New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum revolver scopes??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering putting a 'Burris 2-7 X32 Electro Dot' scope on my .480 Ruger with a 9" barrel for the longer work and a 'Bushnell Mini HOLOsight' on when hunting the runnin' hogs.

Has anyone had any personnel experiences with these two sights on the big revolvers?

Any suggestions / recommendations will also be appreciated as this will be the first handgun I will have scoped.

Many thanks,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with an expert JD Jones at http://www.sskindustries.com he makes the Tough Son of B****h mounts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I contacted Bushnell about putting the Holosight on my .475 and they did NOT think it would take the recoil.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the exact same gun. I had a Leupold 2x on it and it worked fine. Wanted more magnification, put a Weaver 2-8x28 on it. The eye relief was terrible. Didn't really want to spend any more money on a handgun scope. Ende up buying a Bushnell Trophy for $150, 2-6x32. I do not usually buy what I consider lower-end optics. This scope has been one of the pleasantly surprising purchases I have ever made. The 32mm objective is plenty bright, and 6x is enough also. I have shot over 400 rounds through it since I mounted the scope. It has never changed point of impact once. The optics are surprisingly good, and I've owned a lot of scopes. I can't say enough about my "cheapie" Bushnell. Took a nice 8-pointer with this gun last year. 30yd. shot with a 325gr Gold Dot. Lights out! Enjoy your 480, it's a great caliber IMHO---2MG

Posts: 98 | Location: michigun | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell makes good stuff. Another consideration is the Ultra Dot red dot scope. I love mine for hunting and they will not break.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the bushnell 2-6 is the old simmons 2.5-7 gold medal scope. If so, it is on heck for stout scope. I've generally had bad experiences with low end scopes, but if that rumor is true about the bushnell 2-6, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the stiffest recoiling handguns.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinion , one of the good 2x scopes ( Leupy , Burris , etc.) is the way to go for a magnum revolver........Iv'e used an older Burris on a Redhawk for a number of years with perfect satisfaction.......it is fast on the target and has a very flexible eye relief.

I also used a Bushnell 2x6 on a Striker for a number of years and took half a dozen deer por so with the out fit . It was a reliable scope , but I wouldn't buy one again . The field of view is pretty narrow , and while the eye relief is long , it is too critical for my taste .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 2X Leupold for the shorter range revolvers and a 4X Leupold for the longer range revolvers has worked fine for me. A 4X scope is good enough out to 300 yards(not that you will need it) without a problem and the 2X works great due to the large FOV. A variable just is not needed on a revolver and tends to complicate things(like having it on 6X when you should have had it on 2X).

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend a 2X Leupold to hunt the woods of N.C. No other handgun scope is more forgiving of eye position, and no more magnification is needed, or even desireable. If your hunting is mostly around fields, a 4X Leupold is also useable, but will be much more difficult at 25 yds.for a person new to handgun scopes. A 2X Burris will also work and will withstand the recoil, but is much more critical for eye positioning than a 2X Leupold for a fast shot in the woods.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used an original Aimpoint and a 2x Burris on my 10 inch Contender barrels (22, 357, and 44). The Aimpoint is long ago burglarized and the Burris resides on the 357 barrel these days. My problem has always been when deer show up closer than expected. Were I shopping for an optical sight these days I'd try the 4x Leupold for distance work and a Mil-Spec sort of Aimpoint for quick stuff up close. I think Ruger will sell you 30mm rings for the SRH. The SRH being clumsy enough already, I'd avoid any system that doesn't let you use the built in scope mounts and factory-style rings

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot belive that leupy does not make a low-range vaiable for revolvers. Their 2x is perfect for hunting, and the 4x is perfect for targeting and plinking. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE BOTH!

I think a 2x-4x variable, built on the 4x chassis would be a awesome revolver scope. I have been bugging them off and on to make one, and even said I would pay to have a prototype made (for me). They declined.

They just wont listen!!!

