THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Does Anyone Have A Hamilton Bowen Custom?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Have A Hamilton Bowen Custom?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The idea is kicking around to purchase a Redhawk. Then send it off for a 5 shot .45 Colt conversion. Does anyone have experience with this Gentleman's work? Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
Good afternoon, no experience but love the pictures at his web site. My thinking is that my 45 colt redhawk is heavy, compact, and strong as it leaves the factory. With +P loads, 300 grain wfn at 1250 ft, it's sort of a poor man's "mountain gun" with a bigger punch. Although the redhawk grip fits my hand very well, I don't know that I would want to regularly shoot a 5 shot version. I was toying with sending my bisley for the 5 shot conversion, again 45 colt, but am now considering a conversion to 480 Ruger. I've been seduced by the .480 loads at the Hodgdon web site. good shooting

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't have, and haven't handled a bowen gun. My understanding is that the top echelon of revolver smiths are Bowen, Linebaugh, Stroh and Huntington, though not necesarily in that order, they all do great work. A buddy had Huntington build a 500 Linebaugh on a super redhawk, the workmanship was outstanding, the gun was actually too tight when he first got it, so he sent it back, and Jack made it right.

I agree about the stiff loads being a bit much in a DA frame. The std six shot 45 colt redhawk can already be loaded to levels that are uncomfortable, not much gained in going to a sixshot. The redhawk cylinder is massive, much more metal then the blackhawk, and offset cylinder notches.

If you really want the most out of the 45 colt, the 5 shot bisleys or bisley/vaqueros are the way to go, or get a FA 454 with a 45 colt cylinder.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote