New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Ultradot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I need an optical sight on my revolver and have seen Ultradot's recommended. I know they come out with new models from time to time and would like recommendations based on the latest models.

Thanks!

Grey Eagle

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles;they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.

Isaiah 40:31

Posts: 98 | Location: MO, USA | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
For simplicity, lightweight, and durability, it's hard to beat the Ultradot 30.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Whitworth! Do you think the Matchdot with different size dot's gives up any reliability?

Grey Eagle

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles;they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no "new models" input as my only example is the Ultra Dot 30 on my Super Redhawk 480 Ruger. It is my first exposure to red dot type sights and I couldn't be more pleased, light weight, clear, accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 376 Steyr! What is the maximum range that you're comfortable with?

Grey Eagle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376steyr:
I have no "new models" input as my only example is the Ultra Dot 30 on my Super Redhawk 480 Ruger. It is my first exposure to red dot type sights and I couldn't be more pleased, light weight, clear, accurate.

Sounds like my setup which is a Weigand SRH+ mount w/30mm UltraDot on the Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger.

I think I have the 4 MOA dot system on mine and depending on the stability of the rest and size of the kill zone of the animal, I'd feel ok out to 100 yds. but prefer 50 yds. or less as it gives me a larger margin for error.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ske1eter:
quote:
Originally posted by 376steyr:

Sounds like my setup which is a Weigand SRH+ mount w/30mm UltraDot on the Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger.

I think I have the 4 MOA dot system on mine and depending on the stability of the rest and size of the kill zone of the animal, I'd feel ok out to 100 yds. but prefer 50 yds. or less as it gives me a larger margin for error.

You know that the Ultradot 30 fits between Ruger's 30mm rings. No need for the Weigand base.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ske1eter,

What kind of rest do you use and what part of your revolver do you rest on it?

Grey Eagle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased an Ultra Dot 30 several months back for my Taurus RB and am still getting used to the
red dot sight (my first). So far, so good and I
don't expect issues. Thinking about one for my
Dan Wesson.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have been running a U.D. 30 for years, OUTSTANDING sight! Good luck.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's on the Ultradot 30!

Grey Eagle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grey Eagle:
Thanks 376 Steyr! What is the maximum range that you're comfortable with?

Nothing beyond 50 yards so far but with a rest I'm getting sub 3 inch groups with Ultradot. I normally consider my 97 yard, 12 inch steel gong a good test, with iron sights, no problem using top of a fence post as rest. 150 yards as max with revolver seems possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a crop damage deer 2 weeks ago at 91 yds. with a .416 Taylor Encore and UltraDot 30. Concentrate. It works.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr Hitman! I appreciate your feedback and respect your experience!

Grey Eagle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After owning and using both Ultradots and Burris Fast Fire III's my vote now goes to the Burris.
It is incredibly small and light weight and once mounted looks a lot "cleaner" on a handgun.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I know they're a bit bulky, but they weigh right around 4 oz and I don't think there is a red dot-type sight in existence that is as durable. I have have punished them with thousands of heavy rounds (.475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .454 Casull, .500 JRH, .500 Linebaugh, etc.) and they just keep running. I have used mine at a maximum distance of about 125 yards while hunting thus far. Just takes some practice.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thinking of trying the Ultradot HD micro on my Freedom 97 45Colt. What say you all? Recoil resistance? It has an integral mount which should work well on the TSOB mount I have for this pistol. If you have any experience with this sight, lay it on me.. Thanks. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:
Thinking of trying the Ultradot HD micro on my Freedom 97 45Colt. What say you all? Recoil resistance? It has an integral mount which should work well on the TSOB mount I have for this pistol. If you have any experience with this sight, lay it on me.. Thanks. Les

Les, I have one on a Performance Center Model 629 and it has held up without issue. I like it as it is quite compact.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allrightythen....got one coming from Midway..will give a report as soon as possible!!

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the Ultradot micro on the 97. Couple of slight issues..seems to be different than a scope in its adjustment procedure..getting it close to sighted in..grouping good, but to move the bullet impact up/down do you follow the arrows on the adjustment dial? Or opposite?..having a hard time getting it to turn off..push two buttons at the same time..my fingers are too big..made a wooden tool with two prongs to push both buttons at once..seems to work..more report will follow..Les

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Les ; have you any further report on the sight?
As I have never used any of these type sights do they always have to be turned on to use. ? That.may be a dumb question but I have absolute zero experience with them.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF, most of the "tube" type red dot sights have to be turned on to the best of my knowledge. There are some "reflex type" sights that come on when you remove the cover. My knowledge my not be current however.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold trigger finger, I haven't done any more with the Ultradot since my last post..not sure which way to turn the dials for up and down. The unit is easily turned on with the push of a button, and automatically turns off after I think three hours. I like the 2 minute dot, easy to see and hit with..will need more work to wring it out. Les