One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
I have an old Simmons 1.5 X 4 that has done well for me. There are only a couple of places in the world that make handgun scopes. So many name brands are made in the same building. For example Nikon Monarch and Tasco EXP are nearly th same. I suggest buy a lesser expensive scope or buy a Leupold that is made in the US. But the lower powere settings are what you need in the woods. The high poweres are good for the range but not in the woods.

JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're in luck... sort of. I don't have experience with it yet, but I'm going down to pick up a Burris 2-7x Ball. Plex from Cabela's tomorrow to put on my 500 S&W and I'm headed to the range with it on Sunday. It only took them 7 weeks to get it. What an ordeal. The good news is it's finally here. I'll post back with pictures and results.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher,

I'm looking forward to your report.

Thanks,
Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupole 2X on all my big bomers. They hold up well.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As my eyes aged, and I thought I'd try a scope on my .375 JDJ Contender. I called J.D. and at that time, he recomended a 2x B & L pistol scope as having a good track record on hard kicking handguns. We put one of them on the .375 Contender in the TSOB mount, and never had any problems with it.
I would add however...after some considerable trials, I decided the scope was a mistake and replaced it with a Leupold Gilmore red dot. For my needs, I like that set-up much better than a scoped handgun. That B & L scope has since found a home on my 45/70 Guide Gun in a "scout mount" configuration, and I love it. Scope is holding up just fine.
Hope this helps...
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's finally came through. After a multitude of hassles and almost 2 months of waiting I was able to go down and pick up the scope last night after a twelve hours worth of traveling back in from Canada. Hopefully I'll be able to go shoot it tomorrow, but I've got run up to Ennis first thing in the morning to pick up my 338/378 from Shilen with it's 3rd barrel.

In the meantime, here's what the 500 looks like with the 2-7x Burris and medium Warne's. I think they're a bit high, but I don't think lows will fit and if they do I think the factory sights might be visible.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had many different scopes on my handguns but lately it is all Burris and Leupold. Not sure why but more Burris than Leupold though. I have several hand cannons. My Freedom Arms .454 has a 1 1/2 x 4 Burris and to me this is the best handgun scope for most uses. Low power for those short fast shots and high enough magnafication if I want to reach out a ways. I have noticed once you get over 4 power it is very hard to hold steady uless you have a SOLID rest. I also had this scope on my 10 inch .444 T/C barrel and I never had a problem with it. The barrel is for sale if anyone is interested.

Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just killed [or my gun did at least]my Burris 2-7 ballistic plex.
With less than 100 shots through it it totally knocked out one of the lenses inside.
This happend on the 6 th shot shooting 300 grn handloads that is not at all even close to factory offerings.Not one of the shots fired through the gun with the scope mounted on it was a factory loading.
Am I dissapointed,this is the second Burris 2-7 that I had to send back.
I bought it from Midway so now I am waiting for an answer from them to whom I should send it back ,them or Burris.
The other bitch is the fact that I moved back to South africa and we all know how things opperate down here[mailing it back].
I am really looking hard at an Eotech 510 sight but I dont know if it would hold up to the recoil and their customer service site is down aswell.
Does anybody have any experience with it mounted on a big revolver.
Any thoughts would be appreciated and I will keep you guys posted on what happens with my broken scope and the claims regarding it.
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It takes a stout optic to survive very long on any heavy recoiling handgun which is why so many people that have been through this stick with a fixed power scope of high quality. Whether it be a 2x for the woods or a 4x for the plains there is a whole lot less that can break in them and they are hell for strong. I have a 4x Leupold mounted in the dual dovetail Leupold base/rings on my 378GNR Encore with a 12" bbl which is shooting 270gr bullets @2350fps and is a very heavy recoiling set-up and this scope has survived at least 400 rounds so far. I have shot game at 75-240 yards with it. What more could one want?

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a 2-7x Burris in Leupold rings and mounts on my 629 S&W 44 mag. Less than 50 shots and had to send it back for "debris" floating around inside. Got it back, shot 20 shots and had to send it back for the same problem. Happened about 10 years ago. Don't know if they remedied their problems or if the new owners turned things around. Don't care cause I refuse to do any more business with Burris.

