Notify
Tools

England Vs NZ
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
WHERE the hell do they find these rucking feferees? Roll Eyes

I didn't expect England to win and in fact, they played a LOT better than I expected but as usual, the ref and his assistants were up to their usual piss poor standards. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve

England played there heart out and yes the refs aint as good as a few years ago.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Luan,

I can hardly remember a time when the referees were really as good as they should be..... and they have no excuses now thry have all that technology to help them. Roll Eyes

Some of them behave as though they don't even know the basic rules of the game..... and my pet hate is how so many totally ignore the high tackle issues. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of them behave as though they don't even know the basic rules of the game..... and my pet hate is how so many totally ignore the high tackle issues.

There are no rules in rugby only "Laws". Big Grin

No such thing as a high tackle either. Howeverr the Law Book specifically mentions Dangerous tackles and each has to be adjudicated on an individual basis.

One thing to remember is the push for lowerr penalty counts from the powers that be. A lot of things I would have called in the past I will try to play Advantage through if I can now to lower the count.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1025 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hasher

You're not thinking of that nasty American game rather than proper rugby are you?

In proper rugby, a high tackle (above the shoulders) is a foul.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportaca..._4028000/4028791.stm

" When you tackle an opponent, you cannot make contact with their head.

This is entirely for safety reasons.

The referee will instantly give a penalty if he sees a high tackle.

And he will also have a few words to say to the tackler if he thinks the challenge was dangerous.

Expect a yellow card and a spell in the sin-bin or worse, a red card and instant dismissal.

So aim for your opponent's chest, waist or legs, you will make a better tackle if you aim for those areas in the first place "

Players are also not allowed to tackle someone who is in the air either and the fact that so many do and so many Refs ignore it also pisses me off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I eak of that faggoty gridiron american "throwball" armour up like medieval knights stop every few seconds change players whenever you want shite.

I speak of teh game started by William Webb Ellis at Rugby School in 1823 ( and which the Americans are teh only DOUBLE gold medalists and gurrent reigning medal holders ( yeas I realise it was from 1928 or so. Big Grin.

Now a little background on me and rugby. I have been involved in some form or another since 1983 at the age of 17.

83-92 player College and club.
92-Today referee. I am also our terrratorial refere assigner and responsible for an areas larger than all of western and most of eastern Europe. I have also taken the Referee Evaluators course.
2002-2006 Collegiate coach. Won national titles back to back in 2002 and 2003 and made the final 8 the following 3 years.

In Proper rugby a tackle at or above the shoulders is going to be a penalty most of the time. However a refere must judge intent and materality. Like a 6'7" lock tackling a 5'3" scrum half who ducks just as the tackle is made.

There is no such bloody thing as a high tackle. The term ios dangerous tackle and the new one we must watch for the "dump tackle" which we are to now to refer to as the "tackle past horizontal". Dangerous can be at teh chest or waist such as a spear or no wrap tackle.

BTW most good referees dont "instantly " give a penalty fo ra dangerous tackle since unless it is really agregious we will play advantage and then bring it back if nothing is gained. Or of we are dicks and it is near the goal we might give a penalty try. LOL

I was at a college game a few weeks ago and on the opening kickoff a player proceded to play the recviever in the air and then treat him to a dumo tackle on the way down. Yeah all that in the opening 5 seconds. Needless to say he sat in the bin for a LONG 10 minutes. Had he not gone to ground with him or had he speared him in I would have red carded his ass right then and there. Oddly when he came back in he played penalty free the rest of the match.

Now lets quit arguing aboutthis and you find me a game to referee near Koster Sa in June of 11 when I am there hunting.

I think I got the Jo'Berg hash run covered. Big Grin

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1025 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Well the world must be improving...... an American that plays rugby and uses the word bloody! Good on yer! tu2

OK, now I know you're civilised, I guess we're just talking semantics..... the term high tackle was certainly used when I was at school........... but we're really talking the same thing... and you're right, the refs often don't do anything about them, which was the point I was trying to make.

My post below the link was a quote from the link. I know I should have made that clear and forgot..... I'll correct that just now.

I think Koster is near Rustenburg? - In which case, you might get to see a decent game.