New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Triple Lock and Pressure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been reading on 250-255 grain cast loads for the 44 Special.

Ran across an old Handloader Article linked herein.

What is interesting to me is the 1909 New Century 1st Gen. Hand Ejector being the famed Triple Lock is held to industry standard 15kpsi by the author.

However, the 2nd Hand Ejectot and subsequent N frame Smith and Wesson 44 Specials the author allows higher 25k psi loads that reach 1200-1300 FPS.

Now, I do not need a 1200fps-250grain-44 special. Yet, I find it odd that the 2nd Generation Hand Ejector is rated by the author to 25k psi while the Triple Lock which more than anything prevents the revolver from coming out of time is not.

The cylinder steel between the 1st Hand Ejector and 2n Hand Ejector cannot be different.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/44-s-w-special-p

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know or knew,a lot of old timers including Elmer Keith, that loaded the triple locks pretty hot, self included, never was aware of the difference or what the pressures were, but they ejected case clean without effort and they didn't shoot lose.They had great trigger pulls, both single and double action.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your experience.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I love my 2nd model HE in 44 spl. It is stout but I have never pushed to the limit as I do w/ my mag. @ 22 G. of 2400.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cylinder in the triple lock was not heat treated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by micdis:
The Cylinder in the triple lock was not heat treated.

This

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
heat treating, I read at some point in a magazine, would create a very brittle cyclender and that would be a problem with the Triple Lock..for what it's worth, and I don't know other than what I read at the time..

I know a lot of friends that loaded the triple locks to the hilt with 2400 and some other discarded powder, self included, but none of us had chronographs back then..Elmer loaded his triple lock beyond max I know that for a fact. I blew a case in half, so cut back two grs. and all went well..All that old documentation of the old rifles and pistols was lost in a burglary of the barn in El Paso back in the 1950s at my father in laws farm..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote