New
Find
Notify
Tools

holster
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking for a shoulder rig for a ruger blackhawk, to be carried while hunting and have spent some time on the net but not finding what i want. Simply Rugged has a chest holster and thats a consideration. also want a shoulder rig cause its easier in a vehicle. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
looking for a shoulder rig for a ruger blackhawk, to be carried while hunting and have spent some time on the net but not finding what i want. Simply Rugged has a chest holster and thats a consideration. also want a shoulder rig cause its easier in a vehicle. thanks

This is a chest rig by 7x Leather, and the quality is hard to beat as far as I'm concerned.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7X Leather is tops, as Max points out. Diamond D Custom Leather makes their Guide's Choice, another fine option. Barranti Leather's Northwest Hunter is another favorite.

Cheers,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
El Paso Saddlery Tanker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobmn:
El Paso Saddlery Tanker

unless i'm wrong thats only for a 1911 if memory serves

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
budget wise i'm looking at a Triple K #191 right now

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:

This is a chest rig by 7x Leather, and the quality is hard to beat as far as I'm concerned.

That revolver looks like a beauty.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
John if you ever make it down here I'll show you the one I made. It's for my S+W model 57 8 3/8" bbl. w/ compartments for 2-speed loaders + sheath for my Puma white hunter + a loop to hold a mini-mag flashlight while leaving the left should open for using a rifle if need be.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool. ok

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
El Paso Saddlery Tanker

my bad, they DO make a tanker for a blackhawk. sure wish they weren't running 1- 2 months out though. wonder if bobby mcnellis still runs that place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jonn: I have one for a BFR 475. Used it for years in Alaska while fishing. The gun rides high enough that it is still accessible while wearing waders. It also works well while wearing a backpack. Worth the wait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good infor. thanks

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Mark and Whitworth I have always liked the look of the 7X. It would be the best way to carry some of my heavy guns to still be ready when the rifle isn't the right gun for the job. In or out of the truck it looks useful. Frequently the simplest is the most elegant. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
El Paso Saddlery Tanker

my bad, they DO make a tanker for a blackhawk. sure wish they weren't running 1- 2 months out though. wonder if bobby mcnellis still runs that place.

glad you mentioned it. this one is the one i went with. and a crossdraw. waiting begins.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Diamond D are very good for chest positioning

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
El Paso Saddlery Tanker

They will make their tanker holster for most pistol or revolvers - I have holsters for: 1911, Browning Hi-Power, Colt Woodsman and Smith & Wesson N frame.

Posts: 221 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like all chest holsters and some crossdraw holsters as well. It just depends on the use. I wanted to add. We all know, but please be careful to not sweep yourself as you draw. Crossdraw and chest carry look to me to increase the possibility a bit. Be Well, Packy.

posted Hide Post
A Bianchi X-15 has worked for me.

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
El Paso Saddlery Tanker

I have a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag that I use a tanker for a chest rig to carry it under my rain gear when hunting and camping in Alaska. It also works great when traveling driving. The pistol is easy to get into action if needed while driving, and even in cold weather, for concealment under a jacket while walking around town.
In Alaska it is always on me even when in camp, or in the alders taking a dump.
Bears or criminals, it is ready.
……...............……...…. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of years ago I had a Bianchi shoulder rig for my 6" model 586 S&W that worked well for a budget holster. I think they made them for different revolvers.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus 1 for 7X Leather, worth the money.
Fully adjustable and comfortable.
Good Hunting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Double Diamond

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And in lightweight, synthetic, maybe cordura material for an S&W 629 - 6" barrel?

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never saw a pig, cow, or horse wearing synthetic but I'm sure it is possible. Smiler Be Well, Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned many holsters over the last 50 plus years of using handguns.

I brought the best leather on/off duty holsters money could buy I worn them everyday 8 to 12 hours a day 5 or more days a week.

All my leather holsters are sitting on the shelve I now use and wear non leather holster everyday.

Except Sunday when I wear a nice horse hide pancake for my 1911 Sunday go to meeting pistol.

It is only worn 2hrs a week then under a suit coat so far it has held up.

When I see a leather holster with no marks on it I know that it is not used day in day out.

Maybe not used at all because when used they get sweat on them they get bumped and banged around leaving marks.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a K-38 6" as beautiful as they ever made.

Left it stored in a nylon holster with several others in leather holsters in about 50-60% humidity. Yeah I know!!

The nylon holster was the only one that showed
any rust and it very much ruined the finish on
the K 38. Just for that reason I'd never put
a gun I valued in another one, not even to wear.

This gun looks nice with a frosty black finish.
Made me almost cry when I discovered it with a
1/16" of rust all over it.

Having right at 40 surgeries since Nov '12. I
hadn't been able to access anything, let alone
my guns. Being single kept others out of most of
'em too. Til I was out for 4 months. Then 6
disappeared along with a bunch of other stuff.

Gotta prove it to file charges even when you
know damned well who took it all.

Just sharing is all.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with Chisholm trail holsters out of Georgia? Their cowboy gear looks good but I’m not sure about their stuff for modern guns

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Diamond D for me. tu2