Find
Notify
Tools

New to me 41 Mag coming.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I just sent off the check and my FFL's paperwork for a 41 Mag Blackhawk Bisley 7.5" barrel, and yellow
box. Any one have a supplier with the ~265 gr WFN or WLN for the .41? I'm wanting a big moderate speed bullet with huge meplat. That or someone with one of the factory loaded cast in an available load? I have looked a bit and no one had Buffalo Bore or others in stock. I need a 50 round box or a couple of 20 rounders. I would prefer to get 100 rounds bought or loaded. I will eventually get a mold for the WFN or similar. I am not interested in light fast bullets unless I have to for the empties. TIA. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the find.

I bought a 657 SS 6 1/2 inch (no dash, no lock, no mim) inch Friday. I can’t wait to shoot it.

If you will pm me email or iPhone number we can exchange photos.

Does this mean we are part of the 41 Mag Cult.

Catalog would list mine as a 6 inch barrel, but from muzzle to forcing cone it is 6 1/2.

What kind of stocks does yours carry.

Shipping sucks, but you can order direct from Buffalo Bore and Grizzly worst case scenario.

Posts: 10607 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has standard Ruger grips. But Bisley is the way I wish I could have gone on my Old Army years ago. I did a lot of black powder matches and could have utilized the stocks better. I may still have the frame replaced with a custom Bisley. I am sure though that the cult thing is just waiting in ambush and I will be one of them soon. I am wishing for some of the 265 gr loads or a mold. Didn't see one at the usual suspect enablers. Midway or Grafs. Well I hope the mail service continues, politics be damned. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can order direct from Buffalo Bore and Grizzly websites.

I just Ed ordered an ox blood cattlemen’s holster from simply rugged for mine.

Ruger made a Bisley framed 41 Mag at some point.

Posts: 10607 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a Bisley framed Blackhawk. I was wishing for an Old Army to be altered to the Bisley style. I don't think I want the traditional Colt style or plow handle style of grip on any more guns after my experience with the Old Army in black powder competition. This 41 follows my wish. We shall see if my old hands and wrists can handle the recoil and hold the grip firmly. Just had a bout with a trigger finger condition in my thumb. It would pop and hurt every time I bent it and then straightened it out. Do you know how many times a day you do that? At night? On the dominant hand. It is much better now. I am going to get out this week and shoot the 50 AE and see if there is any residual problem. Shooting it wasn't the problem. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only heavy that I've been able to find and use is the 250 HP from GT Bullets. My load of 11.6 gr. of Vihtavuori N105 prints 10-shot one hole groups out of my 8-3/8" model 57. Should be running about 1170 fps, but not chronographed yet. 16.0 gr. of 2400 in my 4-5/8" Blackhawk is another good load. This is a long-nosed bullet, OAL at 1.705" so plenty of powder space for hot loads, but not needed for good expansion. Anything over 1000 fps should produce good results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking around 950 FPS. But "She who must be obeyed" says to watch out when I start to thinking. I haven't studied the loading books yet. Sometimes the start load gives me accuracy and enough power at minute of deer to give complete penetration. That sounds like a goal to me. I don't need extra snort and a massive cannon flash to have fun with a magnum gun. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Packy, I don't remember if you cast or not but if so I recommend the RCBS Semi-Keith style 210 G.SWC bullet. It is a very fine bullet that I swear by, I've been shooting it for years.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 210gr bullet hard cast out of a Lee mold at 1050 to 1100 fps out of my Ti. 41mag

I have had no trouble shooting through the heads of several bears and Side to side of deer with it.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy, I looked it up on Midways site. The RCBS 210G. mould is prod.# 190050/ MFG.# 82039. The price is $84.99 + they show to have 2 in stock. Hope this helps. They cast a very fine bullet.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would like about a 250 gr WFN and a light wadcutter in the 185 to 200 weight. Maybe I should listen to a 41 mag veteran eh? I may end up with three molds. Do you think the 250 gr is too much of a good thing? I always like a long and heavy for caliber pushed at a moderate speed. It is hard to get a train moving but even harder to stop it. Forget all the formulas. Try the moderate speed heavies. But I will wait to hear your philosophy on it. Thanks and Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy for caliber bullets are a lot more rare in .410/.411 than they are in .430 and .452. Let's just say a sectional density of .225 . . . that gives us a 322 gr in 45 caliber, a 291 gr in 44 caliber, and a 265 gr in 41 caliber. 335-360 grainers in 45 are easily found, as are 300-320 grainers in 44, but very few 41 caliber bullets over 250 gr are available. As a whitetail and pig gun, the 41 shines with 220-250 gr bullets. For larger game, I would just use the larger calibers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a point of no return + the reinvention of the wheel. All I can say is through PERSONAL experiences in performance the 210G. works! That is not theory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have 250 gr loaded rounds coming. But they will be loaded faster than I would load them. I'm finding it harder and harder to find components as we all are. I probably have the powder for good loads with H110 and some of the usual suspects. I have been sent lots of loads. You can tell the 41 is a cult following. Even Ken Waters' Pet Loads has several. Thanks for all the info. Please keep sharing. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a mold for that heavy and I would cast up a batch for you, Packy.
Bet this mold would be a daisy:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/b...bullet=41-265V-D.png

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thought Bill. I received a box of 500 215 cast Hunter's Supply Keith style bullets. I thought it was the only in stock bullets I could find that day. 41s are not plentiful and some smaller bullet casting companies don't offer anything in 41 caliber. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Saeco .411" 220gr TC GC #62415 shoots well out of my S&W 657 7.5"Bbl wheel guns & Marlin lever gun.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That SAECO sounds good. I have a box of 500 Hunters' Supply 41 cal 215 gr Keith style bullet. Should be good. But I have to get cases first. I have some loaded ammo coming but need more cases. I may have a line on some. Thanks for sharing all the info here guys. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think have some of the 250 and or 265 grain hard cast gas check bullets from Cast Performance if you still want some heavy bullets to try in your 41 mag. I used 265 grain hard cast in my 414 Supermag and I even load the 250 grain in 41 Special brass for some of my 41 Special guns and mid framed sized 41 mag guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the offer but I have some loaded ammo shipped, bought from the manufacturer as all the usual suspects said they had no loaded ammo. Midway USA, Graf and Sons are just two of them. But thanks again and Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem Sir. Glad you have some loaded stuff coming.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I begin to think I spoke out of turn. No receipts or acknowledgements have come in from the company I thought I gave the go ahead. Maybe I need to just take you up on that RBRB. If you still wish to sell it PM me. Thanks and BE WELL, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Packy, good luck and hope you enjoy the 'new' Bisley in 41 Mag. Given the barrel length and the Bisley name, is this the one with the rollmarked cylinder?

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is the rollmarked one. It is pretty but a real hogleg. Something that can get my venison as long as I do my part. It has been a challenge to find fuel to make her go bang. Before she got here I acquired primed empties, bullets, I have powder, dies, oooooops. No shell holder. Ordered that from Midway with some other small necessities. So instead of loading single stage or setting up the Dillon I am waiting on the mail. ... Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like when we were kids + waiting on the Sears wish book. Big Grin I have a Dillon 650 + have set up complete tool heads for all of my favorite calibers. Pricey initially but a great timesaver for change-outs. I really like their design on the seating die pull pin. Especially when loading cast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked a lot for loaded ammo but in the case of the fortyone it was to no avail. Thanks to all who helped. NC and all you guys take care and Be Well, Packy --- PS next question is How do I post a photo without exposing my GPS coordinates or whatever trackers come with photographic equipment these days? Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
More 41 chronicals here. Got my Dillon going on the changeover to 41 Rem Mag. I was using Winchester virgin primed brass. Couldn't get the powder measure to give me more than 18 grains. I just stopped going the right direction as I adjusted. So I used my old RCBS measure and got it to settle on 19.4 grains H110 and loaded 18 rounds 215 Gr Keith style from Hunter's Supply. They look like my dies are adjusted right if I could just get my powder charger working right. I have three cylinders full to check her and the loads out. I'm pretty sure I won't be far off for sighting in. The only real wear is a bit of cylinder line as per any used gun. The rest is good. Still looking for some photo help. Have to get a grandkid over to photo it. Then I might be able to struggle through the process myself. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sighting in my 657 with 180 Barnes this afternoon!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I believe this is Packy's new sixgun, and boy, what a beauty.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have mail, Bill. Thanks again and yes, it looks exactly like this photo. And even the turn line isn't bad. Box, papers, and even the plastic bag. A nice looker. Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking revolver Packy. Glad to hear you have your Dillon tool head set up. It sure makes reloading a breeze.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a minor glitch in the powder dispenser but I will look at it Monday. I probably have forgotten some detail and will read the directions again. The progressive presses are really great. I wore out a Dillon Precision shirt. A fanboy. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rimrock bullets out of Pablo, MT makes hardcast .41 magnum 265 grain Bullets that I load for my S&W 657-6 .41 mag. These are a handful and would not hesitate to use on black bear.

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Packy, as it is a couple of months later I hope things are well with you and your 41 Mag Bisley revolver. I failed to win an auction last spring on an official Ruger Bisley in 41 Mag, but instead picked up a different 41 Mag Blackhawk with a Bisley frame, just with a plain fluted cylinder and 6-1/2" barrel. It may be that someone took a standard RBH and adapted the Bisley frame and some nice custom grips to it. If they did, it was good work. I have only fired some Hunters Supply 200gr LFPs and some discontinued Sierra 220gr FPJs from it, but I enjoy shooting it. My only gripe is that with heavier loads my middle finger does get hit by the trigger guard. Maybe it's the way I hold it.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the design allows some people to get hit on that finger. Don't remember the solution. I thought the Bisley would solve some of that. The plowhandle grip on some high intensity loads in the Ruger Old Army hasn't hit my tweety bird finger. I am not sure about the Bisley frame. I ended up with my trigger finger thing back again. It affects the thumb and somewhat the middle finger. I had the best luck on heavy handguns with my Desert Eagle. The gas operation helps to kill some of the recoil. The massive weight helps too. I think the two factors together help to make the recoil seem much milder than it should. I only had trouble with loading a new magazine I bought. Good luck with your 41. It sounds like a great addition to your accumulation. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That photo reminded me of when I switched from A Ruger Blackhawk to the Smith & Wesson Model 57. I started hunting mule deer with the Ruger .41 Mag in about 1965. One day I rested the butt of the gun on a fence post and when it went off it laid a perfect blood blister along the fat part at the base of my palm. (The grip was just too small for my hand.) I immediately moved away from my "Western" phase to my "Dirty Harry" phase.

I traded the Ruger in on a new S&W Model 57. Later I had it engraved by S&W, mounted a scope on it, and I continue to hunt with it to this day.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
That photo reminded me of when I switched from A Ruger Blackhawk to the Smith & Wesson Model 57. I started hunting mule deer with the Ruger .41 Mag in about 1965. One day I rested the butt of the gun on a fence post and when it went off it laid a perfect blood blister along the fat part at the base of my palm. (The grip was just too small for my hand.) I immediately moved away from my "Western" phase to my "Dirty Harry" phase.

I traded the Ruger in on a new S&W Model 57. Later I had it engraved by S&W, mounted a scope on it, and I continue to hunt with it to this day.

There is nothing wrong with either of those two handguns for hunting. I have killed several mule deer, and mouflon sheep with both of those handguns chambered for 41 mag. I even killed a standing bobcat at 150 yards with a perfect heart/lung shot with a black Hawk .41 mag. I sold the Smith and kept the black hawk and still have the black hawk .41 mag that I have owned from when it was first available in that chambering, and unless Biden takes it away it will still remain my favorite hunting revolver!
..................................... oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We shall see what kind of a hunter she is. And good to hear from you MacD37. Be Well, Packy.