THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Here is a little piggy I shot Mon.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here is a little piggy I shot Mon.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shot this little fellow Mon. using my FA 500 WE.

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
So what did that enormous slab of pork weigh?? What is the load you used? Details man, details!!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
A belted 500 JRH

What bullet did you use? How much penetration? What did the wound channel look like? How many shots?

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, here goes. The gun is a Freedom Arms in 500 Wyoming Express. The load was a 440gr cast bullet over 31.0gr H110. I recovered the bullet in the opposite shoulder and it weighed 417gr and measured .837 across. The boar dropped at a single placed high shoulder shot. He weighed 750 lbs and the tusk were right at 5" outside the gumline.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga sixgunner:
OK, here goes. The gun is a Freedom Arms in 500 Wyoming Express. The load was a 440gr cast bullet over 31.0gr H110. I recovered the bullet in the opposite shoulder and it weighed 417gr and measured .837 across. The boar dropped at a single placed high shoulder shot. He weighed 750 lbs and the tusk were right at 5" outside the gumline.

What was the bullet hardnes? Never seen a HARD cast expand like that, or was it a hard cast?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent!! Do you have more photos? Can you take a picture of the bullet? I too wonder why it expanded. Good job ga sixgunner!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Very nice hog there ga sixgunner. Them 50 cal holes sure are nice. I like the 370 and 440 gr, hard cast bullets myself.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hog, Robert. Congratulations. I see you DID find a place for nice hogs.
Ken

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Huge hog!! beer

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Maan what a trophy!

There are only a few people on the board here who really get into these pigs..this is an excellent one! Congrats

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
He is big SOB -- just wish he would have taken pictures at different angles so we could see it better.......

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
I expect Bob has several photos of the pig. How far was the shot?

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
He has provided scant details.......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

Can you say "Photo Shop".....??? Big Grin

Pure BS dancing

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I don't think so.. wave

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shot this little fellow Mon. using my FA 500 WE

Eeker

Nice hog, neighbor!
Wonder how many cases of BBQ sauce you'd need?

Smiler

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by ga sixgunner:

What was the bullet hardnes? Never seen a HARD cast expand like that, or was it a hard cast?

GA Sixgunner,

Congratulations on a nice hunt and a clean kill.

Please tell more details.... pretend you are spinning the yarn to your grandchildren.

What was the range? Was the boar standing still or (more exciting) charging? (Ok, ok, I figured it out, side to side through the shoulders, he was not charging YOU, but if he was moving, he might have been charging SOMEONE.)

On a more technical note, was the expansion due to passing through muscle or did it penetrate bone (and if so, how heavy of bone)? What kind of velocity do your 440 grainers achieve atop 31 grains of H110? And, of course, JWP's question, what is the hardness/alloy of the bullet. By the way, what is your rate of twist?

It was an instant stop. Was it a central nervous system hit, or did you break his shoulders/cut the aorta for a fast bleed out or what? Or were you able to tell?

I have a friend who is looking for an adequate bullet for bear defense in South-Central Alaska fired out of a .500 S&W with 4" barrel. Not for hunting, just defense while hiking and fishing. Your first-hand account with this boar might be illuminating.

Any details you can share would be helpful and carry great weight with him.

Again, congratulations.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
GEEZ Man, what a hog. Nice trophy. I'd bet that sucker would make tough gravy however.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know Bob and have hunted with him. I don't believe for a minute he's using PhotoShop. Bob has written several hunting stories for "The Sixgunner" and he'll tell this tale as well; just stay tuned.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking into my crystal ball and I see another argument coming down the path. Did he use Photo Shop did he not use Photo shot. Was the hog Weighed or was it guesstimated, is the shooter place to enhance the size of the hog or was he not.

Who cares he got one right. We all have the same right so the playing field is level that is all that matters.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
quote:

Pure BS dancing

Don't start anything here. It is not wanted or needed. Mad

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No photo shop here, hell I don't even know how to use it. The hog weighed 750lbs. Later today I will post more pics. In this photo I am right up against the hog.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:

Pure BS dancing

Wow, that was uncalled for...... I do know how to use photoshop and this doesn't look photoshopped at all to me. What happened to giving folks the benefit of the doubt anyhow?

That is one large slab of pork! I too would like to hear about the bullets as I have never had one expand like that (hardcast), even when bone is in their path.

Looking forward to more photos!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
More pics.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
No photoshop going on there! Man, he's huge! Now tell me what the bullet was made of. I can't make it out by the photo. I've never had a hardcast bullet expand like that. Thanks for indulging us with the additional photos!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
First off I want to say, there is no photo shop here. These are actual pictures taken when I killed this hog. He was shot Mon. May 19,2008. Thank you MS Hitman for taking up for me. The pic above shows me standing next to the hog as he was hanging from a front end loader to get him off the ground( notice my hand is touching him and my arm is NOT bent showing that I am right on top of him). We jumped the hog out of a swamp while chasing a smallish pig that we saw go in the swamp. The hog busted out of the swamp and I took chase and when the hog cleared the swamp he stopped to figure out what was coming behind him. I shot him at 32 yards when he turned broadside. It was a single shot high on the shoulder, the big monster dropped at the shot. The bullet was a 440gr. cast bullet.I have the guy cast them a little less then hard. It was recovered on the off side shield and weighed 417gr. The nose just started flattening out but did pretty good for what it went through. The revolver is a FA 500 Wyoming Express 6" barrel magnaported. It wears FA black micarta grips instead of the Pachmyers that come on it. I did not chrono the loads but they should be around 1425fps. Sorry the gentleman (and I use the term loosely) from AZ. whould accuse me of doctoring my picture.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I never for a moment doubted its authenticity. That is one very large slab of pork! Don't sweat the detractors -- they are best ignored. Unlike many, you are actually posting photos of game you have shot -- more than I can say about a lot of people on this site. Thanks for the additional details. Can you tell me who made the bullet?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ga Sixgunner,

I owe you an apology.

Your additonal photos and story certainly clarify the situation.

Sorry I jumped/reached the wrong conclusion based on the first photo.

Great Hog & Nice Shooting beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullet is cast by Sooner Reloading of Brunswick Ga. It is a father son operation and two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. The number is 912-261-8986 tell them Robert sent you. There prices are outstanding. I think its $13 for 50 bullets of 50cal 440gr. Same price for .475 bullets. I will post a photo of an Asian water buff I killed with a 475 Linebaugh.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Handgunning is the way to go. I am going more and more to handgun hunting. A lot more for than rifle hunting.

Too bad we can't use handguns in Canada.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never for a moment doubted its authenticity. That is one very large slab of pork! Don't sweat the detractors -- they are best ignored. Unlike many, you are actually posting photos of game you have shot -- more than I can say about a lot of people on this site. Thanks for the additional details. Can you tell me who made the bullet?

I never doubted it either.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
Handgunning is the way to go. I am going more and more to handgun hunting. A lot more for than rifle hunting.

Too bad we can't use handguns in Canada.

Me too. I came to that conclusion last deer season when I took a buck with a scoped rifle (low light, so I left my .475 in its holster), and I realized just how easy it is......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one huge hog!!! Where did you hunt the hog at? I would love to get a 750 lb hog.

Posts: 61 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Looks like that "little piggy" went to the market.......and ate everything "in" the market.

Great story and congrats on a very nice hog!

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pig! No photoshop there. It is just a photo angle thing in the first one. If you try to take a picture of something that big in the foreground with something that small (no offense intended, he does sort of dwarf you Smiler ) in the background, it just looks bigger optically.

That little piggy would fill the market!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Holy Krap!I need to jump in on this one!!He is freakn'Huge and with a handgun-Bravo!! I am also in Georgia(New Orleans transplant) and would love to find one like that myself,maybe this fall?!If you could direct me to your guide or outfitter,I would glad like to do some "Hogzilla Hunting"....Congrats again! Smiler

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... I missed this one the first time around.

Congratulations on the piggie of a lifetime!!!! What a MONSTER Wink

Any of us would have been tickled to death to get a whack at one like this!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
WOW What a MONSTER. Killed on May 18. Maybe by August 18 your heart rate will be back to normal. It would be Christmas before mine would slow down. Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!! clap
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2539 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote