THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Not Hunting rather self defense invoving Rattler

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Hunting rather self defense invoving Rattler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

While I have killed smaller snakes with 22Mag shot shells. 4 rounds at less than 3 feet just pissed this one off. When it drew back into a tight S shape and pointed itself towards me I said fuckit and pulled out the G20 I carry stoked with 200gr DoubleTap HP. One shot stop. Another step or two and I would have stepped right on it. I am 6'3" and am wearing western boots with a 2" heel.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good size snake killed one about that size while hog hunting a 315gr WFN hard cast at 1280fps.

On the tip of his nose did the job.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
About the same size of a timber rattler I killed with a Kysher blade on a survey job.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a mighty big buzztail by Oregon standards. A five-footer here is a toad.
I killed one about 3 1/2 feet long with a single CCI .22 LR shotshell at six feet a while back and he didn't move.
I think I'd have wanted a .38 or .44 shotshell at minimum for that bruiser. Did you save the skin? It would cover both limbs of a self bow!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice job. Now there is some fine eating!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had seen the pics in the ranch house, but had not paid much attention until this incident. I will definitely pay more attention where I walk.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I, like you, have found that the .22/.22Mag bird shot loads are a dismal failure on big snakes. However, not all is lost, as they are dynamite on bees and butterflies.

I've shot 4 or 5 big snakes with .22lr shot shells multiple times and it only seemed to piss them off. Lately I've found 1 oz of #7.5's from a 20 gauge at 12-15 feet makes heads disappear !!!

I don't like getting as close as the .22 shot shells require or having to fire so many rounds and hoping that the snake doesn't strike out during the volley.

I've also found, again like you, that 180g .40 slug will makes heads and body parts vanish with one shot !! The double barreled 20 gauge does have a greater margin of error in the sight picture required.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only report my personal experience with handgun shotshells.

I have killed a LOT of snakes, including some big ones with handgun shotshells.

I have used the 22LR, 22Mag, 9mm, 38 Special, 44 Mag/Special, 45 ACP, and the 45 Colt.

I have never had to shoot any snake more than twice, except for a 62" Diamondback water snake that got into the wives chicken pen.

She grabbed it by the tail and "flung" it out of the pen. When it hit the ground, it took off like lightening, and I was right up on it. I fired 4 shots from a SA 45 Colt as it went past me, but I was too close and the pattern was too small. I backed up a little and shot it from about 10 or 12 feet, with my last round.
It was DRT.

I have killed several big rattlers with the 22LR and 22 Mag.

One of my biggest rattlers was a 54" one I killed after dark in deer camp with my S&W Mod 34 2" Kit gun.

I have killed a whole bunch of big snakes with my Freedom Arms 22 Mag,1.2" Mini revolver,never more than 2 shots...

PS, Rattle snakes taste great fried up in Olive oil. dancing Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Got a five foot timber rattler the other day on a job with a Kysher blade. Not as much fun as the .38, but a much quieter.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Shot rattler once with a Lama 380 auto killed the snake but don't recommend the gun sights were lousy but it pointed well.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only seen a couple in my life that big. The biggest was on the southern tip of the big horn mts. I was leaving 10 Sleep early in the morning. The snake was stretched clear across the road. I ran over it with both front tires. I went back to shoot it but it had got to the side of the road into some tall sage. I didn't dare go in after it.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Thank God! We don't have snakes up here. !!!!!!!

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a rattler here in eastern PA, but after my brother moved to Wyoming he asked me which pistol shotshells worked best I t9old him whatever pistol would load 1-1/8oz of #7-1/2 or #8 12ga shotshells... he finds them effective on his rattlers, but I'm still mystified why he asked me, all I ever see in snakes that I'd consider shooting are copperheads and frankly I only ever see them after my domestic cat decides to use them as playtoys.

MY cat seems to know what he's doing so I don't interfere

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote