Find
Notify
Tools

A good range day 41 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Handgun: 657 41 Magnum Smith and Wesson, 6 inch barrel

Load: 230 Grain Gas Check Keith at 1250 FPS chronoed.

Distance: 15 yards.

Conditions: 55 wind 15 miles per hour.

Grips: VZ tactical diamond V10.

I fired my 657 for 40 rounds today. I chewed a great, for me group, just off a bull made of 4 thumbtacks. The last 6 shots are on the top right paper.

I love the 230 Keith (gas checked) load at 1250 (actually 1252 rounded off) over the chrono). This load is not overly punishing. It is fairly mild. This load has power, weight, structural integrity, but is not 255 grains at 1500 FPS. I do not think Smiths Handle those top end loads well.

I learned a couple of things. First, the micro click sights do not move unless you turn the screw to an audible click. The screw will turn somewhat with a click. You have done nothing. Second, you will notice the glove. The VZ grips will take hide to the blood after about 15 rounds. I learned this on my shoot last weekend when I put 70 rounds down range. They feel great to just grip, but have a sand paper like texture. I use to hate those big, blocky N Frame target grips from just a visual standpoint. After using them, I can say they are superior on these magnum N frames. The sides are checkered just enough and the wood does not bite you. The size keeps the revolver from getting a run back and twisting in the hand.

The VZ grips, even with the glove with rubber panels stitched in, at round 27 started to take the hide off again, and you can feel the running and twisting from round one. The N frame target grips do not allow for this. One may ask, why not put the N Frame target grips back in this 657. Well, that is because it did not come with N Frame Target grips, but someone’s crude attempt at the N frame target grips.

I really chewed up a slightly larger than golf ball sized multi bullet, single hole 13 rounds in. Please, click on the photo for better viewing.

I now have put 120 rounds down with this 657. Next weekend, I am going to move back to 25 yards.

I have given the VZ grips a hard time. They do feel awesome until round 15 barehanded.

What have you been shooting?

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love to see threads on the 41 Mag. Nice shooting... I’ve done a lot worse with my BH.

My first 41 was a S&W early 57 with the 8 3/8” barrel in a presentation case. It was a beautiful handgun. I almost hated to carry it hunting. After I bought the Ruger BH, I ended up trading the S&W. I miss it at times, but love my Ruger.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the 230 Keith (gas checked) load at 1250 (actually 1252 rounded off) over the chrono). This load is not overly punishing. It is fairly mild. This load has power, weight, structural integrity, but is not 255 grains at 1500 FPS. I do not think Smiths Handel those top end loads well.

The 230's at 1250fps will shot through many critters.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What powder are you using in your posted load? I've had incredible accuracy in my 8-3/8" model 57 using Shooter's World Heavy Pistol under GT's 230 SWC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H110 19 grains.

I am happy with the revolver performance. If you blow up the target, I got a lot of 3-4 rounds in a single hole.

I am not Duke Wayne with a revolver. It had been awhile. These were shot resting the frame under a sand bag. I can only repeat the hold so well.

Next week, I am going to go back to the 25 yard line.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next week, I am going to go back to the 25 yard line

How far were you shooting this week?

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Smiler

Wonder if our guide will let us bring our handguns for the Nilgai! 3 months away

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Next week, I am going to go back to the 25 yard line

How far were you shooting this week?

The above is 15 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Raging Bull .41 Mag. Love it.
Killed a groundhog last week offhand at 43 yds. with a 220 Keith SWC.
Raging Bulls are shooters, but not always looked upon friendly. I have them in .454 Casull & .500 Smith. Killed a brown bear with it at 129 yds.- one shot.
I've taken nilgai with my .475 Linebaugh FA and 2 with a .375 JDJ Contender. Handguns work just fine on nilgai if you use enough power.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
WV Hitman I have thought about the Raging Bull but had a real problem on their double action Taurus 357 I bought, sent back twice and they said it was fixed . Still only fires maybe one out of a full cylinder. It just makes me not want to deal with them even though the 41 in a Raging Bull looks tempting. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Packy, I can relate. I know that Taurus is putting out a better product these days but I still can't get over the old prejudice from when they turned out an inferior product.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
NC it wasn't so much as an inferior product. It was that they had the gun sent to them, kept it for a couple of months, then said it was OK while actually not even opening the gun up!. They could have fixed it the first time and I would have been a happy camper. As it is they did that twice. I just want the gun fixed. That is quite simple. I want it to go bang every time I try to shoot. I will delve into it myself and probably fix it. I have just been angry about it for years. Bought the gun about 1994. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, I had a similar experience with Weatherby in the late 70s that involved an auto 12G. (centurion as I recall) that did not function + I sent it back insured + it was supposedly lost in the UPS system. O.K. pay me, oh no we have to wait + see if we can find it. That took over a year + it finally showed up in the box, test fired + not cleaned, already rusting with the note that they had found nothing wrong. I went down that day + traded it off on a Ruger + have never bought another Weatherby product.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was certainly Bill Jordan's dream + it might have been possible had it been built on a K frame instead of an N frame as was Bill's original idea. I understand when pressures are involved one has to do what needs to be done, not just wishful thinking. But I or one would have loved to have a 41 in a K frame, just because. The weight was the official argument at the time but that makes no sense to me when the troopers were already carrying Model 28s in 357 on an N frame. That reason won't fly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never understood why Jordan, Keith, and Skelton did not just get Remington or Winchester to load the 44 Special with a 245-255 grain at 900 FPS if they wanted something hard hitting, but controllable in a service revolver. All three already had that load as their carry load.

The answer to the question hard hitting but controllable was right there. They had it in their hands 44 Special, 245-255 grain bullet, 900 FPS.

The 357 Magnum in a K frame sold, but was not the best idea from the standpoint of a revolver firing 158 grain bullets at 1400 FPS. A K Frame 41 Magnum would have been worse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I or one would have loved to have a 41 in a K frame, just because

My Taurus 5 shot Ti 41 fits the bill even lighter at 27oz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the exact same model 657, 41 magnum with Hogue BigButt, cocabola/walnut grips on it. I change to them as I have a large hand and these grips are very comfortable. I have changed from the iron sights to a Burris red dot 3moa. Love it. I handload 210 Berry’s copper clad Bullets. Love this set up. Hope to take a bear with it in this upcoming spring season in NW Montana.

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:

Do like the model 58s.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one model 58, but I really prefer the model 57 for fit to my hand + overall appearance, I like the ejector shroud + larger grips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 58 because it reminds me of the ultimate Military Service of Model 1917.

Yes, it is on the short list of N frames for my collection. Hell, they are all in the sort list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several models of 1917 over the years both Colt + S+W. In the 70s we could get them for a pittance. I had one that I shortened the bbl + bobbed the hammer + loaded it with snake shot in moon clips to carry when we were hauling hay. I had one that I gave to my preacher friend that was an S+W chambered in 45 Ely.