Maybe it's me, but nowadays I don't give ANY company too much slack. Screw me around a couple times and I move on to the next company. There's lots of scope companies these days. I don't have to take crap from Burris just cause they're in Colorado.

I wish you luck with your Burris product.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Burris 3x12's mounted on my Savage Striker pistols for long range work. But for shorter distance, I like the 2x6 Bushnell Trophy scopes. I loaned my buddy one of the Bushnells to put on his 44 SRH, and the other I have mounted on a SSK, 300 Savage Contender barrel. No problems with recoil with either of the scopes.
Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The photo above shows one of the key secrets to heavy recoil handgun scope survival: 3 or even 4 rings. Scopes flex in recoil, and mutiple rings reduce that flex. Heavier, higher magnification, target scopes seem a bit less durable and more prone to loose lenses, etc. Although I have a number of Burris(2-7X, 3-12X), Bushnell 3200 2-6X, and Leupold 2X and 4X handgun scopes in service, I hear more complaints from others about the 2-7X Burris than all others put together. Has to be some kind of quality consistency issue there (mine have been fine). On heavy recoilers like the .375 JDJ,.45-70,.454,.475 L,.500WE and the like, give me a Leupold 2 or 4X, a T'SOB, and 3 or usually 4 rings,and I'll stay happy. Never a failure. Someone else can keep messing with 2 rings and delicate scopes.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of craven
posted Hide Post
I have a 2x6x32 Bushnell 3200 elite on my SRH 9.5" in 545 Casull, I have fired over two hunderd full power rounds with this set up with out any problems. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Craven thumb

Posts: 139 | Location: Florida | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Burris or Leupold. I have a 3 power Burris on my 480 Ruger and it is outstanding. I also had one on a 45-70 Contender with no problem. I have a hunch that Burris is probably the strongest of all handgun scopes but there are several good ones out there. I would stick with one of the two mentioned above.

Good shooting,
Dave

Sharps made the west safe for Winchester!

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I am using a Bushnell 2X6X32 on my S&W 7.5 inch 460 Mag. I have a Ultra-dot Match-dot on my 5 inch 460 Mag and a Ultra-dot Match-dot on my BFR 6 inch 500 Mag. All hold up well with the recoil.

My BFR has over 4000 rounds with this red-dot and my 460 Mags have over 2000 rounds and still going strong.

Hard to beat actual experience.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Burris 2-7 fail after about 10 shots on a 44 Mag Contender, won't be buying anymore of them.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

FYI:

I received a S&W .460 for Christmas. I put off putting a scope on it until i returned from the Reno show.

This may piss off the Burris people but the big gun guys at S&W said to go with Leupold or Nikon with the Warren base and Leupold Mark 4 rings.

The Burris people told me they are having around 5% or more return on their scopes used on these big magnums.

I still haven't put any glass on her yet but it will be what S&W recommended.

Sam

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of my 460 with a Leupold FXII scope with Leupold mount and rings. No problems after approx 300 rounds.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the picture.

Are you shooting factory or hand loads?

If hand loads, would you mind sharing some of the components you have used and your success with them?

Thanks a bunch.

Sam

eclemmons2hotmail.com

posted Hide Post
HI I mounted the 2x7x32 e-dot on my 500 mag and it broke the fast focus adjustment and the dot would not stay on.I had to unscrew the battery cap and bend copper tabs back out a little also had some particles floating around in the scope. I only shot fatory thru it and i had the scope mouted whit a weigand base and 4 rings on the scope. so i sent it back,i am to try the eotech 512 next, the 512 works realy well on my superredhawk 454. good luck & happy hunting Dan.

Posts: 3 | Location: Afton, NY, USA | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Sirs,

I see a lot written here about Leupold and Bushnell. What do you guys think about Weaver brand handgun scopes? I was looking at a Weaver classic 2x28 that had a lot of good feedback last night and am thinking about getting one for my .44. Any feedback on Weaver?

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote