New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Phyton is back
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Like most things Colt. It is kind of back.

I think the action is really a worked over King Cobra action.

It does more or less look like a phyton of Old.

6 inch and 4 1/4 inch barrelonly in SS.

I expect Colt’s three dealers will get one each in five years.

Posts: 10588 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Probably spot on. The thing that sealed the deal on the old Python was the Colt Royal Blue finish.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like they have improved it.

Making it stronger and even better using stainless.

If you plan on actually using a handgun every day.

By that I mean carrying it in a holster with the thought that one might shoot something with it.

Stainless is far superior.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer blued guns and especially the high polish blue, but I'm glad they're bringing the Python back. And it does look to me like they've improved it.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it just as smooth??

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
This is another case of a pistol I can't afford but wish a buddy would buy so I could shoot it at least once.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm like that too NC. Sometimes a certain friend of mine will do that. I just have to talk it up over a few months and he eventually buys it. He's single too! Makes a difference. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
If it just as smooth??

According to Hackathorn it is smoother with no stacking

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That parts true Packy about the being single. I have a friend that is single worked overseas + when he came back stateside had money to buy up old Colts + Winchesters.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Looks to me like they have improved it.

Making it stronger and even better using stainless.

If you plan on actually using a handgun every day.

By that I mean carrying it in a holster with the thought that one might shoot something with it.

Stainless is far superior.

In 2 different review videos the "new Python" malfunctioned by not rotating the cylinder at times and in one video had failure to fire with light primers strikes

Not a good start

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colts require one to totally release the trigger other wise they may not reset.

Unlike Smiths and Rugers trying to stack them like those will give you trouble.

So I am wondering how much is technique

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cocking the hammer single action failed to rotate the cylinder as well as double action pull in the Hickock 45 video as well as the other one. Didn't do this everytime

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:

Cocking the hammer single action failed to rotate the cylinder as well as double action pull in the Hickock 45 video as well as the other one. Didn't do this everytime

Saw that in the Hickock 45 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U

To bad they have not gotten it right bad press right off the bat is no good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 Pythons in 1977 for $300 each. Think I'll keep them and let the new one go.
Hope the new ones are as accurate as mine. Did a deer at 201 yds. years ago and 5 really heavy bucks from 50-80 yds. with one shot each. Best bullet has been 158 gr. Sierra JHC.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
For me, there was never any interest in he Python as I always liked the 357 magnum N Frame of the 1960’s better. The 27 up to the end f pinned and recessed guns are good too.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up shooting a Python. Back in the 1960's a very nice man who lived close to me taught me how to cast and resize bullets when I was about 14. When all the ammo was loaded we would head out to the woods to shoot it all up. To the best of my memory is was a 6 inch blued Python with a scope on it.

Adjusted for inflation I bet a $1500 Python today is less expensive than what they cost in the 1960's. I plan on buying at least 1 after the bugs are worked out and the price settles down.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adjusted for inflation I bet a $1500 Python today is less expensive than what they cost in the 1960's. I plan on buying at least 1 after the bugs are worked out and the price settles down

I am thinking the same but 2 of them a 4 and 6

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to note about the new Python is the barrel twist rate.
It's a 1:14" twist.
Should be good with the heavy bullets.

I've handled one of these new ones just hours after handling a properly tuned original model Python.
Although the mechanism is completely different, it has a good *somewhat linear* trigger pull in double action.
They can be improved too.

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until they're Royal Blue with wood grips, no interest here.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope to buy one once they've fixed the cylinder rotation issue, even though I generally prefer blued guns.

I saw a SHOT show video where one of the product guys at Colt indicated they've taken in the malfunctioning gun and can't re-create the issue. He vaguely blames cheap ammo. Since I watched the issue in two videos and don't think it could have been an ammo issue, this Colt denial has me more concerned than the issue itself originally did. The hand has to be backing up under the pressure of cylinder lock up (which can be ammo related) or something, right? The rest of the lockwork should be arrested if the cylinder locks up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He vaguely blames cheap ammo.

I was at SHOT 3 years ago and had the than new ruger 10mm red hawk mis fire many times.

Ruger blamed the new in the box Hornaday ammo BS.

Hickcock 45 was using new the box federal ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
P Dog Shooter, yes I agree on hickok45 using good, new ammo. And he obviously wants the gun to be successful. No axe to grind there.

Here's the American Rifleman video with the SVP from Colt; I fixated on him blaming the ammo, but he also says Colt will make it right and that they've done a lot of testing and had good results.

I don't like all the online end-of-the-world worry-mongering, but when you look at history of bad launches like the Remington 105 CTi it's hard not to worry the design isn't unfixable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTtDUkBw1Q4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Common flu kills 30k Americans and hospitalizes 200k a year.

Let’s hope this sucker is controlled fast.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Common flu kills 30k Americans and hospitalizes 200k a year.

Let’s hope this sucker is controlled fast.

Mike

And this has what to do with the Colt Python? LOL

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
P Dog Shooter, yes I agree on hickok45 using good, new ammo. And he obviously wants the gun to be successful. No axe to grind there.

Here's the American Rifleman video with the SVP from Colt; I fixated on him blaming the ammo, but he also says Colt will make it right and that they've done a lot of testing and had good results.

I don't like all the online end-of-the-world worry-mongering, but when you look at history of bad launches like the Remington 105 CTi it's hard not to worry the design isn't unfixable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTtDUkBw1Q4

The new edition of American Rifleman reviewing the Reintroduced King Cobra also had a sample fail to rotate. The Reintroduced King Cobra and Reintroduced Phyton have the same action.

Posts: 10588 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANY revolver with rotation issues makes a good trotline weight.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire handgun as a 6” bright stainless Python in the late 80s. That got stolen. About 5-6 years ago I took in a 6” blued from a client. It was in very rough shape, but still smooth action. After shooting it,

I remembered why I dislike the .357. It’s just such a violent cartridge. I enjoy shooting my .44s much more. I ended up trading for a Steyr .270.

I’ll look at the new rendition, but probably won’t be a buy.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted Hide Post
There are now 2 different guys on YouTube with the same Python problems: Cylinder not rotating 100% of the time and light primer strikes.
Granted the second "kid" with this same problem as Hickok is obviously not a true gun-guy (makes up his own words for different pistol/revolver parts), but still, these are pretty basic mechanical issues for a DA revolver to have.
I'm amazed it could make it through R&D with such an obvious issue.
There is something else going on here, and it ain't the ammo if the cylinder isn't turning "some of the time".

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two new pieces of info:

Found a thread on a King Cobra with the same issue. Local gunsmith replaced the hand spring and it apparently fixed the problem.

Also, saw a King Cobra target in my LGS. Looks great and feels great in the hand...

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJS50:
There are now 2 different guys on YouTube with the same Python problems: Cylinder not rotating 100% of the time and light primer strikes.
Granted the second "kid" with this same problem as Hickok is obviously not a true gun-guy (makes up his own words for different pistol/revolver parts), but still, these are pretty basic mechanical issues for a DA revolver to have.
I'm amazed it could make it through R&D with such an obvious issue.
There is something else going on here, and it ain't the ammo if the cylinder isn't turning "some of the time".

Now a 3rd, with the crown looking like it was finished the a hoof file. These are obviously not the same quality as the originals.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was glad to see this:

https://www.americanrifleman.o...issues-in-new-video/

Colt's traced/reproduced/admitted the 3 problems (light primer strikes, no cylinder rotation, and bad barrel crowns) and is addressing them, it looks like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A revolver being ammo sensitive (light primer strikes being due to imported ammo according to video) now I have heard everything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500,

That makes perfect sense to me.

I've over-lightened the hammer spring doing trigger jobs and had the gun be unable to ignite CCI primers but be 100% on Federals and Winchesters. And I have a Taurus 22 WMR that will ignite any ammo single action but only certain brands double action.

I think they were trying to make a factory "trigger job" with a nice light mainspring, but it won't set off the hard primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct. I was not questioning that such a condition was possible from a mechanic or engineering stand point.

Simply find that Colt managed to build an ammo sensitive revolver so flabbergasting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You fellows need to read this and there's also a picture of the internals on the new Python.

https://singleactions.proboard...w-photos-colt-python

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vzerone,

Great thread; thanks for posting it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been watching these sell on Gunbrokers. Prices are staying high. Was hoping to see selling prices of $1500 but don’t think that is going to happen anytime soon.