New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elmer kieths 44 articles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fellas anyone got links to Elmer kieths articles on the 44 special and his developments with the cartridge?

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
There is a 44 Associates Facebook page that may have what you are looking for.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I will check it out. I remember a couple of longer articles of his where he was almost laying back on the ground using his bent knee to steady the pistol barrel for long range. Probably a name for that type of shooting position. Assuming I have remembered the details accurately, it was over 20 years since I read it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
yeah, that was a very iconic photograph. I think everyone remembers it. He was truly the father of the 44 Magnum through his working of the 44 spl. We all owe a lot to him. I always enjoyed his column when he was the editor for "Guns + Ammo" in the 70s.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Press has a collection of his Guns and SAMMI articles in book form.

The cover photo shows him in Stetson and 44

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That shooting position of Elmer's is called the Creedmoor. You have to make sure the barrel-cylinger gap is past your leg or you can get a serious burn. I've seen some put a thick leather pad between the gun and leg to shield the blast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Order Keith's "Sixguns" on ABE Books.com. Quite an education and at the least entertainment and history. I have mine. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 hardbound copies of "Sixguns". I forgot that I already had one + when a member posted, so I bought another. That's the problem of having so many books that you can't remember what you already have. On a humorous note, he was almost illiterate so when he presented his books + articles the editors had one helluva a time to try to work up his words into English that could be understood.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i heard they had to "clean up" a few of the articles too. i loved it when he said anyone that had to wear a glove when shooting a 44 mag had pinklace on their panties, or something similiar

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, took a while to find this again

one of us
posted Hide Post
My apology for sidetracking but take a look on artickles from Brian Pearce:

https://www.handloadermagazine...-w-special-pet-loads

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc...e%2044%20Special.pdf

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
find one of the books on the "keith letters".... they were written advice from the nra's magazine that he personally wrote back … and signed in pencil... he had a monthly column.. 'dope bag'...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then he did a Q+A column in the mid-70s in "Guns + Ammo" where he was editor. Then Bill Jordan replaced him as his health was getting worse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Onty:
My apology for sidetracking but take a look on artickles from Brian Pearce:

https://www.handloadermagazine...-w-special-pet-loads

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc...e%2044%20Special.pdf

Thanks, anything 44 is good Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a humorous note, he was almost illiterate so when he presented his books + articles the editors had one helluva a time to try to work up his words into English that could be understood.

I can assure you, Elmer was nowhere near illiterate! Maybe you just used a poor choice of words, but Elmer had no trouble putting his thoughts and ideas on paper, and getting his point across.

I have four of his letters from 1945 and 1946, and they certainly don't show that Elmer wasn't able to write, on the contrary, he was quite able. Now, if you actually meant to say that Elmer had a very distinctive style of writing, you would be correct. Thoughts just seem to pour out randomly, sentences run on forever, and occasionally one sentence lasts for a whole (long) paragraph. All these letters are single spaced, and with long sentence paragraphs, can be somewhat difficult to read. If you don't know what he is writing about, or referring to, even more so. In addition, Elmer could be quite opinionated at times, and he wasn't afraid to state his. I would not have have enjoyed being one of his editors, by any stretch of the imagination.

Basically, to Elmer, there were only two ways of doing things, his way (the correct way) and all other ways (the wrong way)! We are still infinitely better by having him as long as we did.

Somewhere there is a fairly new book composed entirely of Elmer's letters, unfortunately I wasn't aware of it when it was being published, so mine aren't in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I met Elmer Keith at the Houston gun show when I was a kid. At the time, I was reading everything he wrote like it was scripture. I had just bought my first 44 mag (a Ruger Super Blackhawk) and had a 1000 questions. He was patient and encouraging and was in no hurry "to chase off an annoying kid". To this day I still shoot 250KT bullets over a good dose of 2400.

Safe shooting.........LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir, that's the load. I use it myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you. I have not seen these before.

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I should have the Keith letters book in a few days. ABE Books shows some stores with them in stock. ... PS. I have the book now. I have read the forward and some letterrs. He was a great one for knowledge and could have been helpful but I didn't really get into handguns, with questions, until he was gone. I missed out. I am trying to make up for it with these letters and two other books I reread sometimes. Be Well, Packy.