New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Load 44 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Taurus Tracker 44. Great lightweight gun for carry, but recoil is stout.

I need recommendations for a good factory load for bear defense. It will be used as a backup when hunting black bear and grizzly over bait.

Thanks.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same revolver.

I only use hand loads in it.

I think you are going to find factory loads all to be a bit stout.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HMS has a 305 grain bear load. I would suggest going with cast bullets for penetration. I agree with p dog shooter, any of that type factory ammo is going to be a bear to shoot, pun intended.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been shooting Winchester 240 gr at about 1100 FPS. Even with that load you need to hang on to your hat when squeezing off a shot.

I figure if a bear is close enough I can smell his breath, I won’t even notice the recoil.

I’ll look into the HSM loads. If their chamber pressure isn’t too high they might just be the ticket.

BTW A friend who shoots competition with a S&W in 460 S&W says that my gun has quite a bit more recoil than his.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I cast a 250 G. Keith style bullet out of Linotype over 22 G. of 2400 for 1250 M.V. It works.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been shooting Winchester 240 gr at about 1100 FPS. Even with that load you need to hang on to your hat when squeezing off a shot.

Well you could always find the best 44spl. that works for you.

Another is find a hand loader that well custom design a load for you.

I have found factory ammo can be improved on by selecting powders used.

Factory 44s seem to be formulated to give lots of flash and muzzle blast.

Seems they want you to know your shooting a 44.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

I figure if a bear is close enough I can smell his breath, I won’t even notice the recoil.

I’ll look into the HSM loads. If their chamber pressure isn’t too high they might just be the ticket.

BTW A friend who shoots competition with a S&W in 460 S&W says that my gun has quite a bit more recoil than his.

BH63

Yes, under those circumstances, I agree completely. What recoil?

Not surprising as the 460 is a heavier revolver. I’ve shot 30-06s that kick harder than my 416 Rigby.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
As a professional bear control hunter, using a M29, my preferred round is the factory or hand loaded Remington .44mag, 240gr SJHP.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nobody2:
As a professional bear control hunter, using a M29, my preferred round is the factory or hand loaded Remington .44mag, 240gr SJHP.

Please elaborate, as a professional, I would like to hear more input from you. Barrel length on your 29, bullets recovered, what velocity ranges do you prefer, etc...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please share your experiences. Type of bears, how many were killed with the M29, number of shots, etc.
We could learn a lot from you.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For sure we are always interested in experiences.

I see several bears shot with 44 handguns and 240gr factory loads.

One was one of biggest blacks I seen shot live weight was 585. That was shot in a corn field in front of the hounds at about 3 feet.

It was circling in the corn and the shooter was standing in one row and the bear walked by him in the next row over.

He gave it a 240 in the lungs and it died shortly there after.

Yes they hauled it out whole and put it on a scale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:

Please share your experiences. Type of bears, how many were killed with the M29, number of shots, etc.
We could learn a lot from you.

+1

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Too much to cover here, but suffice to say (personally)adequate results fill the spectrum within the parameter for black bear.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Too much to cover here, but suffice to say (personally)adequate results fill the spectrum within the parameter for black bear.

Well, that was a dud.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Say what???

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The Gentleman means that he really doesn't want to or cannot tell us all the bear shootings stories but that his recommended bullet and load worked well on black bear. We should be courteous enough to accept that kindly. Him being a Control hunter, you can presume that he has shot a lot of bear of all sizes in about every situation.
To the OP, the weight of your chosen weapon creates the recoil as you know. But your choice of a load for "backup" on bear needs to be the same as if you had a heavy 44 to soak that recoil up. If your shooting head on bear, you need penetration and to hit what your shooting at. 250 SW hardcast at anything over 950 fps would satisfy that. Or you can choose a premium, expanding bullet in some boutique factory load. Lot's of information on the web about 44 loads for your perusal. I have often coveted a 44 Tracker by the way. Good choice of a carry 44 I think.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Bore's new Dangerous Game load for the .44 Magnum....

265 grain LeHigh solid copper flat-nosed bullet. Big meplat, won't distort on bone, and will penetrate deep and straight.

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...product_detail&p=561

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These posts are very helpful.

I really love that Tracker. It is a joy to carry. Especially for something you will probably never have to use.

I currently use an Alaska Guide shoulder holster. It is secure, rides well, and easy to draw from.

I actually bought some HSM bear loads Saturday, so that should help.

I am figuring 2 rounds of the 240 gr Wins and 3 rounds of the HSM.

Thanks again.

BH63

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
The Gentleman means that he really doesn't want to or cannot tell us all the bear shootings stories but that his recommended bullet and load worked well on black bear. We should be courteous enough to accept that kindly. Him being a Control hunter, you can presume that he has shot a lot of bear of all sizes in about every situation.
To the OP, the weight of your chosen weapon creates the recoil as you know. But your choice of a load for "backup" on bear needs to be the same as if you had a heavy 44 to soak that recoil up. If your shooting head on bear, you need penetration and to hit what your shooting at. 250 SW hardcast at anything over 950 fps would satisfy that. Or you can choose a premium, expanding bullet in some boutique factory load. Lot's of information on the web about 44 loads for your perusal. I have often coveted a 44 Tracker by the way. Good choice of a carry 44 I think.

I’m not presuming anything. If he can’t talk about what he’s done, this would have been an excellent time to not broach the subject and just state his preference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Seems like he could just say “It works for me”. LOL

Maybe American English is not his first language?

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he's just modest or doesn't want to write a chapter of war tales. It would be interesting though if he did so.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
It would be interesting though if he did so.

Or not.....LOL! rotflmo

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have trouble digesting the "all black bear are created equally" mantra so flippantly bandied about. I have hunted them (with handguns) in Maine where a 200 pounder is a good bear, and North Carolina where (where we hunt) the bears frequently exceed 500 pounds. In fact here is one from last year's take...not one I would use a 240 grain bullet out of a .44 Mag, but that's just me.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t leave out Alaska. A huge blackie will square 6-7 foot and run about 300 pounds. Of course some may get bigger. But the vast majority of interior black bears will be lucky to break 200 pounds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:..not one I would use a 240 grain bullet out of a .44 Mag, but that's just me.

This thread is about a back up, self defense weapon if your rifle gets knocked away and the bear is charging. Not as a primary weapon for hunting.

I remember reading an article years ago (complete with pictures) of a game warden who killed a grizzly bear after it attacked him as they were trying to release it.

Gun? A .38 Special if I remember correctly.

At spitting distance a .44 Mag with 240 gr bullets moving over 1000 FPS can whack something pretty hard.

Not that I would want to be put in that position.

BH63

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the point is that all bears are not created equally. To lump all black bears into one category is a mistake - with regards to bear protection.

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:..not one I would use a 240 grain bullet out of a .44 Mag, but that's just me.

This thread is about a back up, self defense weapon if your rifle gets knocked away and the bear is charging. Not as a primary weapon for hunting.

I remember reading an article years ago (complete with pictures) of a game warden who killed a grizzly bear after it attacked him as they were trying to release it.

At spitting distance a .44 Mag with 240 gr bullets moving over 1000 FPS can whack something pretty hard.

BH63

I refer you to the heading of this page. The guys who hunt with handguns, on purpose, know more about what works and what doesn’t than the occasional guy who has had to peal one off himself. If we followed Phil Shoemakers’ lead, we’d be carrying third gen S&W pistols chambered in 9mm.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, but had Phil’s bear charged him, the 9mm wouldn’t have been nearly as impressive....

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or not.....LOL!

OK, following dogs all night, over hills, thickest brush, pouring rain. Bear bayed, charges, shot at 3 feet with flashlight. 450lbs+
240grn.
Routine.
Oh, have you heard about the one that took the gun away from me & fired it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Or not.....LOL!

OK, following dogs all night, over hills, thickest brush, pouring rain. Bear bayed, charges, shot at 3 feet with flashlight. 450lbs+
240grn.
Routine.

I need one of those flashlights.

Ever shoot one in your pajamas and wonder what he was doing wearing them?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Or not.....LOL!

240grn.
Routine.

Hey don’t come after me. You were the one being cryptic.

Routine. Really?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:
quote:

BH63

I refer you to the heading of this page. The guys who hunt with handguns, on purpose, know more about what works and what doesn’t than the occasional guy who has had to peal one off himself.

Your second sentence is the exact reason why I posted on this page (besides there is not a Handguns For Bear Defense page).

But there is a big difference in hunting a bear with a handgun and using one for self defense.

If I were hunting a bear with a handgun, I would definitely not be using a Tarus Tracker 44. LOL

BH63

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
The difference I see is that the handgun hunter will probably handle his firearm better in a defensive situation, than the rifle or bow hunter, due to familiarity. That said, any bullet/load I choose to hunt with, I would be comfortable using in a defensive situation. I don't use frangible bullets that won't hold together under extreme conditions.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To repeat myself; I load a linotype cast 250 G. Keith over 22 G. of 2400. It WILL cure what ails ya.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
To repeat myself; I load a linotype cast 250 G. Keith over 22 G. of 2400. It WILL cure what ails ya.

Until it doesn't. I too was a believer in hardcast bullets for animal defense until I started to really test them on big, tough animals and the failure rate has been eye opening. Sometimes they work well, other times they don't. If I'm banking on something saving my hindquarters, I'm going monolithic solid or a Punch bullet. Not crapping on your suggestion, just sharing my experiences. Here are a few we pulled out of a water buffalo (I think). When the nose gets wiped off, they stop tracking straight and they don't maximize damage.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "game warden" was Louis Kis in 1987. He used a .357

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:

I remember the incident. When the truck moved, he fell right on top of the bear....

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:

Thanks for the clarification.

I remember the pictures clearer than the text.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. 63...I have the same gun in .41 Magnum...both titanium and stainless and find the "Specials" work much better than Magnums...

The cylinders are shorter than most other Magnums and using Specials help both with ejection and using heavy cast bullets as some will not fit in the cylinder in Magnum cases.

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...=product_detail&p=88

https://www.underwoodammo.com/...riant=18786990030905

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 240gr many times without problems (except for excessive recoil).
I’ll test fire the HSMs, to make sure there are no issues. Thanks for the advice.

BH63