THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Looking for a strong red dot for my smith and Wesson. 500

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a strong red dot for my smith and Wesson. 500
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was thinking about picking up a red dot or similar site on the Smith and Wesson to improve accuracy a bit. What type is a good one that will hold up to the recoil. I would be interested in seeing some big bore combinations you guys are using. I'm also open to other site options.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
I was thinking about picking up a red dot or similar site on the Smith and Wesson to improve accuracy a bit. What type is a good one that will hold up to the recoil. I would be interested in seeing some big bore combinations you guys are using. I'm also open to other site options.

Ultradot all the way. I have been abusing them on heavy kicking revolvers for years. The Ultradot 30 is among the toughest of the bunch.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ultradot. Had one on my 454 and no problems, works great.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think of the reflex red dot sights?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ultradot is tough to beat. For a reflex sight - Trijicon RMR series.

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Ultradot is not (tubed) reflex sight?

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you guys feel these sights help aid in accuracy and target acquisition?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a Vortex on my 460.

The answer to your question is yes no and maybe.

Accuracy is enhanced under most conditions Target acquisition varies with your training and experience with the optic.

Also lighting conditions can play a role.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:

For me, yes. My eyes don't get along with iron sights so well anymore. That said, with practice the dot is really fast and easy to acquire. Plus, they are great in low light.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Trijicon rmr has me intrigued. I already have a leupold handgun scope so I'm looking for something that will give me mobility and quick target acquisition around 25 yards plus. Would the 3 moa or 7moa be better.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Steel,

I went this route Several years ago on my S&W PC Light Hunter:

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-SWR

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPOINT4

I have no problems keeping a 2.5” group at 50 yards and ringing steel consistently at 200 yards. The JP sight is very similar to the RMR or others of its ilk. It’s lightweight, replaces the rear sight, is light activated (*so, it doesn’t drain the batter with the cover on...or in a dark safe, for instance) and the dot is super quick to pick up.

I also like that I can use a cheap normal nylon holster for the revolver with little modification.

Now, here’s the caveat: it’s very light and really doesn’t change the handling of the gun. So if you want to add weight and reduce recoil on that 500, this isn’t going to be the right answer. On the other hand, if the recoil of the 500 doesn’t bother you, then rock on.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about putting RED dot sights on my 500 S&W revolver too. But I need Night Vision Compatible one. Any recommendation? I like Aimpoint Micro T-2, but I don't like that price tag.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use a couple of UltraDot 30s, and recommend them over everything else. After trying piles of others, I think it is the tube itself which makes it so fast to acquire the dot. If you see the side of the tube, you instinctively move the muzzle in the other direction to straighten it out. With a reflex sight, there is no such point of reference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you think a reflex sight would survive being mounted on the slide of my desert eagle .50ae? I know the glock guys put them on the slide all the time.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Whelenite, that's a heck of a meplat on those bullets of yours.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure, Bill, it's a thumper! They come from Missouri Bullets, and are HiTek coated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ultradot on my 475 Linebaugh, and a scope on my S&W 629. Accuracy from a rest is much improved as long as the dot is small enough to ensure repeatable point of aim.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote