Find
Notify
Tools

HSM Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys think of HSM hard cast

How do they compare to Buffalo Bore and Grizzly? I really like the numbers on the 230 grain Keith style 41 load. Heavy but not excessive.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I hadn't noticed it. I have bought it in a plated bullet for 45 ACP and 50 AE. I wanted to buy anything to shoot and get brass recently in 41 Mag. But the usual suspects were basically out houses. That would be Graf's and MidwayUSA in my area. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

How do they compare to Buffalo Bore and Grizzly? I really like the numbers on the 230 grain Keith style 41 load. Heavy but not excessive.

Did you give up on your quest to be a reloader?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6588 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to find an assortment of this ammo. Still not showing it in stock. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:

Did you give up on your quest to be a reloader?

I have not. I just do not have any dies. I do have a couple hundred 210 XTPs but no brass.

A local pusher has 4 boxes of these for sale. I am not familiar with them. If quality, why not. If junky, I was going to save my money.

Now, casting bullets is a different kind of alchemy.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.starlinebrass.com/41-mag-brass

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-18...+%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-1

Might as well buy them now, you are a young man with many decades of reloading in front of you.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6588 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 for 100. Snowolfe to the rescue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you made out OK. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you guys buy hunting grade hard cast bullets?

I am looking for a 230 or 250ish grain for the starline brass I ordered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, as I said earlier there are not as many offering the 41 compared to say the 45. I found some 215 gr Hunters Supply at Midway USA. I don't think I saw anything else in stock anywhere for cast bullets. You will have to search. Good luck. I am always looking. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway USA shows Cast Performance in 250 and 265 but out of stock. I must have got one of the last boxes of 215 gr. I'm still looking. Will get back if I find any. Be Well, Packy. PS Miester cast bullets has a 40-65 bullet at 260 gr RN FP 0.408". Maybe you could get them to run 500 through the 41 magnum sizing die. My only find except 215 gr. I know you wanted a big game heavy. Maybe you could look at Accurate Molds. If you already have casting gear that might get you where you want. See what size your chamber throats are and go from there. I don't own any Accurate Molds yet but there is a plan in place. I have a Lee Mold on backorder for plinkers. Tumble lube around 200 gr bullets. I like TL but what I like more is the grooved sides to engrave the rifling into the bullet. It is similar to the principle of the grooved monometal bullets of copper. And the 6 cavity aluminum molds have worked for me in the past. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beartooth is great quality. But I have had several months between the order and shipment. Marshall Stanton is a great guy. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are good quality as well:
https://www.montanabulletworks...ilter_caliber=41-Mag

I have bought them but never used them yet. Others on different forums speak highly of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you folks. One last question and I will leave everyone alone.

The difference in shape between the LFN and WFN is obvious. Which shape should I use? Please, if you will, provide a brief reason why one is better.

I think Cast Performance has went out of business or been bought out bc I can’t find them directly just discontinued listing from dealers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you folks. One last question and I will leave everyone alone.

The difference in shape between the LFN and WFN is obvious. Which shape should I use? Please, if you will, provide a brief reason why one is better.

I think Cast Performance has went out of business or been bought out bc I can’t find them directly just discontinued listing from dealers.

Easiest answer is to google:
LFN vs WFN

Enough reading to keep you busy for awhile. I thought attorneys were supposed to be good at research dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I see the debate like expert witnesses. I do not believe any of them, and since I am not paying for one side or the other, I do not know who is telling the “truth”.

Would could say I am looking for a primer on the subject.

I would prefer a book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I see the debate like expert witnesses. I do not believe any of them, and since I am not paying for one side or the other, I do not know who is telling the “truth”.

Would could say I am looking for a primer on the subject.

I would prefer a book.

Then the short answer is if you are using them for offhand shooting or deer size critters there is no difference. Lyman Cast bullet handbook is an excellent read:
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-C...c%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Here is my collection of thoughts:
1) Wide flat noise has more weight forward and more case capacity to some extent;
2) LFN is supposed to stabilize better and be more accurate at range 70-100 plus;
3) WFN has a larger wound channel caliber per weight ratios being equal;
4) Some folks think the LFN penetrates better.

Thank you for the book.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found 210 gr XTPs at Great Guns in Liberty, Misery. $41.99. They had some left on Thursday. I didn't look for the heavies. I wanted just to shoot these. I will compare them to my mild 215 gr cast loads. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not attempt to push any HSM copper washed or Hunters Supply cast to magnum velocities as you will have leading issues since both are in the neighborhood of 15Bhn.

Colorado Cast &/or Cast Performance will be of 19Bhn.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote