a no 4 Lee Enfield helped.

Recoil - now can manage reasonable levels. 12 bore with heavy loads is OK for a few shots but mostly keep to 1oz loads. Rifle with 7x57 no issue. Much higher and keep shot numbers low.

Don’t shoot a handgun much. But was shooting a 357 mag S&W target model and found nice and smooth and nice than a Glock 10mm.

I think the key is try and avoid snappy recoil, long slow heavy is not so much an issue. And keep sessions short. And get it strong first and use good technique. With a rifle or shotgun use your forehand to control the recoil. Not sure if you can do so with a handgun.

Posts: 977 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give everything time to heal and then make a decision on your own! Nobody can make that decision for you..In the meantime shoot a 22..I had a hand all but rebuilt and couldn't shoot a 30-30, a few years later Im shooting a 338 Win and I can probably shoot a 416 but see no need to find out.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't believe that p dog shooter doesn't have the best advice, but I suppose it can't hurt to ask your surgeon and see if what he says doesn't make sense.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

I also have no use for the .357 and find it to be a violent cartridge. I enjoy shooting my .44s much more. So much so, I got rid of my Pythons. Pythons are so beautiful to me, but unpleasant to shoot and .38 just doesn’t do it for me.

I hope your healing has been going well.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just found this one again.

Still screwing around trying to get this
knee fixed. Turned out the knee cap is
dislodged. Half way out of place.

Set now for March 18th to fix it. Whenever
after that to have the Left one replaced.

This will be the 31st time since Feb ''12
being the subject in carving classes.
Gets damned tiring healing up. sure glad
I'm good at it.

Hope your hands doing well by now.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
just found this one again.

Still screwing around trying to get this
knee fixed. Turned out the knee cap is
dislodged. Half way out of place.

Set now for March 18th to fix it. Whenever
after that to have the Left one replaced.

This will be the 31st time since Feb ''12
being the subject in carving classes.
Gets damned tiring healing up. sure glad
I'm good at it.

Hope your hands doing well by now.

George

I would take Larry Shores up on his offer. He and his wife go out of their way help other AR members, and probably others too.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, good folks, I've seen that going
on here quite often.

A bit out of the way from CO though.
Am half mile from the hosp, and 2 miles
from the dr's office. half dozen trips
or more it wouldn't be practical to
make such a drive to where they are.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
It's been eight weeks since my surgery and things are healing up pretty good. I still have some radial nerve pain because of the scar tissue and swelling, but overall I'm doing well. I think I'm going to pick up a Single 7 in .327 Fed in a couple of months to celebrate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
It's been eight weeks since my surgery and things are healing up pretty good. I still have some radial nerve pain because of the scar tissue and swelling, but overall I'm doing well. I think I'm going to pick up a Single 7 in .327 Fed in a couple of months to celebrate.

Good for you! Enjoy.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been a couple of weeks. How is the PT going? Hope you have several cuties attending your PT. Get well. Packy

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Having a cute nurse has never hurt anything.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
It's getting there. Pain level while resting is almost non-existent, but my grip with my thumb is still pretty weak; 12 pounds versus 35 with my other hand. Any kind of bending back, ie. doing a push-up, is also still out. I'm done with my PT as of last week. They said I'm ahead of schedule.

One of the better strengthening exercises I've found has actually been cocking a single-action. It hits the main muscles I need to work. Being able to actually squeeze the trigger on anything bigger than a .22 is probably at least a couple of months out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear things are progressing. When I had two carpal tunnel surgeries in the mid 90s I got cleared by the doctor in august. In September I started with the department of Corrections in MO. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to love shooting hand cannons. Twenty years ago I was thrown from a horse while scouting for an elk hunt. I broke my wrist in 3 places. I've got some arthritis in my wrist now. I don't shoot the hand cannons like I used too. Guns that recoil upwards like Single-action revolvers bother me the most, it's the twisting action in my wrist that messes me up.

I can still shoot guns like Super redhawks and the .480 ruger is tolerable for me. I just don't shoot 100 rounds at a time like the old day.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talentrec how is the recovery going? Sorry you didn't have some cuties in charge of your PT. I had some really cute therapists a couple of times. Made me work even harder. Packy